Disgaea 3 Announced

Todd33

Veteran
Banned
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/805/805607p1.html

After years of sucking time away from PlayStation 2 owners, Nippon Ichi is finally moving on to the next generation. At Sony's PlayStation Premier event in Tokyo today, the third party publisher formally announced Disgaea 3 for the PlayStation 3.

Of course my favorite PS2 game of all time is Disgaea. I was looking for Disgaea 2 last night on eBay, so it was a nice surprise to hear about a PS3 follow-up.

I never played it. How was it?

It's a turn based tactical RPG with tons of humor and goofy 2D graphics.

IGN says:

The most amazing thing about Disgaea: Hour of Darkness, though, is just how incredibly fun it is. Humorous, entertaining, and different from just about anything else in its category, we aren't afraid to say that it's one of the best PlayStation 2 titles this year.

The same folks have a new PS2 game called Odin Sphere that is getting good reviews.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps2/odinsphere

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah I saw Odin Sphere's review at gametrailers.

I loved that game's style and visuals and brings memories of the good old 2D arcade games :D

I would love to have that. I ll check Disgea too. These developers seem to know how to make fan games

Odin Sphere isn't by Nippon Ichi.. It's done by a different company (the same one that did GrimGrimgoire.. I think thats the right spelling?)..

Disgaea Is just pure awesomeness..!

Also it's interesting to see the developer of such a niche franchise finally attaining enough confidence in sales potential that they'd announce a PS3 installment at this time.. Maybe they expect the install base (more specifically in Japan where these kind of RPGs tend to be the most popular) to be in a good place by the time the game is ready to ship..

I'm just happy to see all the awesome JRPG goodness of the PS2 finally begining the transition to the new platform.. :D

Now all we need are some Wild arms, suikoden, .HACK, Digital Devil Saga etc. and PS3 will be complete! ;)

Same publisher (Atlus), which does many games like that, but different developer, yes. Vanillaware was only recently formed (like, 2003) and includes old Atlus designers (most prominently the ones from Princess Crown.)

It's not really much surprise that their projects (which are, at the moment, only Odin Sphere and Grim Grimoire) resemble others of Atlus' forte.

Still been meaning to pick up Magna Carta...

At first i was put off a little by the cutsy graphics, but then i was engulfed in the humor and story. What really did it for me was the Japanese voices, every game they've made (nippon ichi) has the option to use japanese voices and english text. I love it.

I wonder how it'll look if you consider that the previous Disgaea looked like slightly pimped PSone games. Katamari simplicity of the environments in 1080 would make me cry with joy. Also i hope they keep their targeting system, one of thier games you play as a book (long story made short) and the targeting was awful, good game but the targeting... oh so frustrating! Fun game nevertheless but i do hope they keep the targeting and characters and humor... Can you tell i'm a fan of this game series or what?

/kid in me: more neeeeeeeeeeeeews! i want more!

I picked this up via Gamefly, I might keep it. It has trophies now. The humor and gamesply are as good as ever. This might be the first JRPG I play this gen.

Back