TGS console poll result - what is the most popular console in Japan?

Shifty Geezer

uber-Troll!
Legend
Kotaku reports the results of TGS poll.
At this year's Tokyo Game Show, event organizers polled 1,171 attendees on a variety of topics, including the Move and Kinect....
This was a two-part question. The second part asked attendees to list the game console that they currently play the most. Those results:

• No reply: 34.3 percent
• PlayStation Portable: 18.7
• PlayStation 3: 13.7
• Nintendo DS/DS Lite: 13.1
• Nintendo DSi/DSi XL: 6.7
• Nintendo Wii: 4.7
• PlayStation 2: 4.4
• Xbox 360: 3.8
• GameBoy Advance (SP): 0.2
• PlayStation: 0.2
• Nintendo GameCube: 0.0
• PSPgo: 0.3
Ownership figures at Kotaku. Sony must be please, owning some 50% of respondants' game time and having far more play time on PS3 despite more respondants owning Wii. Wii's surprisingly low. I wonder what a poll of the general Japanese population would reveal?

Not really surprising, heres the (sep10) famitsu most wanted results.
History shows us, these tie in quite well with sales
Only 2 wii titles, true one is number 3, but it doesnt bode well for future wii sales in japan

1. Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (PSP, Capcom)
2. Pokemon Black & White (NDS, Nintendo)
3. Dragon Quest X (Wii, Square Enix)
4. Ninokuni: Shikkoku no Madoshi (NDS, Level 5)
5. Tales of Graces f (PS3, Bandai Namco)
6. Final Fantasy XIV (PS3, Square Enix)
7. Final Fantasy Versus XIII (PS3, Square Enix)
8. Tactics Ogre: Unmei no Wa [Wheel of Fate] (PSP, Square Enix)
9. Gran Turismo 5 (PS3, Sony)
10. K-On! Houkago Live!! (PSP, Sega)
11. Metal Gear Solid Rising (PS3, Konami)
12. Lord of Arcana (PSP, Square Enix)
13. The Last Remnant (PS3, Square Enix)
14. Final Fantasy Agito XIII (PSP, Square Enix)
15. Hitokui no Owashi Trico [The Last Guardian] (PS3, Sony)
16. Dead Rising 2 (PS3, Capcom)
17. Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon X (PSP, Bandai Namco)
18. Kurohyou: Ryu ga Gotoku Shinshou (PSP, Sega)
19. The Last Story (Wii, Nintendo)
20. Shining Hearts (PSP, Sega)
21. Vanquish (PS3, Sega)
22. Okamiden (NDS, Capcom)
23. Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded (NDS, Square Enix)
24. Fantasy Life (NDS, Level 5)
25. Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle (3DS, Level 5)
26. God Eater Burst (PSP, Bandai Namco)
27. Ninokuni: Shiroki Seihai no Joou (PS3, Level 5)
28. Eiyuu Densetsu: Zero no Kiseki [Legend of Heroes] (PSP, Nihon Falcom)
29. Radiant Historia (NDS, Atlus)
30. Ken to Mahou no Gakuen Mono 3 [Class of Heres 3] (PS3, Acquire]

I don't think Kinect will be of any help for MS in Japan, whereas I see positive reactions in France I see a lot of concern in regard to space you need to enjoy it. This has to be even truer in Japan.

So it looks like Sony is set to won over Japan this gen.

Well I was a bit surprised. All those Wii's sold, but the idea that they are sitting around gathering dust in many households seems supported by this sample.
But is it any different in the west, sure the ninetndo titles sell very well but bugger all of the 3rd party's do (wii-dance etc are the only ones) in contrast to the HD consoles.
On the horizon WRT wii software theres not much more interesting stuff coming hence I believe the interest has shifted away from it

Yeah, if you don't count the 5 million unit lead the Wii has over the PS3, or the 16 million unit lead the NDS has over the PSP. Then Sony would totally have this gen won.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=412672

He said "set to win", in which i think there's still a chance. Especially when you look at how the PS3 is selling in Japan in comparson with the Wii. He also made no mention of the NDS so i don't know why you felt so compelled to point out the blindingly obvious there.

I'm not sure its possible for the PS3 overcome the Wii's 5 million lead in Japan before the Next-Gen consoles launch. But i can see it happening eventually and i believe that's what Liolio was refering to in an eventual case.

Yeah, if you don't count the 5 million unit lead the Wii has over the PS3, or the 16 million unit lead the NDS has over the PSP. Then Sony would totally have this gen won.
What do you nean by 'won'? Install base, sure, but in terms of providing gamers with entertainment - that is, winning the 'console brand of the generation' - then apparently not. And what does install base matter if it's not being used? In business terms, to 'win' would be to make the most money. Well Nintendo have done that this generation even if they stop now and spend the rest of the time sunning themselve in the Bahamas!

Don't you (and the internet population at large) get tired of seeing the whole console gaming scene in terms of a single figure, consoles sold, as if that's the only relevant measure? If you were to recommend a handheld to a Japanese gamer friend, would you suggest DS because it's sold the most, or PSP because the most people play it? Or even look at a bigger picture?

At this year's Tokyo Game Show, event organizers polled 1,171 attendees on a variety of topics, including the Move and Kinect....

Meaning the demographic is mostly males in their 20's. Not exactly a good base to represent figures on. You will probably get a lot different result if they'd asked a more diverse group.

No-one said otherwise. That should be taken for granted with any poll. (Do we really need reminding of such principles every time there's a poll? You'd think the B3D populace would know how it works by now.)

Yeah no denying Wii is in trouble, or that PS3 has pulled ahead in Japan, obviously, but seems to me they surveyed a bunch of hardcore gamers (TGS), so what did one expect?

Also funny how they split the various DS into two groups, placing the PSP higher, when really the DS is ahead there. Pretty much the same way you often see Japan weekly sales split like that giving the PSP the nominal "victory". I like the way GAF posts the MC numbers now, DS all combined, with a breakdown of DS by SKU below the main figures.

But like I said, no doubt the Wii's struggles have hit Japan a long time ago, heck they may have started there, leaving PS3 to fill the vacuum. PSP is also strongest in Japan as well.

Also funny how they split the various DS into two groups, placing the PSP higher, when really the DS is ahead there.
That's true. Odd distinction to make as it's essentially one platform. They should have a combined DS figure and split it. Same with PSP and Go, except Go is so laughably insignificant that it's probably best ignored!

But like I said, no doubt the Wii's struggles have hit Japan a long time ago, heck they may have started there, leaving PS3 to fill the vacuum. PSP is also strongest in Japan as well.
Would be very nice to get the same poll with non-gamers, so we know exactly what's going on. Potentially, it could be Wii gamers are playing Wii all the time, just with the same games. The industry really needs to know such info.

No idea what won means in this context. I wasn't the one to bring it up in the first place. I just find it odd to proclaim any kind of victory based on such a narrow audience poll, especially for products that are on pace to catch up in install base in 20 years or more.

Would be very nice to get the same poll with non-gamers, so we know exactly what's going on. Potentially, it could be Wii gamers are playing Wii all the time, just with the same games. The industry really needs to know such info.

It may change some, but I don't think it would change significantly. A side effect of my looking at all those financial statements in the other thread was seeing how relatively poorly the Wii is doing among third party Japanese publishers which certainly isn't going to help when looking ahead. It's odd when Wii does relatively better for Western pubs when compared to the other two console platforms. There's a lot of potential insight that can be gleaned from just that alone.

But it does speak to the potential problem/question this poll brings up. When looking at the Wii, the poll seems to support the notion that outside of the big megahit Nintendo published games, the console just doesn't get used much. Hence, why among those core gamer types, Wii is the more widely owned console (for those big hits that alot of people want, but are infrequently released) but PS3 is more popular (smaller hits but more of them released).

Regards,
SB

Back