DirectX 12: The future of it within the console gaming space (specifically the XB1)

It can have missing information.

Instead Microsoft says nothing, drops prices, buys temporary exclusives at high prices to increase sales, and Phil Spencer even comes out saying DX 12 will not dramatically change the Xbox.

This is often misquoted out of context, Phil was answering a question about the development of games, and how it might affect the xbox.

Also there have already been modified block diagrams of the xbox one; one from hotchips and another which showed more details in the IEEE document, so I think it is possible to hide something within a general statement and then elaborate at a later date. For the record I do not think there might be a hidden GPU or CU.

Look discussing improvements to the Xbox One brought on by the adoption of DX12 is fine and even realistic. The hidden hardware talk needs to go away. The Xbox One doesn't need any hidden secret magic sauce. It is a well designed system that runs super quiet. It has some unique architecture going on under the hood memory and audio wise. It's CPU is adequate and improving thru XDK updates as far as game side. It GPU is plenty powerful. People seem to forget that we are only a little over a year in to this gen.
As Sebbbi has said devs haven't even scratched the surface of either system.
They are still using engines that have a DX9-10 base. Gpgpu hasn't been widely adopted either. So please hidden hardware is not needed.

There is only a weekend left everybody, lets stay civil. If you really want to believe there is extra hardware, that's fine. But wait out the weekend before posting, you can only win from waiting. If you are right, we all eat crow. If you are wrong, there's no loss on your side.
Look discussing improvements to the Xbox One brought on by the adoption of DX12 is fine and even realistic. The hidden hardware talk needs to go away. The Xbox One doesn't need any hidden secret magic sauce. It is a well designed system that runs super quiet. It has some unique architecture going on under the hood memory and audio wise. It's CPU is adequate and improving thru XDK updates as far as game side. It GPU is plenty powerful. People seem to forget that we are only a little over a year in to this gen.
As Sebbbi has said devs haven't even scratched the surface of either system.
They are still using engines that have a DX9-10 base. Gpgpu hasn't been widely adopted either. So please hidden hardware is not needed.
Yup. I agree, everything that is there is there. Xbox One, should it actually benefit from being a DX12 device will be about how it's architecture is designed specifically for DX12 based games. How have the engineers predicted the way the games are going to be rendered using DX12, and how X1 was designed to accommodate that. If this is truly a DX12 machine, then the answer should be staring at us point blank.

The answer, should it reveal itself would be a sum of many things put together as a holistic solution, it shouldn't be just one that requires unlocking.

edit: grammar

Last edited:
This is often misquoted out of context, Phil was answering a question about the development of games, and how it might affect the xbox.

Really?

Eventually, Phil moved on to talk about one of the most hot topics in the industry, and gave a very straightforward statement on how DirectX 12, the upcoming highly anticipated next iteration of Microsoft’s DirectX graphics API, will affect the Xbox One console, and whether it will serve as a game-changer by somehow giving a boost to the power of the console’s graphics processing unit. He clarified that DirectX 12 will surely improve next-gen games’ quality on the Xbox One, but it won’t change the console’s graphics capabilities as its CPU, GPU and the memory would not change with DirectX 12 implementation. He said:

“On the DX12 question, I was asked early on by people if DX12 is gonna dramatically change the graphics capabilities of Xbox One and I said it wouldn’t. I’m not trying to rain on anybody’s parade, but the CPU, GPU and memory that are on Xbox One don’t change when you go to DX12. DX12 makes it easier to do some of the things that Xbox One’s good at, which will be nice and you’ll see improvement in games that use DX12, but people ask me if it’s gonna be dramatic and I think I answered no at the time and I’ll say the same thing.”

Am I reading those lines wrong? Phil is specifically talking about graphics power, not game development!

PS: That doesn't mean Xbox will not benefit from DX 12, because it will!

Really?

Am I reading those lines wrong? Phil is specifically talking about graphics power, not game development!
You didn't. You read it correctly and Phil is being straight forward no BS.

He writes this though:
DX12 makes it easier to do some of the things that Xbox One’s good at, which will be nice and you’ll see improvement in games that use DX12

We're all probably wondering what the Xbox One is good at LOL. As I started earlier, I think it's there staring at us in the face, but we need to see the whole API to know.

The 50 processors you guys were speaking of earlier was actually listed as 50 mcus. (Microcontroller units)
That could mean anything and most likely is a reference to embedded memory controllers in the esram and GPU/CPU.
I know some people take this to mean secret magic, but that isn't reality.

We all know that MS likes to use different nomenclature than AMD. MCU can stand for anything. Nvidia's SMs in its gpus are sometimes referred to as MCUs. MCUs might simply refer to the number of SIMD units in the XB1's gpu of which there are 48.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jwm
If nothing else, it should be very interesting in terms of rendering tech. ;)

Let me divide the people that read this thread on several groups:

1 - Those who seek to know the advantages of DX 12 for all systems... and those are real! DX 12 will improve on GFX tech and CPU usage. It will bring extra processing power at zero cost. Specially on PC that has no Low Level API

2 - Those who seek the advantages that it will bring to Xbox One. But here we have to split this in two cases.

2.1 - Those who seek the advantages DX 12 will bring to Xbox, and all Low Level API console games. And these will happen!

2.2 - Those who seek the advantages DX 12 will bring to Xbox One that allows it to surpass the PS4.

And expectations for these are quite diferent.

People searching for 1, will be quite happy with DX 12.
Those looking for 2.1 will be a bit disapointed or a bit happy. Xbox One will not benefit so much as PC from the API as is already uses parts of the API, but it will gain!
Those looking for 2.2 will be disapointed when they see that the PS4 API will do just the same!

Yea; This thread has actually been a catch all for a lot dx12 discussions simply because it was getting the most number of views. Overall it's pretty good, the dx11vsdx12 has some cross over and redundancy as well.

We should have made a pure dx12 thread in retrospect and this thread would have been purely about the XO variant.

Let me divide the people that read this thread on several groups:

1 - Those who seek to know the advantages of DX 12 for all systems... and those are real! DX 12 will improve on GFX tech and CPU usage. It will bring extra processing power at zero cost. Specially on PC that has no Low Level API

2 - Those who seek the advantages that it will bring to Xbox One. But here we have to split this in two cases.

2.1 - Those who seek the advantages DX 12 will bring to Xbox, and all Low Level API console games. And these will happen!

2.2 - Those who seek the advantages DX 12 will bring to Xbox One that allows it to surpass the PS4.

And expectations for these are quite diferent.

People searching for 1, will be quite happy with DX 12.
Those looking for 2.1 will be a bit disapointed or a bit happy. Xbox One will not benefit so much as PC from the API as is already uses parts of the API, but it will gain!
Those looking for 2.2 will be disapointed when they see that the PS4 API will do just the same!
I agree with you completely. The new ability DX12 brings will benefit gamers no matter what platform. It isn't just about low overhead or to the metal. It is about multi threading and paralism. Now there are some people who only care about DX 12 because of the console wars, but try not to group people into this group by a few comments they make on a forum.

At the least I hope Blizzard releases some form of DX12 patch for Diablo 3. I'm positive my lag fest on my PC was due to poor single threaded performance. That game really killed things when things went over the top. Split over 4 cores any computer would be able to crush both Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3.

It's interesting because Blizzard tries to make games that are for baseline specs, yet their games scale enough often to cause some serious chugging when the unit and effect counts go through the roof. It is quite a perfect use case for such an API

Apparently AMD cards now have DX12 drivers released as long as you have Windows 10 technical preview installed.

http://community.amd.com/community/...ng-units-the-world-s-best-socs-for-directx-12

Speaking of compatibility, all AMD APUs and GPUs based on the award-winning Graphics Core Next architecture are already DirectX® 12-compliant. Just install the Windows® 10 Technical Preview, grab the latest updates, and you’re ready to go!

- See more at: http://community.amd.com/community/...best-socs-for-directx-12#sthash.jeMdzKaB.dpuf

Back