Nintendo Switch Price Speculation (Last Week Poll)

Nintendo Switch SKU Prices? [Pick 2 for Basic and Deluxe SKUs]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nintendo games have more credibility than whatever games that other device is likely to be able to drum up.

So the Switch only has 3 pros for 2017 since that's there's only Zelda, Mario Kart, and Mario Odyssey, right?

I was comparing Vita vs. 2012 state-of-the art to Switch vs. 2017 state-of-the-art.
What a nonsence, why don't you compare with state-of-the-art notebook chips or APUs in stationare consoles then?
Why are you not comparing PS4 Pro hardware with state-of-the-art PC hardware in other threads right now? :D

I wasn't comparing Vita vs. Switch. That would be stupid.
Сomparing Vita vs. Switch is fine since both have similar form factors, periphery and requirements. Comparing "state-of-the-art" perf for devices with totally different requirements is utterly stupid unless you are trying to figure some characteristics.
iPad Pro doesn't have the same power consumption and TDP constraints as iPad 2. iPad Pro has a different chip than iPad Air 2 if you have not noticed this already. A9X is a large mobile SoC produced on the quite expensive tech process, which was specifically designed for higher TDPs and larger form factors than A8X.
TX1 is a totally different chip, it was designed for many form factors, it can be scaled from mobile phones and handhelds to top tier tablets and video streaming devices at the expense of performance of course.
The same is true for other devices with different form factors and same SoCs, take for example iPad Pro 9.7 and iPad Pro, do they have the same performance?

As for TX1 vs A9X, they are actually quite close in performance despite of 2x higher bandwidth of A9X, they are already of the same class raw perf. wise.
TX1 produced at the same 16nm FF+ tech process would definitely be on par with A9X in such obsolete and dated 1440p mobile benchmarks as Manhattan 3.1.1
I can easily imagine TX1 being much better at some more meaningful modern workloads in more sensible resolutions because of, you know, all those useless and outdated DX12 FL12_1 features with a handful of Maxwell specific features on top of that :rolleyes:
BTW Was Vita GPU as feature rich at release? Was it even at DX11 level?:nope:

Where did you find S805's theoretical compute throughput?
Calculated them by myself, S805's GPU has 128 ALUs and 600 MHz boost frequency for a first few minutes of benchmark, then it dips to ~400 MHz levels

No. If it's aTX1 then it uses a 2 year-old chip with an outdated manufacturing process.
A8X built on the same outdated tech process, so what? Wasn't Vita GPU built on the outdated 45nm Samsung tech process? Back then 28nm tech process was already available.
Moreover, there is always an opportunity for a shrink, unlike Vita's SoC, TX1 is a simple chip without any esoteric wideIO stuff, so shrink should be pretty straightforward

What a nonsence, why don't you compare with state-of-the-art notebook chips or APUs in stationare consoles then?
Why are you not comparing PS4 Pro hardware with state-of-the-art PC hardware in other threads right now? :D

I replied on @eastmen 's comment about which console was the most capable for its time frame.
You're the one who jumped in with a make-believe discussion about a direct Vita vs. Switch comparison.
Which yes is stupid because they're using process nodes that are 3 generations apart, among other reasons.

And yes, I have compared the PS4 Pro to PC components with similar power consumption levels. Many others have too, in this very forum.
DigitalFoundry also does such comparisons every time there's a new console. Feel free to think it's nonsense and ignore. No one makes you read it.

iPad Pro doesn't have the same power consumption and TDP constraints as iPad 2.
The ipad pro 9.7 (which is what I clearly mentioned in my post) has the same power/TDP constraints as the ipad 2. Or maybe it's even more constrained because the former is a substantially thinner device, but we'll leave it at that.

Wasn't Vita GPU built on the outdated 45nm Samsung tech process? Back then 28nm tech process was already available.
What device carrying a 28nm chip was available in mass quantities back in November 2011?
TSMC's 28nm mass production only started in late October 2011 and the Vita launched a month later with several million consoles available on day 1. Not even apple could get 28nm for the A5X which would only release in March 2012.
So no, 45nm wasn't outdated back then.
Comparably, come March 2017:
- apple will have had 16FF chips in mass production for a year and a half
- nVidia will have had 16FF GPUs for a year
- AMD will be launching its second generation of 14FF GPUs
- Microsoft will have had a mass produced console with 16FF chips for ~9 months
- Sony will have had two mass produced consoles with 16FF chips for 5 months
- Even Spreadtrum has had 16FF SoCs for several months, and lesser-known chinese SoC makers are the last ones getting a ticket for the latest process

It is fairly well established that Maxwell is more efficient than GCN3 (Excavator vs A57 efficiency I have no idea of).
It's 8 CUs / 512sp, 32 TMUs and 8 ROP. They claim it's clocked at 800MHz, so that would be 820GFLOPs.
Maxwell is indeed more efficient but this iGPU is a lot wider as is clocking a lot higher.

Although an interesting product, when playing intensive games that will have terrible battery life.
They specifically say 5 hours of gaming. Even if it does half of that on demanding games, it'll simply be matching the Switch.
Looking at the shape, I'd say they're using cylindrical batteries inside the handgrips, like the original Shield console before it. Total capacity in the Shield console was 29Wh, whereas the Switch has a 16Wh battery.

And yes, I have compared the PS4 Pro to PC components with similar power consumption levels. Many others have too, in this very forum.
I hope you have compared PS4 Pro hardware with something like GP102? So, is it on par with top-notch PC hardware like 1080 and TitanXP? Because if it is not, then PS4 Pro uses outdated hardware by your twisted logic;)

DigitalFoundry also does such comparisons every time there's a new console. Feel free to think it's nonsense and ignore. No one makes you read it.
DigitalFoundry didn't call anything "outdated" based on some make-believe arguments and wishful thinking

The ipad pro 9.7 (which is what I clearly mentioned in my post) has the same power/TDP constraints as the ipad 2
Pixel C has the same GPU performance in similar dimensions, does it mean that A9X is weak and outdated? :oops: In fact, TX1 is still top tier SoC for graphics
Well, PS4 Pro APU is clearly weak and very outdated by your definition because it's nowhere near the two year old GTX980 Ti and i7 4770 in performance

What device carrying a 28nm chip was available in mass quantities back in November 2011?
7970 was available since January 9 2012, just a couple month later

So no, 45nm wasn't outdated back then
It clearly was very outdated in comparison with 28nm at the moment, much more so that 20nm in comparison with 16nm now:D

- apple will have had 16FF chips in mass production for a year and a half
16 FF isn't the cheapest process ever, in fact, it's exactly the opposite. Nintendo can certainly make a mid life console update with 16 FF components

I hope you have compared PS4 Pro hardware with something like GP102?
No, no one compared a 250W Titan X to a PS4 Pro that pulls 150W from the wall.

The rest of your post is just equally ridiculous trolling and/or flamebaiting and/or weak strawman attempts, so good riddance.

No, no one compared a 250W Titan X to a PS4 Pro that pulls 150W from the wall.
That's a progress. Now, please, do the same for Switch and never compare it again with iPad Pro, thanks.

The rest of your post is just equally ridiculous trolling and/or flamebaiting and/or weak strawman attempts, so good riddance.
This is perfectly understood, every fact is "ridiculous trolling and/or flamebaiting and/or weak strawman attempts" unless it falls under your wishful thinking, exactly what I expected.

Back to price only discussion, thank you.

Can we change the poll to a new one called "How long until the Switch gets a major price reduction when faced with lackluster sales?".

We could start with an option of 3 months and then go all the way to 6 months. :devilish:

Can we change the poll to a new one called "How long until the Switch gets a major price reduction when faced with lackluster sales?".

We could start with an option of 3 months and then go all the way to 6 months. :devilish:

Should the vote increments be in number of weeks or months?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back