Digitalwanderer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by John Reynolds, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Great read dig. Pleased you're doing so well!

digitalwanderer likes this.
  2. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

I figure I always post my whiny stuff, should post the positive bits occasionally too. ;)

eastmen and Mize like this.
  3. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Don't wanna hog thread or anything, but spent roughly an hour and a half or so of the morning at the E.R. today after having what felt like a serious bout of uneven heart rhythm. This combined with a feeling of pressure and dull ache in the center of the chest whenever doing things like walking up hills or a bunch of stairs made me get up and go to the (thankfully quite nearby) hospital.

They made an ECG, the doc listened to my heart, turns out everything's probably OK. ECG was normal, so the ole ticker probably isn't conking out on me... :p I'm getting referred to the local doctor's office for further consultation and perhaps testing, depending on what seems warranted.

So here I am sitting and typing with these funny little stickers on my hands, chest and legs with cable attachments for the ECG machine, hoping if I wait a few days maybe they'll come off easier without pulling quite so badly on my body hair, scaredy cat that I am... :runaway:

4. digitalwanderer

Legend

They don't hurt coming off THAT bad, quit being a baby. :p (Plus I'm rather lacking in body hair. ;) )

Could I recommend that you get your ass to a cardiologist and have a stress test done? If I had done that before my first heart attack I might have avoided all of these heart problems over the years.

A stress test is just them hooking up more of those sticky things on you and having you run on a treadmill for 10 minutes. I couldn't even make it 6 and when I got off that's when they found one of my heart walls was being strained more than the others...which is how I learned how bad my heart was and got the quadruple bypass before I died.

The stress test really tells them a lot, the EKG just shows if you had a heart attack and how your heart is currently doing while the stress test gives them a lot more information about how it works under full load and such.

Definitely go to your doctor, see what he thinks.

Grall likes this.
  5. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

If you lack it, you don't really know how much it can fricken hurt when stuff like bandaids and surgical tape and whatnot have to come off! :D

Anyway, it seems these sticky things aren't made to be long-term durable; might have something to do with the conductive gel squishing around underneath too, but one popped off that same evening on its own, and then I just went ahead and pulled them all. And yeah, some of them were of the 'clingier persuasion', ghackk!

Yes, I am definitely going to do that, it's one of the things I'll speak to the doc about as soon as my referral thing goes through the papermill. (Also, Swedish healthcare system is chronically overworked these days so I don't know how long this'll take. Fuck those fucking neoliberals and conservatives and their tax break policies!!!)

...Anyway, I also think maybe there's a bit of a psychological factor at work here, becuase I went up a really steep hill today - well yesterday now - in search of clip-on EMI-absorbing ferrite beads for my new rig, and I didn't feel a thing. I was winded when I got up top, sure, but no feelings of discomfort as such.

Maybe I was obsessing over something that may or may not have actually been there, and enlarged that feeling in my mind. I dunno. Still, I'll do the treadmill thing for sure. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks for the advice! :)

digitalwanderer likes this.
  6. cjo

cjo
    Regular

If you want to remove something sticky from your skin, use Baby oil (that's what it's commonly called in the UK). Also known as mineral oil. If the sticky thing is an absorbent material, it'll soak through and then lift off quite easily. If it's something that the oil can't travel through, rubbing it along the edge, peeling it off a little and then repeating works.

Mineral oil breaks down a lot of medical adhesives. 3-4 times a week I have to detach sticky stuff that's designed to stay on for up to 2 weeks at a time, and if it's being stubborn, the oil does the trick.

digitalwanderer and Grall like this.
  7. digitalwanderer

Legend

Oooh, and peanut butter! Man, I freaked the first time I used it to get gum out of my kids hair that it actually worked! :D

8. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Hah. I'm NOT smearing food on my skin, that's for sure! I don't have any such kinks. :D

(A few others perhaps, but not gonna mention 'em... :p)

9. digitalwanderer

Legend

I can never remember the exact day, thanks again for posting up about it. I can always find out here, B3D's got great search.

Three years and a lifetime ago today, damn! :D

Jawed and mrcorbo like this.