Digitalwanderer

Hey folks, Digi here and I just wanted to thank you all for the kind thoughts and words and let ya know I'm truly doing well. The last few days were rough but I started feeling a whole bunch better this morning. They couldn't get hold of a doctor to discharge me tonight so it looks like I'll be coming home tomorrow.

my kid brought me their laptop to borrow, I didn't even feel well enough to computer the last few days, so I feel all reconnected and will be well entertained this evening. Got a round of painkillers coming to enhance the entertainment and can't wait to go home tomorrow!

Hey folks, Digi here and I just wanted to thank you all for the kind thoughts and words and let ya know I'm truly doing well. The last few days were rough but I started feeling a whole bunch better this morning. They couldn't get hold of a doctor to discharge me tonight so it looks like I'll be coming home tomorrow.

my kid brought me their laptop to borrow, I didn't even feel well enough to computer the last few days, so I feel all reconnected and will be well entertained this evening. Got a round of painkillers coming to enhance the entertainment and can't wait to go home tomorrow!

Glad you're feeling better and hope for a quick recovery my man. :) Didn't want to say anything til now so I didn't jinx anything. :D

Regards,
SB

Just got back from my follow up with the surgeon and I'm doing well. I now get to climb stairs and it's like a whole new world has opened to me!

Even better, they got all the nasty out of me. About 35cm in a couple of sections and we got the biopsies today and everything was premetastic...no cancer and it looks like the surgery was a success to prevent me from getting it. :D

I still can't drive for a bit over a week, or lift more than 10lbs until about mid-Sept, but I'm feeling and getting around a lot better the last few days. Also lost 14lbs in 14 days, but I wouldn't recommend this as a weight loss technique to anyone.

Sounds very familiar.

Xmas 2021/22 started pooping blood (bright red, that's not good people don't do that).
May 2022 got a referral.
July/August 2022 went through a couple of colonoscopies that reveal and aggressive polyp. Started as benign, then stage 1, then stage 2 carcinoma.
October 2022 had a TAMIS procedure to remove the cancerous polyp (I'd named it Jacob, after Jacob Rees-Mogg, the cancerous growth on the arsehole of humanity).
Jan/Feb 2023 Chemo and radiotherapy. Apparently this worked up to a point but the consultants can't be 100% sure there's no residual cancer, so...
~August 2023 APER surgery. Basically remove lower third/quarter of colon, all of my rectum & anus, stitch my bum up and I'll be side-pooping into a bag (which I'm going to name Nigel, after that unwanted cling-on bag of shit Nigel Farage).

Advice is 7-10 days in hospital, ~3 months recovery if things go well. Also like you watch out for hernias forever.

Good luck old chap, see you on the other side!

So... just heard I'm scheduled for surgery in two weeks! I hope it works - I'd quite like to be clear of having cancer hanging over my head. That shit sucks.

Just got back from my last follow up appointment and got surgical clearance! I'm now allowed to lift 20lbs, ride my mower, use my trimmer, clean the pool, and lots of other fun stuff. I can't do sit ups yet and still can't push my core super hard, but at least I can do lots more stuff and begin treatment for my nerves/back.

I'm actually pretty chuffed, I've been looking forward to this day for a while now. :D

Quick update. Well beyond surgical clearance, been doing PT twice a week for about a month and just started this weekend doing the PT stuff at home for 2-3 hours a day and I've doubled the muscles in my butt!

Should explain. My gluteous maximus muscles are fine, but the nerve going to my right one is giving a weak to non-existant signal so I've been using only my hamstrings to walk on my right leg. It's why I kept falling and getting cramps. Neurosurgeon can fix, but wanted to try PT first. Today I found out PT is working and I get to tell my neurosurgeon that in about 17 minutes.

I'm getting better! I don't fall anymore unless it's the dogs knocking me down and I can walk almost normally. Things is looking up, just thought I'd mention.

It's so nice not to feel like an invalid anymore. :love:

Oh and if anyone feels like helping the two people working with me at PhysioPoint asked me to give a good Google review and to please mention the name Nerissa and Victoria in the comment field. You can even say they helped out a friend of yours and it wouldn't be lying. They're having an in-house wager on who can get the most recommendations in a week, so if you got the time please go here and say nice things.

Quick update. Well beyond surgical clearance, been doing PT twice a week for about a month and just started this weekend doing the PT stuff at home for 2-3 hours a day and I've doubled the muscles in my butt!
With all the misinformation on the Internet these days I think we're gonna need pics to prove it :yes:

You'll get picts soon! Went to the neurologist yesterday and they were amazed at how I can walk now and how well the PT is working. They gave me an order for occupational therapy which is to help my hands and said if my current PT place wants to work on my hands she'll write me a script for it.

Oh and she tripled my does of gabapentin and something weird is happening, I'm able to feel my fingers in my right hand and my speech is MUCH improved. Not quite back to usual but a hella improvement that I can notice on the first day.

I'm enthused and hopeful now. PT helped so much with my nerve damaged leg that I'm hopeful the OT will help as much with my hands.

I like it when I get to post good news to this thread, muchly more enjoyable. :)

And so much for all the good news...

My neurologist sent me to a hematologist to check out my "abnormal serum free light chains" which weren't too bad, but after meeting me and seeing how badly deteriorated my speech and hands were that they decided to break with procedure. Normally they'd have me come back in 3 months and have my blood work rechecked but she said since I'm so young, (WHAT?!?!), that I shouldn't be in this shape and she's a bit concerned so she's having me get a bone marrow sample to see if I have any blood cancers.

:|

I got my biopsy set up for Tuesday and I'll get the results next Friday. I'm not super worried, mebbe a little freaked, but it's better to know sooner than later and hopefully this will just eliminate it as a cause. Either way I felt like posting since it's something new that'll be happening and is on my mind.

PT is going great, I'm starting to do jumping jacks at home to practice which just amazes me as I couldn't even jump a month ago. OT is slow but steady and I start speech therapy next week too. Lots of things happening but no real answers yet.

Ugh. I know it's a process it's just I hate the bloody process. <sigh>

My wife is having some health issues so is at hospital getting some tests done. We think everything is fine but it's better to be safe than sorry. The hospital wanted me to reschedule my bone marrow biopsy because I need a driver to get the anesthetic to have it done, but I found out today that I can get it taken with just a local anesthetic and drive myself. They could not emphasis enough how much they don't recommend that as it can be painful, but I need to get it done tomorrow for my follow up doc appt on Friday so I'm biting the bullet and doing it all tough guy like!

<whimper>

Back