Diablo
View attachment 11205

Command and Conquer Red Alert
View attachment 11206

MechWarrior 2 Mercenaries
View attachment 11207

Descent 2
View attachment 11208

Ef2000 Special Edition (voodoo support) flight sims were huge back in the day and are the reason I'm a P.C gamer
View attachment 11209

Master of Orion 2
View attachment 11210

Wing Commander: The Kilrathi Saga
View attachment 11211

As far as I can tell there were 621 Windows games Released in 1996
Basically I think Quake was the only thing that was really comparable to Mario 64. On the right hardware it was probably better, but I doubt many had access to hardware at the time that was running Quake as fast and looking as good as Mario 64.

Quake undoubtedly evolved the FPS genre by becoming fully 3D and pushing the technology.. however I think Mario 64 was more revolutionary in how it adapted platformers to 3D with 3rd person cameras and truely analog character control.

The proof that it works well would be if you could see the track from the sky in a top-down view, or a rotation at the end of the screen.

The ending of F-Zero in Master mode, one of my video game achievements using an emulator, shows you the ship seen from the sky, and there is a game similtar to Mario Kart which thanks to Mode 7 it has a secret trick with which you can play the entire game seeing the ship and the track from the sky the entire time.

The video below shows what Mode 7 does in F-Zero, the Master difficulty ending is not an alternative ending, it's the SNES running the game in real time, but seen from above. 55 seconds of video showing what Mode 7 is capable of.

Not superretro, but I'm playing Dragon Age II and I'm enjoying it a lot, even though I miss camps from Origins. The environments are quite repetitive, though. I think the devs were pushed to make a sequel in a short time because of the first game's success. I wonder how Inquisition will turn out for me.

What are your opinions on the saga or any of the games?

What does that mean "Added circle-strafe" ? Don't tell me there's a circle strafe button I know consoles liked to hold players hands but that's ridiculous

Ocarina of Time is still blowing my mind.

It's the little details that I never noticed or paid that much attention too when I played it back when it released.

The sun actually setting and rising, and the intense sun glare you get if you look straight at it.

I can't imagine there were many games that did that back in 1998.

Back