Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2016 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
As Pixel says above, Horizon is 30 fps at 1080p on XB1. How is Scorpio with < 4x the power going to render 8x as many pixels, 4k res at twice the framerate?

1080p60 -> 4k60
1080p30 -> 4k30

this is what I got from what ms has said so far (first party games)
expecting higher native res and frame rate is a bit much. Especially when they've not said or even implied as much.

How do you demonstrate that? Scorpio is a console and games will be optimised as such. I still expect 4k at least, and most probably 60 fps for Forza Horizon on Scorpio.

Plus Doom is probably going to run at 4k and 120 fps on Scorpio...

As well as the theoretical near impossibility that Shifty pointed out above, here also is a real world example of why what you say is very unlikely.

At 6FT and 320GB/s the Scorpio GPU should theoretically perform somewhere between the 5.9TF, 384GB/s 390x and the 7.2TF, 512MB/s Fury. That puts it at around 50% of the real world performance of the Titan XP:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/Titan_X_Pascal/24.html

So to overcome that theoretical advantage, the console optimisations would have to double the performance effectiveness of the GPU. To put that into context, that's the same as expecting an HD 265 (same spec as PS4) to perform at the level of an HD 290. Can you give me one real world example where a game on the PS4 has been able to match the PC version of that game point for point when running on an HD 290?

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/R7_265_Dual-X/24.html

Add to that, that both Forza and Doom on the PC use next gen API's (DX12 and Vulkan respectively) which should negate much of the console advantage. Then add to that that Scorpio isn't a traditional console where the game will be built from the ground up to suite it perfectly. The game running on Scoprio is likely to be less optimised that the game running on the XBO - more akin to how it runs on a PC.

If we take Doom specifically at 4K, we see that even the 8.6TF, 512MB/s Fury X only achieves around 54fps under the Vulcan API. Yet you expect the 6TF, 320GB/s Scorpio to more than double that? I would grant though that lowering settings from 'Ultra' to the consoles medium-high preset should gain a decent amount of performance back.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-titan-x-12gb,4700-4.html

There are many people that think Scorpio will give 4K60, this is part of my issue with the reveal 'best pixel ever, best framerate, no compromises' - but hey, people think they're making informed choices so....

There are many people that think Scorpio will give 4K60, this is part of my issue with the reveal 'best pixel ever, best framerate, no compromises' - but hey, people think they're making informed choices so....
Are you saying you don't think that a game running 1080p60 on xo cant do 4k60 on Scorpio?

any game could do 4k60 but the impression is (from people I spoke to) is 4k60 will be the norm, and the 'no compromises' comment is obviously going to be untrue - but by saying that it's implying Scorpio will have no issues running the best graphics at the best resolution and framerate.

any game could do 4k60 but the impression is (from people I spoke to) is 4k60 will be the norm, and the 'no compromises' comment is obviously going to be untrue - but by saying that it's implying Scorpio will have no issues running the best graphics at the best resolution and framerate.
There's only so much a company can do, some people will interpret it the way they choose on all sides.

If an xo game is 1080p30 and then 4k30, with out having to drop the quality at all, isn't that no compromise, same for 1080p60 to 4k60.
They've specifically said taking an xo engine/game and running it at 4k with no compromise. They never said doubling frame rate.

Or are the people you speak to believe ms should've said 1080p30 game on xo will run at a compromised 4k30?

You ought to do your pals (and your 18yo son) a favour and discuss assumptions and expectations.

lol, you should try speaking to MS fanbois at my workplace :p

Well, my son isn't - he's a PC gamer and was under the impression he'd be better off switching to Scorpio. And it's not like he's stupid and he also has a Sony fanboi for a dad lol

Well, my son isn't - he's a PC gamer and was under the impression he'd be better off switching to Scorpio. And it's not like he's stupid and he also has a Sony fanboi for a dad lol
Must make the time at the dinner table difficult. I imagine you prefer to fall back to the topics of religion and politics to keep things civil...

As well as the theoretical near impossibility that Shifty pointed out above, here also is a real world example of why what you say is very unlikely.

At 6FT and 320GB/s the Scorpio GPU should theoretically perform somewhere between the 5.9TF, 384GB/s 390x and the 7.2TF, 512MB/s Fury. That puts it at around 50% of the real world performance of the Titan XP:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/Titan_X_Pascal/24.html

So to overcome that theoretical advantage, the console optimisations would have to double the performance effectiveness of the GPU. To put that into context, that's the same as expecting an HD 265 (same spec as PS4) to perform at the level of an HD 290. Can you give me one real world example where a game on the PS4 has been able to match the PC version of that game point for point when running on an HD 290?

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/R7_265_Dual-X/24.html

Add to that, that both Forza and Doom on the PC use next gen API's (DX12 and Vulkan respectively) which should negate much of the console advantage. Then add to that that Scorpio isn't a traditional console where the game will be built from the ground up to suite it perfectly. The game running on Scoprio is likely to be less optimised that the game running on the XBO - more akin to how it runs on a PC.

If we take Doom specifically at 4K, we see that even the 8.6TF, 512MB/s Fury X only achieves around 54fps under the Vulcan API. Yet you expect the 6TF, 320GB/s Scorpio to more than double that? I would grant though that lowering settings from 'Ultra' to the consoles medium-high preset should gain a decent amount of performance back.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-titan-x-12gb,4700-4.html
I have a friend who has purchased two 1080 graphics cards and he is impressed with Doom because he runs the game at 4k and 60 fps without using SLI at all.

If you like Doom you can benchmark Doom in your rig.

I have a friend who has purchased two 1080 graphics cards and he is impressed with Doom because he runs the game at 4k and 60 fps without using SLI at all.

Sure, but your original guess was that Scorpio can do 4K @ 120fps for this game.

I wonder what the chances are if FH3 is not coded differently for the PC.

As in, the esram calls are remapped to VRAM on PC. Could that be a possibility for the stuttering??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you like Doom you can benchmark Doom in your rig.

I'm actually playing Doom at the moment. Awesome game and I can easily maintain 60fps at maxed out (Nightmare) settings at 2560x1440 on my 1070 but I fall slightly short at 4K. I imagine a GTX 1080 could do it with little problem. But there are two problems. 1. Why would you assume Scoprio will be anywhere near the performance of a 1080? Especially under DX12/Vulkan, and 2. as AlNets said, your post said you expected it to run at 120fps - twice as fast as a 1080.

1080p60 -> 4k60
1080p30 -> 4k30

this is what I got from what ms has said so far (first party games)
expecting higher native res and frame rate is a bit much. Especially when they've not said or even implied as much.

Yup, any game should be able to go from 2k/30 to 4K/30 easily on Scorpio. The same goes for 2k/60 to 4k/60. Project Scorpio has more than enough graphics power to pull that off and still have extra compute cycles left over for potential enhancements. Alternatively it should have no problems doing sub-2k to 4k while keeping graphics settings the same. That is assuming everyone just brute forces the resolution increase and no clever rendering tricks are used.

Going from 2k/30 to 4k/60 is not feasible. Doing both resolution and framerate would require something on the order of 5x (minimum) to 7x (to be safe) as well as a potentially significant increase in CPU power. A simple resolution increase is unlikely to put too much additional stress on the CPU, but an increase in framerate could potentially involve the CPU to a significant extent.

Likewise going from 2k/30 to 2k/60 should be feasible in most cases, although it'll depend on the game and how reliant it is on the CPU. Not knowing how much of a bump Project Scopio is getting with regards to CPU power, it's difficult to say how feasible it is for most titles to have an easy time going from 30 FPS to 60 FPS.

Regards,
SB

Forza Horizon 3 Faceoff
No mention of HDR in xbox one version. Would be interesting to get a opinion about that quality feature from a test-page like digital foundry.

They briefly mentioned HDR in the previous Forza article and (surprisingly) said it didn't offer that much in this title. Obviously the TV used is as important as the feature itself when it comes to HDR though. I'm sure it will offer huge advantages in many other titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back