Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2015]

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a the resolution of both consoles? I don't see it in the write-up...
PS4:
+1080P
+More stable frame rate

+ Higher res shadows

-less AF
-Ghosting

Xbox One
-900P
-Less stable frame rate (especially when there are lots of alpha effects like in the rain)
+Better AF
+No Ghosting
-lower res shadows

Removing the fancy effects from the graphics options increase the performance, 2 fps. Not worth it, imho.

01_1c3uc3.jpeg

01_25muu8.jpeg

02_1jeuvz.jpeg

02_2e1uqf.jpeg

03_19luyq.jpeg

03_2cxubs.jpeg

Still, Digital Foundry tests were done in the worst possible conditions for the consoles. Most of the Career mode doesn't feature 40 cars on track (and most people would be happy with 20 or 16 in other modes), so I'd say that the game will runt at a stable, solid 60 fps framerate in the career mode.

Stress testing isn't new for DF. Also Richard didn't do this article, and again, it is just an "initial" performance preview for the full article later.

Stress testing isn't new for DF. Also Richard didn't do this article, and again, it is just an "initial" performance preview for the full article later.
I know, I was postulating that he set fire to the laboratory while drunk. Thereby making testing difficult for Thomas.

How many games have you tried?
Enuf games (>30 years worth) to know an extra 100 msec lag is going to affect gameplay very adversely for most genre's.
lIKE i SAID i CAN SEE THIS BEING A VERY CHEAP WAY TO ADD ENTERTAINMENT DEVICES (capslock sorry) in public spaces eg airports, all you need is a screen & controller & internet connection for less than $100 you could have an entertainment hub setup

I know, I was postulating that he set fire to the laboratory while drunk. Thereby making testing difficult for Thomas.
You made me cry -with laughter- after reading your commentary. I cried for a minute or two. Oh geeze... When alcohol fails, fire prevails.

I can't drink -no spleen, if anything only in very small doses- but I am sure that the testing procedures at DF are all the kind of non destructive testing. :cool:(it's only human to have a bad day at the office, or laboratory, though)

Not enough shitting on the abysmal image quality of the PS4 version is worrying me. Also, they are doing PS4 quite a service by doing comparison shots when the cars are standing still.

Last edited:
Do you have a 1600x900 tv ;)

Actually native has nothing to do with display (in the context that I was thinking of)... I was thinking of the internal frame buffer being upscaled from something lower than 900p. And of course scaled up to 1080p on fitting today's household sets.

Last edited:
I noticed this at gaf:

Just a quick nod to Digital Foundry from the SMS Render Team for this article and their linking of the various posts that we did over the last few weeks. It is a very fair and accurate Face Off between the platforms and a great piece of technical Journalism as a result - we are working hard to address issues raised on the initial release. Stay tuned ... I can tell you that Xbox One will gain at least 4-7% performance in a patch shortly and address some of the controller issues. Lots more discussion over at forum.projectcarsgame.com.

I discovered just right now after uploading two pictures to the Xbox upscaler thread that the images are 1600x900 in size. Thing is.., the game is Killer Instinct, 1600x900 native --great game, great visuals, lots of particles, motion blur on characters. I thought that the console upscaled the images to 1080p and that's how the screenshots were uploaded, 1080p, but no! The utility to take screenshots on the XO actually takes them at the native resolution of the internal framebuffer.

Guess that Digital Foundry doesn't need capture cards equipment.

edit; turned out not to be true, it was just tinypic resizing everything to 900p, the image was 1080p, tinypic links removed

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back