Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2024]

Does apple have direct x 12.1 level features with a compute focused architecture on their mobile gpu's? A17 pro has 2.1 teraflops and it struggles to even come anywhere close to a Xbox one from 2013 in games.
Yes they have, for years even. The chips are thermally constrained, nothing more. If anything the A-series are more advanced than the M-counterparts (1 generation ahead at least)

Yes they have, for years even. The chips are thermally constrained, nothing more. If anything the A-series are more advanced than the M-counterparts (1 generation ahead at least)
The iphone version is running at 300p, while the Xbox one version is 828p. That is a gap of like 5-6 times the resolution. That is a huge difference, that no amount of thermal throttling can explain. It's also running at almost half the framerate in some scenes.

We are talking about the Xbox one here, not even a PS4. The iphone is hugely underperforming here, and the reason is either drivers, developing tools, architecture or a combination of the three.

Last edited:
FSR could at best 'tie' at 4k Quality in HUB comparisons few months ago. However, even that would be due to them using a monitor that has high PPI with 4k to hide the blemishes. Otherwise the same issues of disocclusion fizzle and pixelated objects remains evident at 4k.

Also, at couch distances, FSR can be bad for console gaming where image stability is highly regarded. Console players complained of FSR2's shimmering in Alan Wake 2.

If you need to zoom in 200% and slow it down then id say they are fairly close
It has been explained many times, the zoom ins are done because of youtube compression and that a lot of their audience watches their content on phone screens. It's easily noticeable the quality difference between upscalers with a normal, uncompressed clear image and a regular screen size.

Before I sold my PC I actually started to use FSR2 over DLSS as I preferred it's more 'raw' look.

DLSS can look noticeably more blurry than FSR at the cost of less fizzle and shimmering.

Before I sold my PC I actually started to use FSR2 over DLSS as I preferred it's more 'raw' look.

DLSS can look noticeably more blurry than FSR at the cost of less fizzle and shimmering.
I can't stand FSR2's disocclusion artifacts. I do however use ReShade to inject CAS sharpening to DLSS games, specially if not running them at 4k, to offset the blurriness.

Something that Nvidia could do is offer dlss versions that give you the sharpest image possible, at the cost of artifacts. I'm sure that a lot of people would enjoy it.

Something that Nvidia could do is offer dlss versions that give you the sharpest image possible, at the cost of artifacts. I'm sure that a lot of people would enjoy it.

I think developers need to also dial down the TAA too.

Days Gone for me has the perfect balance between temporal stability and sharpness.

It comes at the cost of the game still have some shimmering on certain surfaces but it's damn clean and sharp overall.

Fair enough but I wouldn't consider the FSR look "raw". I don't recall ever seeing disocclusion artifacts or ghosting until the upscaling era. Maybe a better term would be "sharp".

You dont. FSR 2 looks terrible during regular gameplay. As has been explained to you several times for months now, the zooms and slow downs are for phone viewers.
I don’t think anybody is discussing
The iphone version is running at 300p, while the Xbox one version is 828p. That is a gap of like 5-6 times the resolution. That is a huge difference, that no amount of thermal throttling can explain. It's also running at almost half the framerate in some scenes.

We are talking about the Xbox one here, not even a PS4. The iphone is hugely underperforming here, and the reason is either drivers, developing tools, architecture or a combination of the three.

You don’t know what thermally constrained means, but anyway you still proved my point.
Xbox one uses 15 times the energy compared to iPhone. Looking at resolution it means apple graphics architecture and drivers would be 3 or 4 times as effective compared to xbox.

Compare m3 MacBook Air to m3 MacBook Pro if you want to see the effect of throttling

Back