Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
demons souls its not remaster but remake (graphics created from ground on new engine), I couldn't resist ;d

Demon's Souls is a remake. I think Bloodborne may get a remaster treatment eventually, but at this point I think they'll release it to promote a Bloodborne 2 so it's limited by the later's roadmaps.

Thank you, pedantic plebs. :p:love:

this ai upscaling gives very blurry results

Do DF state which upscaling solution they are using? There is a tremendous variety in terms of quality of the options out there. Same the upscales that work on still images.

I always found this part of the story strange/Intresting.
From the start when the BC team took on the task of doing BC they wasnt even sure they could do it, in fact sounded like a lot of people internally didn't think it was possible.

So during the design of XO, they put in support (used silicon and design time and money) to support something, they must have had very little idea if it was worth it or not.

I've always justified it as being not that they are legacy support but probably widely supported formats that would be worth having regardless of BC, and it just happened to help BC.

So even without thinking of BC probably would still have them in, it just helped having more reasons to include it.

Always been my personal take.
That was my take on it also. And if you remember the transition from Xbox to 360 and the addition of BC, they moved away from nVidia and Intel because of their licensing fee structure, and ended up having to pay nVidia licensing fees for custom texture formats and audio hardware. But there is a quote that indicates that BC was supposed to be in there at launch, which holds more weight than my opinion.

Everything you need to know about Yakuza's big series refresh on console. Years since Yakuza 6, Like a Dragon makes a successful leap to JRPG battle mechanics, a new Yokohama inspired setting - and a fresh cast of memorable faces. Tom runs through the so-called normal and high resolution modes on PS5 and Series X and S consoles - sparing a thought for the missing high frame-rate mode of its preview build.

I'm so intrigued by that game. Is it actually good?? I can't figure it out.

IMO, it's even better than the previous games. But then I also generally like turn based RPGs more than action games. :) The humor is ramped up to 11 in this one, but it's still the same engaging quirkiness that has existed in the Yakuza series. I haven't gotten to play it much (no time), but I really like it.

Regards,
SB

There was much excitement when NieR Automata and The Evil Within arrived on GamePass with bespoke ports reported to address some of the outstanding issues with the Steam versions, and in the case of The Evil Within, even adding new features. Alex tested both of them out and came away disappointed.

DF Article @ https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...il-within-and-nier-automata-arent-fixed-on-pc

No, Nier Automata and The Evil Within PC aren't fixed on Game Pass
There are new features - but we'll be sticking with the Steam originals.

The PC rendition of Game Pass received a boost last week when it was reported that its revised ports of Platinum Games' Nier Automata and Tango Game Works' The Evil Within were actually improved over the Steam equivalents. It was seemingly good news for PC gamers: two critically acclaimed titles received sub-optimal PC versions, and while limiting improved versions to Game Pass only is problematic, at least it's a step in the right direction... or is it? In our tests, we noted some content improvements on The Evil Within - albeit with a huge caveat attached - while the underlying performance issues do not seem to be any different at all on the Game Pass builds. Nier Automata also new features, but performance issues unresolved since launch remain untouched.

Whats with the dorky thumbnail? Thing's worse than the clickbaitest of the most clickbaity YT channels I've ever seen.
Eh? Those reactions happened in the video. It’s not like the typical clickbait staged photo with exaggerated expressions. I do feel they should have used Richard’s reaction to Audi’s sneeze, though, for a more accurate representation of his occasionally curmudgeonly mood (Audi really kicked the banter up a notch, and I loved it).

If you’re talking about the box, sure, technically it was neither a box nor singular. If they had more room, I feel like the PS3/P/V storefront closure discussion was more important than FF7RI. Alex mentioned B3D somewhere in that two hours, though I can’t remember where. (I believe it was in the context of being hassled about perceived clarity or console differences.)

Whats with the dorky thumbnail? Thing's worse than the clickbaitest of the most clickbaity YT channels I've ever seen.
there's a segment called what's in the box where it was just pure banter. That's where the screen caps were taken from. Good times. Glad to see everyone having a good laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back