Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remastering is fine and could have been great, except...

They remastered the freaking neutered console version. Has they instead remastered the PC version this could have been absolutely incredible.

So instead of everything being improved, you have areas where things are quite obvious improved in game compared to the previous console version (and for some things even better than the original PC version), but are inferior or just plain missing compared to the original PC version for many things. And that's just a crying shame.

A remastered PC version could have been a graphical showcase on next gen consoles, but instead it's a mixed bag of improvements and downgrades compared to the original PC version.

Regards,
SB
For sure it would be better but I think game is too old to only remaster it, proper remake targeting only pc/ps5/xsx would be awsome

Mortal Shell Enhanced Edition PS5/Xbox Series X/S - A Rival For PC's 4K60FPS?
A fascinating take on the Dark Souls formula, now with next-gen updates. Performance is boosted to 60 frames per second and textures are improved - but is it enough to match the premiere PC experience at 4K and 60FPS? Tom and John shell up to find out.

On this week's DF Weekly it was great to here Jon waxing lyrically about the Neo Geo Pocket joystick. It's so good. Wish I still had mine and I'd probably give the screen upgrade a go.

DF Article @ https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-prey-dishonored-fps-boost-analysis

Prey and Dishonored on Series X|S: FPS Boost isn't just about 60fps
The games play better and loading time reductions are a revelation.

As part of its celebration in acquiring Bethesda, Microsoft's second wave of FPS Boost titles for Xbox Series consoles sees the delivery of some dramatic upgrades for classic titles from its newly assimilated publisher. Heavy hitters Skyrim, Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 will get the Digital Foundry treatment in due course, but to begin with we wanted to revisit Dishonored Definitive Edition and Prey from Arkane Studios. These are both brilliant games, but they're also somewhat sub-optimal in their original console incarnations. FPS Boost dramatically transforms the both of them - and what's fascinating is that it's not just the doubling of frame-rate that is key in improving the experience. Remarkably, FPS Boost goes further than you might expect to the point where with Prey in particular, I feel we're close to remaster territory.

We'll kick off with Prey - an immersive sim that I happen to rate as one of my favourite games of 2017, but also a release that I just couldn't bring myself to play on the last-gen consoles. A combination of performance problems, input lag issues and some extended loading times were very off-putting - and why put yourself through that when the PC version is so much better?

Ahh yes prey!!!!! imo one of the best fps ever, i got it on pc day one and beat it despite all the tech issues. Amazing game! downloading right now to relive it with auto hdr on big screen in 60 fps. Damn so good!

AMD's new RDNA 2 roll-out continues with the arrival of the RX 6700 XT. It's cheaper than its high-end 4K cards, but can it bring the value against the RTX 3070 and RTX 3060 Ti? And is its 12GB of GDDR6 memory worthwhile? Here's Rich with our performance numbers and analysis.

DF Article @ https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-prey-dishonored-fps-boost-analysis

Prey and Dishonored on Series X|S: FPS Boost isn't just about 60fps
The games play better and loading time reductions are a revelation.

As part of its celebration in acquiring Bethesda, Microsoft's second wave of FPS Boost titles for Xbox Series consoles sees the delivery of some dramatic upgrades for classic titles from its newly assimilated publisher. Heavy hitters Skyrim, Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 will get the Digital Foundry treatment in due course, but to begin with we wanted to revisit Dishonored Definitive Edition and Prey from Arkane Studios. These are both brilliant games, but they're also somewhat sub-optimal in their original console incarnations. FPS Boost dramatically transforms the both of them - and what's fascinating is that it's not just the doubling of frame-rate that is key in improving the experience. Remarkably, FPS Boost goes further than you might expect to the point where with Prey in particular, I feel we're close to remaster territory.

We'll kick off with Prey - an immersive sim that I happen to rate as one of my favourite games of 2017, but also a release that I just couldn't bring myself to play on the last-gen consoles. A combination of performance problems, input lag issues and some extended loading times were very off-putting - and why put yourself through that when the PC version is so much better?

Spectacular stuff. MS are really not playing around this generation.

loading times ps4pro 1min 2s, ps5 4s, nice
Do wonder what a balanced mode would look like.
Full graphics mode, 1440p60 DRS or something.
Maybe at the lower resolution be harder to make out the additional graphics fidelity or something.

DF Article @ https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-marvels-avengers-ps5-every-upgrade-tested

Marvel's Avengers on PS5: every upgrade tested
It's a big, big improvement over PS4 Pro.

Announced several months ago, the next generation upgrade for Marvel's Avengers lands today and Digital Foundry had the opportunity to check out the campaign element on PlayStation 5 in a near-final build - and the results are impressive. Developer Nixxes delivers a 60fps performance mode with improved graphics compared to PlayStation 4 Pro, upping the ante for the next-gen quality mode, and utilising the new console's advanced storage capabilities to provide a revelatory improvement in loading times.

Showing is perhaps better than telling, so I'd recommend digging into the video embedded below, but the bottom line is that the performance mode is arguably the best way to play. Just like PS4 Pro, it's running at 2160p checkerboard with a dynamic resolution window that extends as far as it needs to in order to sustain the crucial 60fps target. Essentially, the more mayhem you unleash, the lower typical resolution is likely to be - expect values in the 1800p range in the heat of the action, dropping to 1440p when all hell truly breaks loose.

Do wonder what a balanced mode would look like.
Full graphics mode, 1440p60 DRS or something.
Maybe at the lower resolution be harder to make out the additional graphics fidelity or something.
FYI 4k is checkerboarded from a native resolution of 1527p.

Full graphics mode would need to be around 1250p60 in this game, as it roughly takes 3x the GPU power to double a games framerate.

FYI 4k is checkerboarded from a native resolution of 1527p.

Full graphics mode would need to be around 1250p60 in this game, as it roughly takes 3x the GPU power to double a games framerate.
Not sure about your figures or 3 times, but I'd be interested to see it at 1250p60.
Up until few months ago people willing to take a drop to 1080p60.
I'm aware this is a new gen, but I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't mind the added destruction at the lower resolution at 60.

Not sure about your figures or 3 times, but I'd be interested to see it at 1250p60.

Just something that I've seen before and its stuck with me. Frametimes don't scale as well resolution. i.e. not linearly.

I mean you see evidence of this in the game itself. If the frametimes scaled linearly, the 60fps mode would have kept all the settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back