Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're premature.
I am describing the present reality, nothing more. Thinking XSX is destined to flat out beat PS5 in the future in most comparisons is pure fantasy.

This special case doesn't fit into "most games", since this game was coded long before PS5/SeriesX existed. Absolutely zero conclusions can be drawn about the relative performance capabilities of the 9th gen systems based on how they each run a remaster of a 7th gen game using two very different backwards compatibility systems.
Maybe BC performance on current cross-gen titles can tell us something, but not a game like this.
But this is not a special case. PS5 has being either performing similarly or beating XSX in most BC games, cross-gen games (Destiny 2, Dirt 5, Valhalla...) and 'next-gen' games (WD, COD and NBA). And PS5 is also technically beating XSX in Hitman 3 in the matter of framerate.

Last edited:
each console has advantages over the other. So then it will be up to 3P devs to choose how to design their games to uses thoses advantages.
So we will see games where XsX shows its power and other where maybe PS5 higher fillrate or faster IO will be better used.
Then if for example it's an easier way for 3P devs to rely on CU counts and TFLOPS while just having to lower the res on PS5 and maybe some effects and call it a day, i can see the majority of 3P games running better on XsX.

I think the fact that Hitman 3 performs better in the XSX is promising from the perspective of a nerd who likes to see how design choices effect performance.

If the XSX underperformed the entire generation, I suppose it would be interesting to know where exactly MS messed up, but it'd be quite a dull conversation.

Hitman 3 indicates that the PS5 and XSX may be destined to trade blows the entire generation, giving us data to show when certain software decisions are better or worse suited for certain hardware decisions.

And that's when this forum is at its best: well informed posters doing their best detective work.

Currently though, this forum keeps descending into people getting their e-peens out, shouting when they've got an erection, and going quiet again when flaccid.

I wonder how Skyrim with mod is running on a Pro with output set at 1080p. The game does run at 1080p in that mode on Pro with a very stable framerate (albeit at 30fps). It should be able to run at more or less stable 60fps in that mode on Pro and it would be interesting to compare it with the XSS version using the same mod.

hmm, this one looks extremely memorable, even if it's not the type of game I would typically play.

Going to have to play this one for sure, not looking forward to running away from a demon 2 meters behind you on foot though.

Curious to see the benchmarks on this one with GPUs. Its harder to figure out where the consoles should stand relative to PC once RT is turned on. Some preliminary benchmarks showing 9.275GB of VRAM for RT enabled at 4K for 6900XT and 7GB of System RAM. That's about the entire fast pool for XSX and whatever is remaining. ie, this would have trouble fitting in 16GB I suspect.
The Medium тест GPU/CPU | Action / FPS / TPS | Тест GPU (gamegpu.com)

Ray Tracing really hurts performance here, though hard to tell where XSX would land on it, likely on the very low side of things.

Last edited:
btw John said Medium wouldn't be probably possible on lastgen consoles hdd but ssd is only recommended and not required on pc

btw John said Medium wouldn't be probably possible on lastgen consoles hdd but ssd is only recommended and not required on pc
I believe they explained that PC HDD throughput is actually lot faster than previous gen.

I'm ok with the resolutions(although can go pretty low), but find the texture streaming during that selection screen pretty bad. It should load in - 1 and +1 to whatever one your on at least.

Fix the frame pacing and looks like a solid showing.

I also assume it's not using direct storage, be nice to know if it's using SFS (doubt it) and any other DX12U features.

hmm, this one looks extremely memorable, even if it's not the type of game I would typically play.

Going to have to play this one for sure, not looking forward to running away from a demon 2 meters behind you on foot though.

Curious to see the benchmarks on this one with GPUs. Its harder to figure out where the consoles should stand relative to PC once RT is turned on. Some preliminary benchmarks showing 9.275GB of VRAM for RT enabled at 4K for 6900XT and 7GB of System RAM. That's about the entire fast pool for XSX and whatever is remaining. ie, this would have trouble fitting in 16GB I suspect.
The Medium тест GPU/CPU | Action / FPS / TPS | Тест GPU (gamegpu.com)

Ray Tracing really hurts performance here, though hard to tell where XSX would land on it, likely on the very low side of things.

Wow, it's incredibly heavy with full RTX at native 4k:

"At a resolution of 3840x2160 an average FPS of 25 frames was shown by video cards of the GeForce RTX 3080 level ."

I guess the XSX is only utilising RT reflections, with the PC having the the full suite of effects?

Wow, it's incredibly heavy with full RTX at native 4k:

"At a resolution of 3840x2160 an average FPS of 25 frames was shown by video cards of the GeForce RTX 3080 level ."

I guess the XSX is only utilising RT reflections, with the PC having the the full suite of effects?
Yeah - PC at its highest settings forces RT Reflections and AO on for every scene, and also adds in RT shadows and RT Transparent Reflections on top of increasing RT Reflection resolution.

I believe they explained that PC HDD throughput is actually lot faster than previous gen.
I also assume it's not using direct storage, be nice to know if it's using SFS (doubt it) and any other DX12U features.

I don't believe Direct Storage is even in early-access for the PC yet, if you were talking about the PC version.

I don't believe Direct Storage is even in early-access for the PC yet, if you were talking about the PC version.
Actually meant console.
I'm talking about things like the new FS IO api etc.
Unless in dev docs you've got it said it was ready for use early enough on console also?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back