Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
i really liked FC5 and new dawn, and now enjoying my time with FC6, sometimes it looks very last gen and sometimes really good.
But at least it's fun especially in coop, one of the rare games with a full campaign playable in coop.
might not win tech awards but still a step up from the last gen far cry games.

But it's still very buggy and need a lot of fixes, well at least we had some good laugh with my friend with some of those bugs, when like we were fighting a tank and my bud got pushed inside a truck's container and was stuck inside without any way to get out (you can't open it) then i died and respawned with him in that truck, stuck together, with no choice but to blow up the truck and die.

i really liked FC5 and new dawn, and now enjoying my time with FC6, sometimes it looks very last gen and sometimes really good.
But at least it's fun especially in coop, one of the rare games with a full campaign playable in coop.
might not win tech awards but still a step up from the last gen far cry games.

But it's still very buggy and need a lot of fixes, well at least we had some good laugh with my friend with some of those bugs, when like we were fighting a tank and my bud got pushed inside a truck's container and was stuck inside without any way to get out (you can't open it) then i died and respawned with him in that truck, stuck together, with no choice but to blow up the truck and die.
last far cry I finished was 3, didnt like 5 and gave up after hour of playing but like 6th, main character is talking, island settings is nice and have fun playing it

Given that this is probably the last cross gen Far Cry, will Ubisoft take the opportunity to move the next game over to Snowdrop? Massive's Avatar game seems to demonstrate all the features a "shootyman in nature" game requires.

I could have sworn that they were planning to consolidate engines mostly to Snowdrop but may have been mistaken. I can't find a quote for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: snc
Developer Remedy Entertainment’s 2010 classic gets the remaster treatment, at last bringing Alan Wake to PlayStation consoles - and all next-gen machines. Compared to the Xbox 360 original the remaster’s improved lighting, textures and effects are all crucial to playing on the 4K displays of today. But can PS5 and Series X deliver on a 60FPS target? And are all changes strictly for the better? Tom finds out.

DF Article @ https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...lassic-cut-it-on-ps5-and-xbox-series-consoles

Alan Wake Remastered: can the 360 classic cut it on PS5 and Xbox Series consoles?
Alan's hot topic.

Pick up a flashlight, grab a thermos and get your typewriters ready because it's time to return to Bright Falls - with Alan Wake at last making a jump from Xbox 360 to other consoles, the first time it's done so since its first release in 2010. Now remastered on PC, alongside PlayStation and Xbox consoles old and new, the recent release comes courtesy of D3T Studios in collaboration with original developer Remedy Entertainment. Alan Wake was a visually impressive game for its time for sure, but this remaster certainly does plenty in refreshing the title for the modern hardware specs.

Comparing to the original Xbox 360 release, the game is perhaps by necessity reworked in several key areas. Effects, lighting and shadow quality are bumped up, character models are reworked with new shaders for skin and hair, while texture resolution is increased. And of course, on high-end consoles like Xbox Series X, S and PS5, you get a resolution boost, plus 60 frames per second gameplay. Looking back, Alan Wake was something of a technical showcase on release, as an Xbox exclusive. Fog, object physics, and dynamic shadows all impressed 11 years ago, and largely still hold up - though the game's 544p resolution was somewhat controversial. Interplay with light also proved crucial. Not just technically, but also as a mechanic for the game: for weakening the Taken and for solving puzzles. As a precursor to Quantum Break and Control, this was the start of something special for Remedy.

Assuming FPS Boost works on games from the 360, I wonder what Series X could accomplish with the BC version of this game. 120fps seems likely.
I've been replaying my original copy on my 360 the past couple of days. It's still a great looking game on the right display.

I have seen a few more comparisons than that of Digitalfoundry, and on the looks of it this is another game where I still think the Original version still has an advantage. The original version's fog comes across as thicker and I find that contributing more to the mood of a game where you walk around the forest at night.

DF Article @ https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...lassic-cut-it-on-ps5-and-xbox-series-consoles

Alan Wake Remastered: can the 360 classic cut it on PS5 and Xbox Series consoles?
Alan's hot topic.

Pick up a flashlight, grab a thermos and get your typewriters ready because it's time to return to Bright Falls - with Alan Wake at last making a jump from Xbox 360 to other consoles, the first time it's done so since its first release in 2010. Now remastered on PC, alongside PlayStation and Xbox consoles old and new, the recent release comes courtesy of D3T Studios in collaboration with original developer Remedy Entertainment. Alan Wake was a visually impressive game for its time for sure, but this remaster certainly does plenty in refreshing the title for the modern hardware specs.

Comparing to the original Xbox 360 release, the game is perhaps by necessity reworked in several key areas. Effects, lighting and shadow quality are bumped up, character models are reworked with new shaders for skin and hair, while texture resolution is increased. And of course, on high-end consoles like Xbox Series X, S and PS5, you get a resolution boost, plus 60 frames per second gameplay. Looking back, Alan Wake was something of a technical showcase on release, as an Xbox exclusive. Fog, object physics, and dynamic shadows all impressed 11 years ago, and largely still hold up - though the game's 544p resolution was somewhat controversial. Interplay with light also proved crucial. Not just technically, but also as a mechanic for the game: for weakening the Taken and for solving puzzles. As a precursor to Quantum Break and Control, this was the start of something special for Remedy.

Man, I hope this eventually comes to PC on Game Pass. Not sure I'd want to buy it again. I've already bought it twice. Once on X360 and then later on PC. I would love to play it though as it looks really good. They did a great job with the remaster and thankfully they left the gameplay intact and untouched. Although saying that, if it came to Steam I'd probably buy it again if they didn't offer it as a free upgrade. :p

I have seen a few more comparisons than that of Digitalfoundry, and on the looks of it this is another game where I still think the Original version still has an advantage. The original version's fog comes across as thicker and I find that contributing more to the mood of a game where you walk around the forest at night.

Agree on this point, but the remaster still looks really nice. And the best thing about it is that it allows a masterpiece (IMO) of the PS3/X360 era to be enjoyed by a whole new generation of gamers as well as PS players who didn't own a X360 or gaming PC.

Regards,
SB

Kinda bummed DF rarely covers sports games -- multiple big impressive looking new frostbite titles have come out this month yet we're covering an upscale of a 10 year old game.

Kinda bummed DF rarely covers sports games -- multiple big impressive looking new frostbite titles have come out this month yet we're covering an upscale of a 10 year old game.
Which ones? During gameplay don't they still look similar to previous gen versions?

Which ones? During gameplay don't they still look similar to previous gen versions?
Both EA games: Fifa has a whole different skin/hair rendering system than lastgen since last year, and a whole new animation system for nextgen only this year (according to their marketing), and nhl 22 moves to frostbite this year.

NHL 22 review embargoes are up on Friday, so expect to see videos turning up then.

Both EA games: Fifa has a whole different skin/hair rendering system than lastgen since last year, and a whole new animation system for nextgen only this year (according to their marketing), and nhl 22 moves to frostbite this year.

EA released a pretty interesting presentation on AI cloth sim form their American Football title (is it Madden?) but I'm not sure if it did manage to hit the title coming out this year or if its still in research. But considering the timing (this was recent) I assume the game's got it.

I remember when Crysis 2 released and all the effects that made the first game so popular (Like POM) were missing and people completely lost their shit!

This new release looks good, although the original release still holds up even today and even more so with Maldo's (I think that's the name, memory is fuzzy) texture pack.

Is this the first big multiplayer game with some kinda exclusive next-gen version with double players / maps on those consoles?

Nope.

Battlefield 4 - Wikipedia

Battlefield 4's multiplayer contains three playable factions—the United States, China, and Russia—fighting against each other, in up to 64-player matches on PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One (24-Player on Xbox 360 and PS3).

Even more than double here. But understandable as the jump from PS3/X360 to PS4/XBO was much larger than the jump from the last generation to this one.

Regards.
SB

Nope.

Battlefield 4 - Wikipedia

Even more than double here. But understandable as the jump from PS3/X360 to PS4/XBO was much larger than the jump from the last generation to this one.

Regards.
SB

I remember BF4 on the PS3..... it wasnt even the same game really (as on the PS4). It wasnt just the rediculous player cap, but the resolution and framerate where terrible to say it softly. Not to forget its settings where lower then low and the maps where cut down by alot. Never tested on 360 but it was probably the same there. Load times where..... unhuman aswell, sometimes you'd enter a tdm match that had gone half-way tickets, i'd ended up almost at the rounds end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back