Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do they even have a timeline for PSVR-2? Sony Ryan's statements made it seem like it's at least two years away, maybe more. That surprised me. I was thinking it would be an easy Holiday 2021 release.
PSVR2, assuming it'll be PS5-only, is going to be a platform subset of PS5 owners - just like PSVR is a platform-subset of PS4 owners. There is probably a market size that Sony has in mind that it needs to be at minimum before launching hardware. The other issue of course, is having games ready.

I have finished watching BluePoint's interview now and I gotta say, what a good job John has done there!

Absolutely excellent questions, he left no stone unturned, was able to recall many details of their previous work, was very specific and detailed on his technical talk. Of course many answers were somewhat hand-wavey, but that is the nature of devs. John was able to get the most detail I think we could possibly wish for from out of them as possible.

That I can recall, I think this was DF at its best.

TBH the PSVR2 probably got the brunt of Covid - they would have put all hands to the PS5 pump as it were, so a year delay is probably to be expected (even if a shame).
Yup, the physical design and testing of something like PSVR2, which is obviously something you can't do remotely, would be massively impacted by various lockdowns.

Something I'd also like to see DF cover is conyroller latency. Although I doubt that there will be big differences until games are optimized for it on XSX|S, although there may be some system level improvements.

Gears is obviously stand out at the moment.

Yes, it would be nice to see more numbers on controller latency than just this Gears 5. I wonder if Microsoft pushed the firmware to older controllers yet or when that may release. I've still been mostly using my Elite V1 controller, but the new SeriesX controller feels nice. I like what they've done with it from my brief use of it.

Ek3o8sMXgAEjPxj___Copy.jpg

Yes, it would be nice to see more numbers on controller latency than just this Gears 5. I wonder if Microsoft pushed the firmware to older controllers yet or when that may release. I've still been mostly using my Elite V1 controller, but the new SeriesX controller feels nice. I like what they've done with it from my brief use of it.

Ek3o8sMXgAEjPxj___Copy.jpg
The controller is part of it, so would be nice to see what is from new system & controller firmware with unoptimized game, as gears has probably used their new profiling tools that's supposed to help.

Disappointing indeed.

Native 4K is nice but if anything should've dropped to 1800p with full effects.
Or keep the 4K label it resolution mode, and have the 1800p labeled graphics, both at 60fps.
No one would complain about that, and chalked up to launch woes.
Welcome to the party of Backwards Compatibility, Sony PS5 gamers... Now maybe some viewpoints of BC being worthless will change.
Really is nice to seeing Sony going back patching old titles, even if it's just fps, although shame not resolution also.

If the game truly had 4x resolution increase those complaints seem harsh but seemed like the game must have ran with plenty off headroom on Xbox One X.

The drop off from 4K 30fps to 1080p for 60fps with lesser settings seemed big

Considering RX6800 non X plows through Forza 4 at native 4K on ULTRA at 130 FPS they've done a pretty bad job with this BC patch.

I was wondering about HZD, this is great news. I love HZD! I love killing stupid robot dinosaurs!!! :yes:

edit: actually I mis-read the tweet. HZD is backwards compatible? Yes I assumed it would be. Why does it not run at 60fps?

Yeah that is a bit weird. There was a performance mode on the original game, right? With unlocked frame rate at 1080p on Pro?
That should be 60 but they should also unlock rez slime SuckerPunch did with GOT.
Patches are needed! GOW too!

I was wondering about HZD, this is great news. I love HZD! I love killing stupid robot dinosaurs!!! :yes:

edit: actually I mis-read the tweet. HZD is backwards compatible? Yes I assumed it would be. Why does it not run at 60fps?
Some animations are hard coded at 30fps on PC. It's probably the same on PS4.

Some animations are designed to only refresh at 30fps even if the game is running at a much higher frame rate. We are exploring how we can improve this with a future update.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1151640/announcements/detail/2749963490368114776

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back