Diablo 4 [XO, XBSX|S, PC, PS4, PS5, XGP]

Quick first impressions.

Good:

- Dark and gorgeous graphics (one of my main criticisms of D3 when it came out, solved). Great atmosphere.
- Easy to play and understand.
- Nice plot twist in the first mission.
- Gorgeous cinematics (that's to be expected from Blizzard)
- Fun and engaging experience.
- Really promising Diablo game.

Neutral:
- The difficulty level, at WT2 I had some difficulties with my rogue archer but nothing crazy.

Bad:

- The Shop, to say something. Most of what's sold there isn't important for the game, although this can be a good thing too.
- Still haven't learnt how to lock my game so I can play "single player", although no one entered my game. Anyone knows how to play alone in D4?

Quick first impressions.

Good:

- Dark and gorgeous graphics (one of my main criticisms of D3 when it came out, solved). Great atmosphere.
- Easy to play and understand.
- Nice plot twist in the first mission.
- Gorgeous cinematics (that's to be expected from Blizzard)
- Fun and engaging experience.
- Really promising Diablo game.

Neutral:
- The difficulty level, at WT2 I had some difficulties with my rogue archer but nothing crazy.

Bad:

- The Shop, to say something. Most of what's sold there isn't important for the game, although this can be a good thing too.
- Still haven't learnt how to lock my game so I can play "single player", although no one entered my game. Anyone knows how to play alone in D4?
There is no playing alone.

Damnit, the Necromancer got mostly buffed, so Easy mode (WT2) just got even easier. /sigh.

This is one time I really wish it wasn't an always connected game. I can't keep using the non-buffed version of the class.

Regards,
SB
Get to WT3. All enemies are +2 levels higher by default. Mobs and elites have more abilities, resistances are required. Much harder game after WT2.

Get to WT3. All enemies are +2 levels higher by default. Mobs and elites have more abilities, resistances are required. Much harder game after WT2.

I get what you're saying but it'd be nice if the first experience was actually a satisfying experience instead of this disappointment I feel while playing through the story for the first time. /sigh.

I don't get why they made it even easier than launch D3. Bleh.

Regards,
SB

I get what you're saying but it'd be nice if the first experience was actually a satisfying experience instead of this disappointment I feel while playing through the story for the first time. /sigh.
People made this same annoying argument about Diablo 3, that the 'real game' starts once you've finished your first playthrough. But like.....that's lousy. This isn't some 6-10 hour game you can breeze through to get to the replayability. A single playthrough takes quite a long time, so why on earth could they not make that initial playthrough enjoyable as well? And not everybody plays these games to go through them 5+ times. I dislike 'endgame' loot RPG grinds. I might play through a game again to experience a new character type, but I'm not hanging around for the endless number chasing to where it starts to get ridiculous like in Diablo 3.

Diablo 2, for instance, could be played through just once, and you could have a lengthy, moderately challenging experience, where you could walk away afterwards satisfied if you never played the game again.

Or a game like Grim Dawn solves this by offering both a Normal(bit easy, but not too much) and Veteran option(bit challenging, but nothing overly so) for a first playthrough.

These games actually respect your time and understand that not everybody wants to play for 50+ hours before they get to the so-called 'real game'. And then remember that expansions will come for Diablo IV and make that first playthrough a fair bit longer still...

Talking of which, WT3 isn't available yet. How do you unlock it? I played like an hour and found the initial stages nor easy nor difficult on WT2.

@orangpelupa
I liked the cutscene where people are dancing -makes the game a bit more real life, NPCs don't seem robots with a couple of sentences there- and then..... they weren't as innocent as expected.

People made this same annoying argument about Diablo 3, that the 'real game' starts once you've finished your first playthrough. But like.....that's lousy. This isn't some 6-10 hour game you can breeze through to get to the replayability. A single playthrough takes quite a long time, so why on earth could they not make that initial playthrough enjoyable as well? And not everybody plays these games to go through them 5+ times. I dislike 'endgame' loot RPG grinds. I might play through a game again to experience a new character type, but I'm not hanging around for the endless number chasing to where it starts to get ridiculous like in Diablo 3.

Diablo 2, for instance, could be played through just once, and you could have a lengthy, moderately challenging experience, where you could walk away afterwards satisfied if you never played the game again.

Or a game like Grim Dawn solves this by offering both a Normal(bit easy, but not too much) and Veteran option(bit challenging, but nothing overly so) for a first playthrough.

These games actually respect your time and understand that not everybody wants to play for 50+ hours before they get to the so-called 'real game'. And then remember that expansions will come for Diablo IV and make that first playthrough a fair bit longer still...
Diablo 2 on Normal difficulty wasn't that hard. You could get to see everything in maybe 8 to 10 hours, and that was it.. story wise.

Hell was difficult as hell though, 'cos your resistances went down a 75% and you had to compensate for that. You needed crazy good equipment. Even so, if you found a Lighting Enchanted Multi-shot super unique, you were done for.

Maybe Diablo isn't your thing, 'cos the first playthrough won't get you all the cool stuff. I agree with you with the "real game", 'cos it's a concept I don't like.

Heck, Diablo 2 -or Diablo 3, and I guess Diablo 4- was completed once you had beaten Normal difficulty. But tbh, the fun of Diablo is getting to higher difficulties to obtain the best items for your build and make your character even more capable.

Items like the Ribcracker for a werewolf druid were obtainable in Nightmare, but some Set Items, and Unique items, etc, could only be obtained in Hell difficulty, beating the most difficult bosses in the game or in level 85 Areas.

That's not the real game, but Diablo is sooooo fun 'cos of that, the constant challenge.

You could beat Diablo 2 in a jiffy with the help of friends, and most people did so, thus you could get to Hell difficulty level, and you always wanted to play in that difficulty. The fun is there, getting the best items you can obtain.

Diablo 3 added some fun stuff to do other than playing a difficulty level like Hell all the time. The idea, imho, was great -this comes for a hardcore fan of Diablo 2, always in my heart-.

The good thing about Diablo is that you can beat it in Normal difficulty and see how the story unfolds, enjoy the super atmosphere, the great music, the dark setting, then never play again, or improve your character and play for thousands of hours trying different builds -now is easier than in Diablo 2 days, where you couldn't reset your stats-.

cheers

There is no playing alone.
right that, I haven't found anyone. I don't mind seeing other people so much, but I always prefer to play my 1st playtrhough alone at my own pace without anyone helping me rush through -specially powerful characters-, 'cos I want to enjoy the story. Btw, the map is now fully visible, which is a very good addition, in Diablo 2 every map seed was different and only in single player mode you always played the same map. Online of course was different for obvious reasons, but the fact that you can see the map now certainly liberates you and saves your time from having to find that elusive exit or stairs....

What do you miss by playing alone? In the beta, I didn't find any activity that requires multiple players. Unlike destiny 2 where some activities are locked behind multiple players

Talking of which, WT3 isn't available yet. How do you unlock it? I played like an hour and found the initial stages nor easy nor difficult on WT2.

@orangpelupa
I liked the cutscene where people are dancing -makes the game a bit more real life, NPCs don't seem robots with a couple of sentences there- and then..... they weren't as innocent as expected.
You have to finish the campaign then complete the WT2 capstone dungeon as a way to prove you're ready for WT3.

@orangpelupa
You have to complete the campaign then you can do the capstone dungeon for WT2 to unlock WT3

Regards,
SB
The game gets harder as you continue to level higher because of the way enemy scaling works. If you aren't constantly switching up gear, you'll eventually start falling behind in dps. I've seen lots of people get stuck.

Regards,
SB
regarding the difficulty level, what I've read from a couple of colleagues is that one told me that the game gets really challenging in Nightmare and Torment levels. Another colleague mentioned me that he had quite a few issues with a Sorceress which is at level 11 now.

Could it be that the necromancer is a bit too protected from minions? I remember the Necromancer Overlord build in Diablo 2, and couldn't help it but had that feeling of protection, taht the character was almost untouchable.

@Man from Atlantis so the tech is good and FSR2 and DLSS work very well with this game. XeSS works like a charm, even on Balanced -though I use Quality-. I'd like to watch a more in depth comparison between the three pixel reconstruction techniques.

Really enjoying my experience so far and having fun being distracted by everything, including side quests and random events around. So much so that I'm level 48 and barely even started Act II, have a long way to go in the campaign. Also doesn't help that I've been joining my friend in his session helping him out with his campaign so I'm still levelling but not progressing my own campaign during that obviously. Don't even have access to a mount yet!

And the great thing is I don't care, I'm just having fun learning all the new mechanics, itemization and customization systems.

Back