Destiny [PS3,X360,PS4,XO]

I did not expect to like this at all. Turns out I actually do!

I was impressed that the demo seemed more like a coop SP game than a MMO. Also, the visuals and the amount of detail they put in.

In total, it completely surprised me that this game looks so interesting, after I just thought another cheap MMO type shooter.

Just watched the whole demo: This definitely is what I want more than anything else ! The world is BEAUTIFUL :D ! There is no bigger joy for me than a world this beautiful full of missions and lore. I hope they add collectibles too, not just weapon loot, cos I got tired of that after Borderlands 1 and 2.

I loved the gameplay but one of the things i missed from all yesterday conferences is that, if you are going to play the game set a context and some objectives that can keep the attention of the viewer. I still don't know what that was about.

I was impressed that the demo seemed more like a coop SP game than a MMO. Also, the visuals and the amount of detail they put in.

In total, it completely surprised me that this game looks so interesting, after I just thought another cheap MMO type shooter.

It's pretty similar to the model most subscription-free MMOs take now, with "shards". There may be hubs where you can meet up with large numbers of players, but missions will fall into a "shard" structure that has a limited number of players. So, every 4 players, for example, would have their own copy of that mission to play in.

The game looks a lot like Borderlands, to me. Bigger world, better graphics, but basically Borderlands. I'm definitely going to end up giving this one a shot, because everything about it is what I like. Co-op focus, lots of content, loot, customization, skill tree. And it's made by Bungie, who make quality games. Just wasn't blown away by the mission they showed.

It's pretty similar to the model most subscription-free MMOs take now, with "shards". There may be hubs where you can meet up with large numbers of players, but missions will fall into a "shard" structure that has a limited number of players. So, every 4 players, for example, would have their own copy of that mission to play in.

The game looks a lot like Borderlands, to me. Bigger world, better graphics, but basically Borderlands. I'm definitely going to end up giving this one a shot, because everything about it is what I like. Co-op focus, lots of content, loot, customization, skill tree. And it's made by Bungie, who make quality games. Just wasn't blown away by the mission they showed.

And the fact that GUNS can level up and so, are for keeps. Unlike in Borderlands 2, where u had to keep changing guns as you level up, instead of a way to make your favourite gun stronger ! That is why I am more interested, as he clearly showed a whole levelling up system for the ""Thunderstorm" he got from that fight.

But I still don't get their 10 years plans. Yes the game will be HUGe to explore and they can keep adding planets later, but the core gameplay can't survive for so long. That is why we get sequels with juggled up mechanics or new mechanics. We can't keep playing the same gameplay for 10 years !

Otherwise, I know my Ps4 will have Destiny for sure.

And the fact that GUNS can level up and so, are for keeps. Unlike in Borderlands 2, where u had to keep changing guns as you level up, instead of a way to make your favourite gun stronger ! That is why I am more interested, as he clearly showed a whole levelling up system for the ""Thunderstorm" he got from that fight.

But I still don't get their 10 years plans. Yes the game will be HUGe to explore and they can keep adding planets later, but the core gameplay can't survive for so long. That is why we get sequels with juggled up mechanics or new mechanics. We can't keep playing the same gameplay for 10 years !

Otherwise, I know my Ps4 will have Destiny for sure.

Yeah, leveling up guns is cool, for sure.

I think there will be a lot to the gameplay they haven't shown. I think they were just showing the basics. I'd expect a lot more, with bigger battles, vehicles and different styles of levels.

People play WOW for years on end, and it's sucks. There are people that have put 10 years into Halo MP, and that's going to be primitive compared to Destiny. I wouldn't worry about lasting appeal.

The important question for me is: do thry manage to keep the immersion alive. The MMO I tried so far were really not good at that. This f2p star wars game is ridiculous, as lots of people running around and doing the same mission, but a bit shifted in time...just does not feel right.

I wonder how they handle this.

I have to take back everything I said about Bungie not being able to produce games with character. They've clearly fixed that. Their new game is surely destined to greatness.

Not the best quality but...

image_destiny-22366-2656_0027.jpg

image_destiny-22366-2656_0020.jpg

image_destiny-22366-2656_0018.jpg

image_destiny-22366-2656_0017.jpg

image_destiny-22366-2656_0012.jpg

image_destiny-22366-2656_0007.jpg

I'm going to guess the reason the character models and NPCs are relatively low poly is to accommodate this being an MMO-ish type of game. Still somewhat disappointing

The lighting and texture work are fantastic though.

Regards,
SB

I'm going to guess the reason the character models and NPCs are relatively low poly is to accommodate this being an MMO-ish type of game. Still somewhat disappointing

The lighting and texture work are fantastic though.

Regards,
SB

Low poly characters are there because game needs to run on PS3/X360 consoles. PS4/Xbone will essentially get PC port of the game [better textures and IQ effects... but nothing more than that].

Low poly characters are there because game needs to run on PS3/X360 consoles. PS4/Xbone will essentially get PC port of the game [better textures and IQ effects... but nothing more than that].

There is that. But I'm also seeing a lot of (to me) disturbingly low poly character/NPC models in next gen only games.

KZ: Shadowfall for example has low poly models for the Helghast as well. In motion it isn't too distracting, at least on the compressed video feeds I've seen, but in screenshots it looks horrible, IMO.

I'm guessing that they just haven't had time to come to terms with the hardware tessellation capabilities of the new hardware yet. As some current gen PC games already use it to have more naturally rounded features on character models (Deus Ex: HR and Tomb Raider for example).

Would like to see things like that extended to world NPCs. In a firefight you don't notice it, but say walking around a cityscape when no combat is happening, it's glaringly obvious. Or worse yet, when you stand still to have a conversation with an NPC, especially if it's handled in an in game cutscene.

Regards,
SB

I'm literally teetering on the brink of insanity wondering whether or not this will be featured on PC. I must have it. It's the sole purpose I'm considering a next gen console.

I'm literally teetering on the brink of insanity wondering whether or not this will be featured on PC. I must have it. It's the sole purpose I'm considering a next gen console.

Well, if it helps, it is being published by Activision. And pretty much EVERYTHING that Activision publishes also comes out on PC. I can't think of anything off the top of my head that was published by Activision for X360/PS3 that didn't also appear on PC.

Regards,
SB

Back