Destiny [PS3,X360,PS4,XO]

It is a tease.

Concept art is gorgeous; ingame implementation not as much though.

Absolutely right. Bungie has some super duper talented concept artists, however I always find their in-game models to be quite off the mark. It's weird too as I loved the in-game models and art in Halo 1,2 & 3. I just found everything they've done after that to be a bit meh. This game looks interesting though, and even though the in-game/engine stuff shown so far doesn't quite capture the phenominal artwork of the concept art, I still find it more appealling visually than any of their last couple of games.

Wished they'd have waited till they had something of substance to show though. It almost seemed a bit arrogant to me for them to so hype an event to reveal a game, and instead of showing stuff they just showed a bit of concept art, some in-enigine renders and then talked up the rest. Someone should teach them the art of brevity, in that a good trailer can do all that is required to communicate your vision for a game, much better than seeing 5 mins of random folks chatting up how awesome your idea is.

Either way, I'm keeping my eye on this one.

I'm definitely a lot more excited about this, having read the preview, than I've ever been about any Halo game. The concept art is a lot more interesting to me than anything they've done in Halo. Seems like Guild Wars 2 might be the closest to the model they're going for, but I guess we'll have to wait and see once they give out some more details. Kind of wish I had a better system to play it on than 360. Hopefully next-gen is out before this game releases, so I can play the first episode on something that isn't ancient.

After looking at the artwork I could imagine the same kind of designs being used in a Halo environment. Looks more like HaloNG to me with the motivation to own their IP again after loosing it to Microsoft due to the split. I don't really believe that Bungie couldn't sell MS the idea of some MMO FPS in a beyond Halo setting.

The main reason they left Microsoft was that they didn't want to make another Halo game. They wanted to make something different, something NOT in the Halo universe. So I doubt they were all that sad to not have the Halo IP tag along with their departure.

Had Microsoft allowed them to work on something other than Halo after Halo 3, there's a good chance they would have stayed.

But by the time Reach was finished, there was no way they were going to stay even with 343i being created. As they likely felt that Microsoft would still pressure them to work on the Halo IP.

Regards,
SB

The main reason they left Microsoft was that they didn't want to make another Halo game. They wanted to make something different, something NOT in the Halo universe. So I doubt they were all that sad to not have the Halo IP tag along with their departure.

I doubt they easily gave up the successful IP they worked so hard on. If you have such a trademark game universe you keep it if possible.

Had Microsoft allowed them to work on something other than Halo after Halo 3, there's a good chance they would have stayed.

They split October 2007 from MS. A month after the Halo 3 release and that has surely taken a long time to negotiate. Then made ODST and Reach to full fill their obligations while probably already working on their new Destiny IP.

Reach was released September 2010, the Activision deal happened in April 2010.

But by the time Reach was finished, there was no way they were going to stay even with 343i being created. As they likely felt that Microsoft would still pressure them to work on the Halo IP.

Regards,
SB

If MS let them split and build up 343i(founded 2007) to continue the Halo series it doesn't look to me as if MS really played hardball here with Bungie's creative interests. Why shouldn't MS be interested into new IP developed by people with a proven record?

Therefore I think the whole thing is more motivated with IP/Control/Money.

If MS let them split and build up 343i(founded 2007) to continue the Halo series it doesn't look to me as if MS really played hardball here with Bungie's creative interests. Why shouldn't MS be interested into new IP developed by people with a proven record?

Therefore I think the whole thing is more motivated with IP/Control/Money.

Naw, I just got the timeline wrong. By the time Halo 3 was finished, Bungie had already been making some noises about how tired they were of working on the Halo franchise. It's all they'd been working on for almost a decade by the time Halo 3 was released to the public. Halo was announced in 1999 with development having started a year or two prior to that.

Bungie were just very burned out on working on Halo, it was the last thing they wanted to continue working on, at least without taking a break from it.

As you mentioned they had to stick around to fulfill their contract obligations. MS knew that, Bungie knew that. Had MS allowed them to work on something other than Halo, after Halo 3 as I said, there's a good chance they would have stayed with MS.

Unfortunately, that wasn't something MS could have allowed. Halo is far too big of an IP to let sit idle. It's also far too big of an IP to allow for the chance of substandard development, hence the creation of 343i.

It's also completely understandable that Bungie were sick and tired of working on the same IP non-stop for that long. Look at their past development history. They've aways mixed things up to allow their creative juices to flow. Marathon - FPS into Myth - RTS into Oni - third person action game and then back to FPS with Halo.

I'm not sure it's the direction they are going but it seems like Destiny is going 3rd person instead of first person. As well as with a large universe where they can tinker with ideas beyond just straight up FPS style of gameplay.

They did say they would like to revisit the Halo universe at some point. But only after they've had time to develop some other things first because they were basically tired of working on Halo.

If the Halo IP had followed Bungie, it likely would have sat idle with no one working on it for 10 or so years. Which would have been a problem. As you can bet whichever publisher they signed with would start to put increasing amounts of pressure on them to make a Halo game when the last thing they want to do is make a Halo game.

Regards,
SB

Yeah, the one question that remains here is if MS will want / allow Bungie to do another Halo game eventually, and if so, what that game is going to be about.

Game also coming to current gen means it cannot be too ambitious technically I think, but we'll see.

Game also coming to current gen means it cannot be too ambitious technically I think, but we'll see.

They can always put player limits on the current gen, or smaller maps, fewer enemies, less vehicles etc. Think Battlefield 3. There's no reason they need to keep parity between current and next-gen in that regard.

Well that's where the PC experience would be able to help them out. Next gen consoles get something closer to high end PC settings while X360 and PS3 get something closer to mid/low level PC settings.

Still, that makes you wonder. An engine for PC, one for X360, one for PS3, and one each for the next gen consoles? So much work. :) It makes you wonder if they've licensed an engine from Crytek, Epic, or someone else.

Regards,
SB

Well that's where the PC experience would be able to help them out. Next gen consoles get something closer to high end PC settings while X360 and PS3 get something closer to mid/low level PC settings.

Still, that makes you wonder. An engine for PC, one for X360, one for PS3, and one each for the next gen consoles? So much work. :) It makes you wonder if they've licensed an engine from Crytek, Epic, or someone else.

Regards,
SB

They'll have an engine for all versions. Then deploy individually on each platform, and tweak to get the performance up. Most devs at this point I would imagine would have this kind of functionality built into their engine and tools pipeline.

I don't care if the game doesn't melt my face off graphically, I'm loving what I'm seeing. I'm sure over the next few installments, the difference between current and next gen versions will become larger (assuming they continue to support current gen years down the road.)

I watched the ViDoc on Live. I don't really know what to think. Not much info on what the game actually is.

Game structure, from what I read, reminds me of Guild Wars, which is a good thing.
Won't play it though, as it won't be released on any device I own.
So that's that, one less sell for them.

Game structure, from what I read, reminds me of Guild Wars, which is a good thing.
Won't play it though, as it won't be released on any device I own.
So that's that, one less sell for them.

I'd be hugely surprised if it doesn't show up on PC. Off the top of my head I can't think of any AAA console games that Activision didn't also release on PC. Especially when it comes to shooters. Well there was COD 3. But that was ages ago.

Regards,
SB

Back