Destiny [PS3,X360,PS4,XO]

Well, if it helps, it is being published by Activision. And pretty much EVERYTHING that Activision publishes also comes out on PC. I can't think of anything off the top of my head that was published by Activision for X360/PS3 that didn't also appear on PC.

Regards,
SB

I have a hunch that Blizzard's upcoming MMO Titan is going to be a PC version of Destiny. It makes sense. Activision is the publisher of Destiny and the parent company of Blizzard. Also, statements made by Bungie employees said they want to focus their core team on Destiny. This way Blizzard could produce it while not detracting from Bungie's development team. Also, the little information given on the topic of Titan by Blizzard was its not one of Blizzard's core IP's.

That's my theory =P

Same demo area but new playthrough released by Bungie. THe beauty of the environments in undeniable, but the game seems to be too easy in this demo. Maybe they played it on too easy or something, but showing tougher battles will actually give a taste of the gameplay better.

I'm pretty sure the player we see the game through has god mode on like he did during Sony's press conference. Even then his buddy got shot down quickly by that first boss.

I'm liking the focus on firing from the hip. No need to slow things down by aiming down the sights. It's interesting that their level 35 characters were joined by level 20 characters during that public event. Hopefully that means the gameplay will be less of a gear check and more about skill.

This game although epic, lacks something. I can't quite finger it.

You are right about that. As amazing as it seems, there's something lacking uptill now. I am guessing its the gameplay. These demos are not really giving us a good picture of what is 'fun part' or 'hook' of the gameplay. What is unique over other co-op shooters? The only answer right now is : The world ! The massive world is so 'new', Yes !

But i want to know what is 'massive' about the gameplay ? Can we expect starting out on a journey with a friend only to end the play-session fighting a war with lots of other groups? Can we expect 20 players together trying to take down a boss or a horde in a public event ? What are the possibilities? Why choose Destiny ?

I can see what a nextgen Mass Effect would look like by looking at Destiny, maybe with even more lens flare. But yeah the art style and lighting looked good, the rest not so much.

Really nice looking environments. I think the gameplay lacked correct audio volume levels which is why it didn't look too engaging. I like the "public event" gameplay mechanic.

So unlike the original contract it's now no longer xbox exclusive, but it's still PC excluded? The initial exclusivity was clearly bought with money or Microsoft contract terms for Bungie's freedom in the first place. So Microsoft made money or spent less money by letting it go on the Sony consoles ... and yet, Microsoft was not willing to give Activision an equally good deal to get it out on PCs?

Microsoft would rather see games on their competitor's console than on the PC ... nice Microsoft, really nice ...

So unlike the original contract it's now no longer xbox exclusive, but it's still PC excluded? The initial exclusivity was clearly bought with money or Microsoft contract terms for Bungie's freedom in the first place. So Microsoft made money or spent less money by letting it go on the Sony consoles ... and yet, Microsoft was not willing to give Activision an equally good deal to get it out on PCs?

Microsoft would rather see games on their competitor's console than on the PC ... nice Microsoft, really nice ...

Eh, there's been nothing said about Destiny being exclusive to consoles. I'd be hugely surprised if it wasn't also releasing on PC considering Activision's past software release policies combined with how much easier it is to port PC to console or console to PC with the next generation compared to PS3/X360.

Oh, I finally remembered one Activision title which didn't get a PC release. COD 2. Man, that one pissed me off. But pretty much everything since then has seen release on PC.

Regards,
SB

You mean CoD3? :)

Yeah ! COD2 was fab on PC. Fantastic !
I never really missed COD3 on PC, it just wasn't a IW game. Played it on my ps2 and a bit on a 360, only a few areas felt like a COD.

I think there was even a small mention of Destiny coming over to PC, but am not sure anymore.

But I still don't get their 10 years plans. Yes the game will be HUGe to explore and they can keep adding planets later, but the core gameplay can't survive for so long. That is why we get sequels with juggled up mechanics or new mechanics. We can't keep playing the same gameplay for 10 years !
As a long time World of Warcraft player, I'd disagree. Blizzard's world has grown, not only in terms of game real estate with four expansions, but in terms of core game mechanics. And if you want to shake things up, you can change that world, like Blizzard did pretty spectacularly with Cataclysm.

Games like WoW flourish because players invest time and effort in their characters, gear and guilds, they build enduring social communities. The world changes, stories unfold and wanting to best new challenges with your guild gives you something to strive for.

I think this is what Bungie are aiming for with Destiny. I hope so. Like a few others, I wasn't remotely interested in this game but having watched it played at Sony's E3 PS4 event, I'm now very interested. The crucial point for me is being able to play solo if I want or need too. Ditto, The Division.

I have never played WOW or any other MMO, so I might not 'get' what people do for such a long time :) or how much Blizzard changes the game with expansions. Eve Online has also continued for a decade now. So, yes there are games that do it. But it will be something new for me, if a game can keep me interested for 10 years.

Yes, we have had MGS games for 25 years now and we are still looking forward to MGS V but then they were all different games, with different engines, new machanics everytime !

Hmmm....maybe its just a matter of calling it a new game or rejig-ging the existing one ! If they add a new engine, graphical improvements over time and redo the gameplay with an update and still keep calling it Destiny, yes, I think its just a matter of percieving it as a new game or the same game with updates :)

I have never played WOW or any other MMO, so I might not 'get' what people do for such a long time :) or how much Blizzard changes the game with expansions. Eve Online has also continued for a decade now. So, yes there are games that do it. But it will be something new for me, if a game can keep me interested for 10 years.
I started playing WoW in around 2006 and I've been quitting WoW since around 2010 ;) When I think I've exhausted my enjoyment of WoW, of how I understand or interact with the world, they change things up. Sometimes in a minor way, sometimes in a major way. I simply wouldn't play it if it wasn't still compelling and rewarding :smile: But Blizzard have a script for how the WoW world developers, Bungie have indicated that Destiny will be more freeform.

Hmmm....maybe its just a matter of calling it a new game or rejig-ging the existing one ! If they add a new engine, graphical improvements over time and redo the gameplay with an update and still keep calling it Destiny, yes, I think its just a matter of percieving it as a new game or the same game with updates :)

Think less about material changes that Bungie do and more about the dynamic persistent world they have said they are trying to create. In the Sony E3 event you saw two dudes, scavenger/explorers, drop in independently next to a Russian wall. What if in a months time, following a few more "public events" like the 'Fallen Assault' shown, the focus shifts less on exploration but on fighting the Fallen back. Say the Fallen grab key resource nodes and flying about is a luxary because they lack fuel. What if they're fighting for pure survival. Maybe the human faction just bug out and call that area of Earth a loss, focus their efforts elsewhere. Maybe some players will continue to fight the Fallen, employing guerrilla tactics, other players will head to places where it's more of a stand up fight. Others will go and assist in grabbing resources, or defending them. The thing about a balanced MMOG like WoW is, that each day you can chose to do something different and play a different way. And everything will aid both you, your guild or your faction in some way. :cool:

I remember, when I used to have more time, playing a WoW battleground called Alterac Valley. 40 vs 40 players trying to win the game, pushing, defending, sneaking, grabbing resource nodes. A single game could easily go on for 8 hours if both sides were evenly matched and experienced. Every small win was elation, every lose a crushing defeat. The thought of letting this play out on a larger scale, thrills me :oops:

If it's everything Bungie promise. Fortunately, they have a good multiplayer pedigree.

So what is the end game? (For people who don't just want to socialize and dick around.) I just don't see PvE easy mode gear grinding to have long lasting appeal ... you need the linedancing aspect of perfecting your strategy and execution of instance repetition to get some feeling of achievement from the gear grinding I think.

AFAICS that is their only option for end game, raiding (and to a lesser extent seasonal PvP, just like WoW). That and player made faction PvP with empire building are still the only two proven concepts for end game with mass popularity (esoteric stuff like Tale in the Desert has it's niche, but doesn't seem suited for a high budget title).

PS. never mind, linedancing it is.

PPS. I still don't think MMOs will work well on consoles.

So what is the end game? (For people who don't just want to socialize and dick around.) I just don't see PvE easy mode gear grinding to have long lasting appeal ... you need the linedancing aspect of perfecting your strategy and execution of instance repetition to get some feeling of achievement from the gear grinding I think.
It's hard to tell, because they've shown to little, but I think if you just want to rush through the game and shoot the big monster at the end, Destiny may not be for you.

Traditional end game content in MMOs is only available to only the highest geared, organised and determined players in WoW. And these are things that only come from putting in some effort. And if you look at the sites that track WoW player and guild progression en masse, the majority - the casuals (hence the perpetual dumbing down of game mechanics) - aren't tackling this season's end game content, they are working through last seasons, or the season before that.

The problem, as you say, is that grinding in an MMO isn't fun. This is because the combat has evolved from dice-throw mechanics with no skill required. It's repetitive. You dude doesn't even need to be facing the direction of your enemy in many cases. It's actually Combat Devolved(tm). But Destiny is a shooter. If they make the combat fun, grinding doesn't feel like grinding, it feels like shooting the crap out of stuff with your friends and having fun. Because it is.

AFAICS that is their only option for end game, raiding (and to a lesser extent seasonal PvP, just like WoW). That and player made faction PvP with empire building are still the only two proven concepts for end game with mass popularity (esoteric stuff like Tale in the Desert has it's niche, but doesn't seem suited for a high budget title)
Personal and gear progression, empire building, land grabs and resource capture wrapped in great shooting gameplay will probably more than do it. The first two are important to give a sense of advancement to the player. The next the next three important to make the player feel involved in the world. To make it worth the effort. The final point should be obvious enough. I still play the original Motorstorm and Virtua Fighter 5. Why? Because they are just fun to play.

PPS. I still don't think MMOs will work well on consoles.

I agree that that traditional MMO's would translate poorly to consoles. Or indeed any game which is reliant on text input for communication, has excessively stat-based game player or heavy micromanagement. But Oblivion and Skyrim has convinced me great RPGs can do done on consoles and Borderlands and Borderlands 2 have convinced me that class-based co-operative shooters can also be done well on consoles.

Destiny is the next logical step.

empire building, land grabs and resource capture
Without player made factions none of that has any real appeal.

Capturing resources and land to improve my guild? Great. Capturing resources and land to improve a great amorphous blob of players I don't know and don't identify with to the slightest? Not so much. Realm pride was always a stupid illusion.

Back