Dell&HP slam "erroneous" Intel/MS HDDVD claims

AlphaWolf said:
Oh I should cheer Sony's altruistic motives of supporting proprietary design (yay for $20 8meg memory cards).
At the risk of demoralizing you further, any compnay that gets the monopoly on a format will milk it for all it's worth. To Sony's credit at least they've made a change from expensive memory cards to standard media in PS3; an attitude they're rival supporting HDDVD doesn't seem to share ;)

Shifty Geezer said:
To Sony's credit at least they've made a change from expensive memory cards to standard media in PS3

Have they made that official? I just havent read anywhere that it was confirmed you could save game data to any media

A quick end in sight?

This Paramount news is absolutely massive. I think/hope Universal is soon to follow.

avaya said:
A quick end in sight?

This Paramount news is absolutely massive. I think/hope Universal is soon to follow.

Thank you avaya for actually wanting to talk about the newest hottest news. Yes Paramount is absolutely massive. Less reason for somebody to buy a $999 HD-DVD player. But we have to look at there reasons for choosing to also put their movies out on BDs.

1. PS3 (the ulimate trojan horse)

2. New data on lower cost.

3. Manufacturability

4. Good copy protection solutions

Wasn't three out of the four listed above what MS and Intel were talking bad about? So why did Paramount a billion dollar company choose to go with Blu-ray? And better yet why announce it now, during the whole MS/Intel vs. Dell/HP fiasco? Must mean something.

Shifty Geezer said:
At the risk of demoralizing you further, any compnay that gets the monopoly on a format will milk it for all it's worth. To Sony's credit at least they've made a change from expensive memory cards to standard media in PS3; an attitude they're rival supporting HDDVD doesn't seem to share ;)

Monopoly? You might wanna look up that word. The only way this will wind up in any kind of monopoly is if one side loses and a single vendor winds up continuing support.

As for the memory unit crap I haven't seen anything that suggest ps3 will be any different, but who cares if you have a hard drive. (not that I intend to buy an XBOX360)

AlphaWolf said:
Paramount isn't ditching HD-DVD they claim to be supporting both sides.

Never said they were chap. I said they are supporting Blu-ray now. Check my quote.

me said:
But we have to look at there reasons for choosing to also put their movies out on BDs.

I said also. They wouldn't have done this had MS and Intel been completely right.

mckmas8808 said:
Never said they were chap. I said they are supporting Blu-ray now. Check my quote.

I said also. They wouldn't have done this had MS and Intel been completely right.

If I didn't quote you, I wasn't talking to you. I was merely making it clear to anyone who might be reading the thread.

AlphaWolf said:
If I didn't quote you, I wasn't talking to you. I was merely making it clear to anyone who might be reading the thread.

Cool. :cool: And let me make it clear to the people reading this thread tomorrow the four highlights to why Paramount choose to also put HD movies on the BD format.

1. PS3 (the ulimate trojan horse)

2. New data on lower media cost.

3. Manufacturability

4. Good copy protection solutions

I would take the claims vis-à-vis manufacturability and costs from both sides with a pinch of salt.

New words from Richard Doherty.

"I think things are more cloudy now for HD DVD than they were five days before," said Envisioneering analyst Richard Doherty. "I think this is probably going to cause some reflection at Microsoft."

Hmmm... what does he mean by "cause some reflection at MS"? So Richard thinks things are looking more cloudy for HD-DVD now than 5 days ago? Wasn't he the guy doing all that talking last week? Change of Heart?

Link http://news.com.com/FAQ+HD+DVD+vs.+Blu+ray/2100-1041_3-5886956.html

mckmas8808 said:
Hmmm... what does he mean by "cause some reflection at MS"? So Richard thinks things are looking more cloudy for HD-DVD now than 5 days ago? Wasn't he the guy doing all that talking last week? Change of Heart?

It would be a lot easier to answer that if we had the context in which he made the comment.

<edit> ah you added the link. Looks like he's just suggesting that Microsoft might rethink their position (backing HDDVD) because Dell and HP reaffirmed blu-ray support.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some analysis of the Paramount announcement, and possible similar announcements from Warners and Universal:

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6262261.html

This is a very telling paragraph (emphasis mine):

With the DVD market rapidly maturing and slowing to single-digit growth rates, media companies, which derive most of their studio revenue and profits from DVD, are pressuring their home video and consumer electronics units to get the next-gen format into the market as quickly as possible, whichever one it is, in order to rejuvenate sales of their vast libraries of TV, movie and music programming on discs.

Obviously they're thinking that not only will the PS3 eventually reach large numbers of units shipped but do so quickly, to minimize the transition as the installed-base for a new format ramps up.

EDIT: looks like wco81 beat me to it! :)

HD-DVD Hollywood exclusivity eroding away...

More from Google

"Universal would not comment, but if Warner does announce that it also will publish in both formats, Universal is expected to be pressured to reluctantly follow suit.

Warner's softening position was believed to be what motivated Microsoft and Intel to announce support of HD DVD last week.

But many said at the time that announcement was too little, too late."

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6262261.html

Last edited by a moderator:
so companies will publish on both formats until a winner is decided I guess... they should just come to an agreement and make 1 format.

valioso said:
so companies will publish on both formats until a winner is decided I guess... they should just come to an agreement and make 1 format.

HD-DVD studios are dropping exclusivity. Blu-Ray studios are not.

Apparently this dual format speculation is a face saving measure from the HD-DVD studios, the Video Biz article says they could well be on Blu-Ray only for the launch.

A quick end is now truly in sight!

There are two Richard Dohertys.

One works for Microsoft and was quoted widely last week when then announced their support for HD-DVD. Before that, he used to work for Panasonic, where he was often quoted saying positive things about Blu-Ray.

The other works for Envisoneering, a market research firm. He was quoted about the state of the formats.

avaya said:
HD-DVD studios are dropping exclusivity. Blu-Ray studios are not.

that will depend on what kind of acceptance hd-dvd will have in the public.. I doubt studios will willingly lose on possible sales and profit.

valioso said:
that will depend on what kind of acceptance hd-dvd will have in the public.. I doubt studios will willingly lose on possible sales and profit.

Everyone wants a single format. Why on earth would FOX and Disney now release on HD-DVD as well when they see their HD-DVD competitors jumping ship to Blu-Ray?

It's becoming pretty clear that HD-DVD is in serious trouble.

If Universal follows Paramount and even Warners follows suit as that article predicts (which would be like the Sony-owned Columbia announcing they would release HD-DVD titles), it would be a logical progression.

Because people who've been paying attention know that these 3 studios announced with great fanfare all these HD-DVD titles they were going to release by this Xmas.

The fact that they haven't (which probably figures into Toshiba's decision to delay launch) shows that they're heading towards flipping.

They can release in both formats but once the PS3 comes out, the Blu-Ray market will just be too much bigger than the HD-DVD market.

Back