Dell&HP slam "erroneous" Intel/MS HDDVD claims

BlueTsunami said:
That I hate most about Blu-Ray. I spent money on a HDTV set and it doesn't have HDMI. Ok. So basically what the supporters of Blu-Ray is asking the general public is to go out and BUY another HDTV with HDMI this time. Its ridiculous and they better change it come PS3 release time...or the only Blu-Ray player i'll be having is my PS3...i'll have a HD-DVD player (separate) in the next room for my High-Def cinema needs.

Actually, it's not clear what's going to happen with analog component.

The Fox exec. was quoted as saying people who adopted HDTV sets shouldn't be left out in the cold.

Some speculation is that early players will have full resolution output but that they will gradually phase out analog component output support so that later players would only output HDTV resolutions over HDMI.

BTW, don't expect any big differences between the formats on analog component support. It will be more a function of the studios than the formats.

wco81 said:
Nice, both you and one ignore scooby's valid points about the lack of benefits of a high-def disc format and instead decide to comment on my obviously sarcastic throw-away joke.

Do you dispute the fact that the benefits for this high def disc format for movies is limited to better resolutions?

.Sis

london-boy said:
To anyone who's really concerned about lack of HDMI in their TVs. There will be adapters. Like always.
Do you know of an adapter that will take a DVI out and convert it to component? When I looked into it, I could only find 200 dollar scan converters that would do this.

.Sis

Sis said:
Do you know of an adapter that will take a DVI out and convert it to component? When I looked into it, I could only find 200 dollar scan converters that would do this.

.Sis

Well there's the ATI one, not sure if that only works with the vid cards or what tho.

You could store a ton of data and archive HDTV content (assuming the broadcast flag allows such).

There is no other consumer medium for archiving HDTV content other than D-VHS.

But there's no random access with D-VHS.

AlphaWolf said:
Well there's the ATI one, not sure if that only works with the vid cards or what tho.
Actually, it only works with specific ATI cards that I believe internally do the scan conversion--that is, when the dongle is present, the card knows to output the correct feed. The dongle itself does nothing...

.Sis

wco81 said:
You could store a ton of data and archive HDTV content (assuming the broadcast flag allows such).

There is no other consumer medium for archiving HDTV content other than D-VHS.

But there's no random access with D-VHS.
Sure. And if we were talking about the storage capabilities of the hi def disc formats, I might agree with you. I'm specifically talking about HD disc format as a movie distribution mechanism.

.Sis

Why wouldn't we think about data storage capacities?

In the era of 60 GB iPods, there's no utility for cheap optical medium for mass storage backups?

And you think storage capacity has absolutely no bearing on the utility of these formats as media for HD video content?

...not to mention that Dell/HP representing the PC industry in general, storage capacity would seem pretty relevant for a storage medium standard. HD movie distribution would almost seem secondary (even tertiary) in that venue.

Sis said:
Sure. And if we were talking about the storage capabilities of the hi def disc formats, I might agree with you. I'm specifically talking about HD disc format as a movie distribution mechanism.

.Sis

Sis having the internet connectivity can bring load apon loads of extra stuff in the future. Downloading a new language, deleted scenes, new and extra commentary, etc is one big thing that I consider next-gen media.

wco81 said:
Why wouldn't we think about data storage capacities?

In the era of 60 GB iPods, there's no utility for cheap optical medium for mass storage backups?

And you think storage capacity has absolutely no bearing on the utility of these formats as media for HD video content?
You're lumping it all together, as if it's a zero sum game (which maybe it is, but I'm thinking it's not).

It may be true that given a 50 gig writable medium, people will use it to archive HD content. Maybe this is true and if so I would think that it would have the same market penetration as of a writable DVD device to store off non-HD content today. There is a market for that; it doesn't appear to be very large, but there is a market.

On the PC side, I would point to someone else's post (l-b's?) where he points out that even though DVDs are prevelant in the PC industry, you still see many things released on multiple CDs. I don't know what it's like today, since it has been awhile since I've purchased software in a physical medium for my PC. So even with the introduction of larger format drives, how long till they are mainstream enough to have an impact on distribution.

Which leaves us with your suggestion, that Blu-ray is compelling because it offers a larger back-up solution. This to me is not very interesting at all. But even if it were, this does not mean that the Blu-ray format for distributing movies will be successful, is desirable as a consumer product, or has anything new to offer, especially with regards to movies.

.Sis

mckmas8808 said:
Sis having the internet connectivity can bring load apon loads of extra stuff in the future. Downloading a new language, deleted scenes, new and extra commentary, etc is one big thing that I consider next-gen media.
This sounds utterly boring though. Seriously, I love buying the extra special, superduper edition of a DVD--seriously, I'm their target market for releasing special edition #1 and 6 months later follow it with extra special superduper edition, now with 5 hours of never before seen footage. And guess what, those extra 5 hours of never before seen footage? It will remain unseen in my house as well, because it tends to be not very good (the LOTR series is a notable exception). However, releasing extra content after it's released? That feels terribly gimmicky and not very useful.

I tell you what I want: Give me "view on demand" with HD content. I want to download any movie ever made when I want to watch it. That to me is a real breakthrough.

.Sis

Sis said:
This sounds utterly boring though. Seriously, I love buying the extra special, superduper edition of a DVD--seriously, I'm their target market for releasing special edition #1 and 6 months later follow it with extra special superduper edition, now with 5 hours of never before seen footage. And guess what, those extra 5 hours of never before seen footage? It will remain unseen in my house as well, because it tends to be not very good (the LOTR series is a notable exception). However, releasing extra content after it's released? That feels terribly gimmicky and not very useful.

I tell you what I want: Give me "view on demand" with HD content. I want to download any movie ever made when I want to watch it. That to me is a real breakthrough.

.Sis

Well saying that Blu-ray brings nothing new to the table shows how closed minded you are thinking. Do a search here or Google next-gen media just to see the new possibilities.

I loath Microsoft and Sony, but Blue-Ray appears to be a superior format. I'm glad someone big called MS on it, although I have no idea what Intel has to gain. I guess now we know who's pitcher and who's catcher.

RollingBalls said:
I loath Microsoft and Sony, but Blue-Ray appears to be a superior format. I'm glad someone big called MS on it, although I have no idea what Intel has to gain. I guess now we know who's pitcher and who's catcher.

What's so superior about Blu-Ray again? :?:

I think it comes down to the timing, price and what movies will be on what. I am personally going with HD-DVD because New Line is supporting it and HD LoTR will be the first investment I make.

Talking of neutrality

MS was clearly not in a neutral position before deciding to support HD-DVD.

They have a lot to gain by muddying the waters for PS3’s supposed feature advantage. That issue will surely have played a role in their final decision, how big a role is pure conjecture.

Intel? Viiv or merely being obedient? I don’t understand that one at all.

Now HP and Dell…Inane Dork asked the question earlier in this thread, why would both these OEM’s care? They are both are aligned to WinTel but they’re opposing them on this issue.

Michael Dell was even quite vocal about this issue in a press event the other day.

If anything the OEM’s should be the most neutral of all the parties, after all does it really matter to them who wins? You have to ask yourself why exactly they prefer Blu-Ray and why most hardware manufatcurers prefer Blu-Ray.

Launch dates, so HD-DVD is Q1 2006. Was HD-DVD not set to be releasing before Blu-Ray to begin with?

PS3 launches Q1/Q2 2006 apparently – I would assume Blu-Ray will also launch within a short time of this event, maybe late 2006? We have no concrete launch date. If Dell and HP are saying 50GB will be ready for launch why should we not believe them? If we are trusting in WinTel’s assessment why do we not put the same faith in the OEMs?

Back