Dell&HP slam "erroneous" Intel/MS HDDVD claims

London Geezer

Legend
Supporter
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/30/dell_hp_vs_ms_intel/

Dell, HP slam Intel, MS' 'erroneous' HD DVD claims
Our format's better. Isn't. Is. Isn't. Is. Isn't. Is...

By Tony Smith
Published Friday 30th September 2005 14:04 GMT

Backers of the Blu-ray Disc (BD) have hit back against "erroneous" claims from Intel and Microsoft that HD DVD is the superior next-generation optical disc format for PCs.

The joint Intel/Microsoft statement was said to be "not aligned" with the "vast majority" of computer industry participants, Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) members Dell and HP said.

"Microsoft and Intel's announcement erroneously indicates that HD-DVD has an advantage in a number of areas," they claimed, pointing to the chip and software giants' statement that HD DVD offers a greater storage capacity than BD.

As The Register noted at the time, Intel and MS' claim that HD DVD's 30GB capacity is better than BD's 25GB is nonsense: the two companies conveniently ignored the fact they were talking about dual-layer HD DVD discs and single-layer BDs.

Dell and HP also challenged MS and Intel on their claim that HD DVD is the only format to allow users to make controlled copies of the content stored on the disc: that's part of the AACS copy-protection system, the BDA said, and AACS is also part of the BD spec.

BD also provides scope for hybrid discs, backward compatibility with DVD, the ability to operate in slimline drives for notebook PCs and a high degree of interactivity, all features MS and Intel claimed were only available with HD DVD, the PC vendors said.

"Dell has no doubt that BD best meets the needs of computer users and provides the type of open industry standards needed to drive innovation and growth of the format across all platforms - consumer electronic, personal computers and gaming consoles," the company's CTO, Kevin Kettler said.

"From a PC end-user perspective, Blu-ray is a superior format. It offers 67-150 per cent more storage capacity, higher transfer rates, slimline notebook compatibility, broadband connectivity and a proven interactive layer with BD-Java," added Maureen Weber, general manager of HP's Personal Storage Business.

Last edited by a moderator:
"the two companies conveniently ignored the fact they were talking about dual-layer HD DVD discs and single-layer BDs."

The article didn't ignore that at all. It explicitly discussed teh fact that 2Layer BD discs were still not ready for mass production. Why didn't Dell & HP respond to that much more important point?? Instead deflecting the issue...."When will 2layer BD discs be ready??" That's the question BRA should be respnsing too...

"Dell and HP also challenged MS and Intel on their claim that HD DVD is the only format to allow users to make controlled copies of the content stored on the disc: that's part of the AACS copy-protection system, the BDA said, and AACS is also part of the BD spec."

The didn't make that claim. They said BD had once been commited but is now dragging it's feet, again they didn't respond to the problem, why the Spec are NOT finalized...merely deflect the issue with saying "well it's in the specs..." even though specs are not finalized after all this time (dragging their feet)

"BD also provides scope for hybrid discs"

The article never claimed BD didn't provide "scope" for hybrid discs, whatever "scope" is supposed to mean. The article claimed the hybrid was still not ready for mass-production, which Dell again, didn't address that issue head on. "WHy are hyrbid discs still not ready for mass production?? What's the problem?"

Mortal Kombat!!!!

Doo dooODoood DODoododoDoo

I love how two giants are firing back at each other like that. This is so fricken cool.

Uhm i didn't really post the article so that we could start a quote-athon which will inevitably turn into a flame-athon over the technical abilities of either format, which has been discussed to death and i'm so bored of it it's not even funny.

I posted it to show that Dell and HP don't agree with MS, and don't seem to be "submitting themselves" to MS power and suddenly switch sides, like some people here were saying.

scooby_dooby said:
"the two companies conveniently ignored the fact they were talking about dual-layer HD DVD discs and single-layer BDs."

The article didn't ignore that at all. It explicitly discussed teh fact that 2Layer BD discs were still not ready for mass production. Why didn't Dell & HP respond to that much more important point?? Instead deflecting the issue...."When will 2layer BD discs be ready??" That's the question BRA should be respnsing too...

"Dell and HP also challenged MS and Intel on their claim that HD DVD is the only format to allow users to make controlled copies of the content stored on the disc: that's part of the AACS copy-protection system, the BDA said, and AACS is also part of the BD spec."

The didn't make that claim. They said BD had once been commited but is now dragging it's feet, again they didn't respond to the problem, why the Spec are NOT finalized...merely deflect the issue with saying "well it's in the specs..." even though specs are not finalized after all this time (dragging their feet)

The article never claimed BD didn't provide "scope" for hybrid discs, whatever "scope" is supposed to mean. The article claimed the hybrid was still not ready for mass-production, which Dell again, didn't address that issue head on. "WHy are hyrbid discs still not ready for mass production?? What's the problem?"

All the things your saying that the "article didn't say" is more or less EXACTLY what they didn't say. They listed all the things HD-DVD can do and made it appear as though Blu-Ray was at a disadvantage because of this (when it really wasn't). Also, can Dual-Layer HD-DVD be released right now?

MEh it looks like PR rubbish to me.

IMO, there were a number of good points in the MS/Intel article, instead of refuting these claims head on, they just put words in Wintel's mouth, and then dance around the issue.

For example, a true rebuttal would say, DL discs are doable and will be out at XXXX date, hybrid discs are a reality and will be ready for mass-production at XXXX date, it's true our standards are still unfinished yet they wil be done with XXXX months...etc etc
Instead of refuting the actual claims they just play PR games, so to me that says they're hiding some problems and wintel hit the nail on the head.

scooby_dooby said:
For example, a true rebuttal would say, DL discs are doable and will be out at XXXX date, hybrid discs are a reality and will be ready for mass-production at XXXX date, it's true our standards are still unfinished yet they wil be done with XXXX months...etc etc
Instead of refuting the actual claims they just play PR games, so to me that says they're hiding some problems and wintel hit the nail on the head.

Has HD-DVD specified any exact dates? If not then how is this PR and Wintel's announcement not the same?

scooby_dooby said:
MEh it looks like PR rubbish to me.

IMO, there were a number of good points in the MS/Intel article, instead of refuting these claims head on, they just put words in Wintel's mouth, and then dance around the issue.

Your responses are really special at times.

HD-DVD Delayed USA

Looks like Tochiba will delay HD-DVD in the USA.....

From Japan today...

Toshiba puts off launch of HD DVD players in U.S.

Thursday, September 29, 2005 at 07:33 JST
TOKYO — Toshiba Corp will put off its launch of next-generation DVD players on the U.S. market until at least February, from the initially targeted introduction this year, an executive said Wednesday.

Yoshihide Fujii, Toshiba's corporate senior vice president, said it had to change the plan because U.S. film studios' supply of their movies in its HD DVD format was expected to be delayed.

RavenFox said:
Your responses are really special at times.
I thought the lack of direct contradiction was pretty transparent.

Anyway, MS has already made something of a response to this. It more or less says exactly what I would say: they didn't disprove MS but tried very hard to make it sound like they did.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20050929-5366.html

I don't really get why MS and Intel got involved, but I REALLY don't get why HP and Dell are so involved. All they do is package materials and install software. Big freakin' whoop. Why are they so fanatic about Blu-Ray?

scooby_dooby said:

Not taking one side or another--but this is FUNNY. HP/DELL are misrepresenting MS/Intel.

Now MS/Intel may be misrepresenting the issue with their own spin to begin with (I will leave that to others to debate), but clearly the HP/DELL article was written by someone with selective reading skills. hahahaha Two words for everyone:

FORMAT WAR!

At this point it does not matter who is right. They obviously do NOT care enough to even honestly talk back and forth. Get back to the table and RESOLVE THIS boys. Make the big players happy so the small players can be happy.

If not I am gonna wait for the 1.3TB HVD (with 1Gb/s transfer; i.e. 125MB/s) ;)

Inane_Dork said:
I don't really get why MS and Intel got involved, but I REALLY don't get why HP and Dell are so involved. All they do is package materials and install software. Big freakin' whoop. Why are they so fanatic about Blu-Ray?
Because Blu-ray was created from the ground up as recordable storage media while HD-DVD was developed mainly for distribution ROM just like the original DVD. Blu-ray has BD-RE in the market now while HD-DVD has nothing like that.

Oh god i've created (another) monster...
flaming.gif

london-boy said:
Oh god i've created (another) monster...
flaming.gif
Oh come on man, you posted a thread on the THIRD most devicive topic on this board.

1. PS3/Xbox 360
  2. Less filling/better tasting
  3. HDDVD/BR
  4. Boxers/briefs
  5. Me/You
I mean, what did you expect? :LOL:

scooby_dooby said:
I thought this part was pretty interesting:

Blu-ray hit back today, saying that Blu-ray would be 50GB at launch, although no launch date was mentioned. This would give Blu-ray a 20GB lead over HD DVD's 30GB capcity. However, Richard E. Doherty, program manager in Microsoft's media entertainment technology convergence group, cast a shadow over just when the launch would be.

"HD DVD is proven to deliver 30GB capacity today, with the potential to deliver even greater capacity. The 50GB claim for BD-ROM discs is unproven and will not be available for many years to come, based on discussions with major Japanese and US replicators. Replicators not only do not have test lines running, they cannot even pre-order the equipment to begin evaluating this disc. They cannot judge the cost of these discs, or even whether they can be manufactured at all. Major replicators can mass manufacture 30GB HD DVD discs today and it’s well understood that these discs will cost significantly less to manufacture than the lower-capacity 25GB BD discs."
Since I'm no expert on the subject, I can't say anything in regards to how likely this assesment sounds, but it does seem to describe some of MS's reasoning.

"From a PC end-user perspective, Blu-ray is a superior format. It offers 67-150 per cent more storage capacity, higher transfer rates, slimline notebook compatibility, broadband connectivity and a proven interactive layer with BD-Java," added Maureen Weber, general manager of HP's Personal Storage Business."
I don't think I've heard what the HD-DVD transfer rate is. Can someone help me out here?

-aldo

Wow. What great timing. It's obvious that the BR Group Rebuttal Taskforce was called out to give this half-assed strawman-laden retort. Where should I start?
"Microsoft and Intel's announcement erroneously indicates that HD-DVD has an advantage in a number of areas," they claimed, pointing to the chip and software giants' statement that HD DVD offers a greater storage capacity than BD.

As The Register noted at the time, Intel and MS' claim that HD DVD's 30GB capacity is better than BD's 25GB is nonsense: the two companies conveniently ignored the fact they were talking about dual-layer HD DVD discs and single-layer BDs.
Strawman #1. Wintel's argument was based on the viability (or the lack thereof) of dual layered BRD. Outside of the lab, there's no viable dual layered BRD, while there are actual dual layered HD-DVD's ready to be released in the wild. That was there argument. The BR group is definately led by Sony. They have a penchant for comparing vaporware to actual working hardware (okay, that was a low blow...withdrawn). Wintel was comparing viable product with viable product. If we're going to start arguing what should be the next gen format based on theoreticals, then someone forgot to give the Holographic Disc Group an invitation. Shit, they're format kills them both...theoretically. But isn't this about the viability of a format? I sure thought it was.
Dell and HP also challenged MS and Intel on their claim that HD DVD is the only format to allow users to make controlled copies of the content stored on the disc: that's part of the AACS copy-protection system, the BDA said, and AACS is also part of the BD spec.
Strawman #2. Oh, so that's what the Ethernet port in the back of BD-Players is for, so you can get MPAA approval before you copy a movie to your HDD. What if I actually value my privacy? What if I don't want you to be privy to what the hell I do with what I pay for? Then I can't copy a movie? Try again.
BD also provides scope for hybrid discs...
Can they demo one outside the clean room? Anyone got any info on this?
"From a PC end-user perspective, Blu-ray is a superior format. It offers 67-150 per cent more storage capacity, higher transfer rates, slimline notebook compatibility, broadband connectivity and a proven interactive layer with BD-Java," added Maureen Weber, general manager of HP's Personal Storage Business.
Typical political bunk. I'd trust neutral Wintel over BR Group PR monkies. Again, the "more storage capacity" line means jack squat unless they can produce a model that works in the wild. I was waiting to hear from an undecided company (or companies) that chose Blu-Ray, but this is all we got. Obviously biased PR babble. I just want it straight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jvd
Alpha_Spartan said:
I'd trust neutral Wintel over BR Group PR monkies

Unfortunatley, theres no such thing as neutrality in this case. Every company that harks on either BD or HD-DVD has some stakes in the Media itself. I'll let someone else make a rebutal to everything else you said.

Back