Deferred Releases (2009 Holiday)

Yep, one of the weakest holiday seasons I can recall. For me personally 2007 holiday was the strongest lineup of this gen. 2008 wasn't as packed, and 2009 has slipped further.

I dont know what the console makers are thinking not having first party triple AAA FPS out there either. MS comes with ODST, a bit of a rehash, and Sony has only Uncharted 2, if you call that a shooter, with MAG now delayed. Of course, there'll be a juggernaut in MW2 for FPS fans, personally I'm not a fan of the series (but I may buy it anyway because the lineup is so lite).

Spring 2010 is going to be crazy, though. Spring 09 was no slouch itself.

Left 4 Dead 2
Modern Warfare 2
Uncharted 2
Ratched and Clank
Assassin's Creed 2
Brutal Legend

That really isn't weak - I'm completely stoked! Rangers...why would you compete with Modern Warfare 2 with a AAA shooter? Why not produce something incredible and fill a gap, like Uncharted?

Yeah I too have been surprised and a little disappointed at the titles that have shifted from Q4 09 to Q1/Q2 2010. My delayed must have list includes:

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - March 2010
Gran Turismo 5 - March 2010?
Aliens: Colonial Marines - Q1 - Q2 2010
Red Dead: Redemption - March 2010

There's already too many games I want for this holiday season for me to worry about anything that gets delayed. Then again I have the good (bad) luck to not have tons of time available to devote to gaming. :p So 4-6 games will see me through the entire holiday season and then some.

Regards,
SB

No mention of Borderlands which quite defiantly stayed inside MW2's little cage? The latest screenshots are a real disappointment but I crave some coop.

No mention of Borderlands which quite defiantly stayed inside MW2's little cage? The latest screenshots are a real disappointment but I crave some coop.

Yep, forgot about that one. Co-op is a huge selling point for me, so Borderlands is on my watch list. It also depends on whether anyone else I know plans to pick it up. I'm not that interested in playing with complete strangers, or in single-player.

Agreed... Maybe it was just internet fluff but a Q4 09 release seemed to be on the cards at one stage.

I think people confused what Polyphony said. They stated they could release the game anytime but they are spending time polishing it.

I am looking forward to Uncharted 2, Ratchet & Clank Future 2, and Brutal Legend. Everything else got bumped to next year.

Now Starcraft 2 and Singularity have been delayed to 2010, to no great surprise. Well, maybe Singularity, but at least now there aren't 2 Raven games with similar premises competing against each other.

I am beginning to wonder if we are in the midst of the golden age of gaming. I don't recall any generation where the production was this high. Uncharted, MGS4, GTA4, COD4&5, Gears I&II, Halo3, KZ2, Fable2, RE5 and L4D being already released with dozen of quality mid tier franchises like Saints Row I&II, Fallout3 and Dead Rising. Furthermore, with GT5, GOW3, FFXIII, SC5, AC2 and Forza3 on the immediate horizons along with upcoming hopefuls like Alan Wake and Heavy Reign. Nevermind, the titles like Gears3, KZ2 and maybe a Halo4, which will round out the end of this gen. And all this from the second and third place consoles.

Im in utter amazement.

Uncharted, MGS4, GTA4, COD4&5, Gears I&II, Halo3, KZ2, Fable2, RE5 and L4D being already released....

Mass Effect, Bioshock, LBP, Oblivion, HL2, Portal (Or just Orange Box), 2 great rhythm action games in Rock Band 2 and Guitar Hero WT, Fight Night 3/4, Ghost Recon Warfighter 1/2, Grid, PGR4, SF4, Batman, etc.

I pretty much agree with you. Been gaming for 25+ years and I don't ever recall a time with such a breadth of quality titles to choose from. I also don't recall a time where I've bought quite so many games in a 2-3 year period :(

On top of those titles mentioned, there are also a few very decent PSN titles out there, and more than a few on XBLA.

Back