Dead Space Is Available For FREE Until May 8th

Agreed, the original was fantastic. Enjoyed watching the animated movies to bridge the titles as well.

Agreed, the original was fantastic. Enjoyed watching the animated movies to bridge the titles as well.
Alas,I haven't tried the original, but since I've got an Origin account with two games, then I could now...

swaaye, I just purchased the 2nd iteration on the X360 and never liked it, it couldn't even complete the game. It's not that I was suffering but it wanst just fun for me.

Dead Space is sort of a super actiony, modern System Shock 2. With a "where to go next" button.

The sequels "evolve" the formula but I didn't really like where it went. I think it mostly just got tired.

Downloaded, graphics are a bit retro but still decent looking and definitely playable. What struck me most though is how much this games trying to copy the Doom 3 style atmosphere. Don't get me wrong, it's a fun game and even with all the current gen options at my disposal I can feel the pull of it drawing me back! But it does highlight to me how awesome and ridiculously underrated Doom 3 was. The horror/tension atmosphere was quite a bit better and in many respects even the graphics were a fair bit better (although in others they were a fair bit worse).

although some of the shocks in doom3 were done cheaply aka monster closets
also monster appears in front of you, kill it immediately do a 180 and start firing because 9 times out of ten another monster will teleport behind you - that got old fast

ps: you could accuse doom3 of thrying to copy the atmosphere of avp (the original)

i liked it, but it suffered from a problem for me anyway, that is that it had character building aspects to it. system shock and deus ex were the same way, so rather than trying to beat the game i always take forever trying to build the best character restarting occasionally, but never actually completing the game.

ive had the second one installed incidentally for a couple years, ya know for when i beat the first one.

someday.

True, I only ever played the demo of that game but the atmosphere was awesome.
They did nail the visuals and audio in Doom3 but that's about it. It's like a 20 hour haunted house walk-thru with just as much choice as one of those too. It really plays just like the older Dooms, but without the encounters with large baddie groups.

Dead Space is pretty similar but the space ship in the first game was fun to explore. More thick atmosphere. Though the gothic design of the space ship is ridiculous of course. ;) The later games have futuristic ships with interiors that remind me of the abandoned Chernobyl exclusion zone of STALKER! Lolol

Dead Space is pretty similar but the space ship in the first game was fun to explore.

I don't think there is a better horror setting than an abandonded/adrift space ship tbh. Although the concerpt has been done lots of times before in film. Event Horizon springs to mind.

That said, abandoned space station comes a very close second. Personally I don't mind that Doom 3 was extremely linear. In fact in that kind of game I much prefer a linear experience. Hands down the scariest game I've ever played.

I think the FEAR sequels are alright. FEAR 2 is a good time. The 3rd game is weakest but has a coop mode and that is interesting. Only the first game is scary though IMO cuz the scare techniques simply get old.

The last Dead Space is probably one of the best sci-fi monster-evil third person games i've ever seen in my whole life. It's like Doom, but in third-person perspective. The last chapter is definitely the best in this series.

Back