Dead Rising demo today?

Wow.. that's just crazy.

I'd never buy a game that after playing the demo left me feeling in any way failed or disappointed.

You either have a great deal more disposable income than I do, or you expect greatness from things and settle for mediocrity on a constant basis.

Perhaps both?

It just surprises me to read a review of a demo that says the game fails to impress you, yet you're going to go buy it the day it comes out.

I only buy games that I've either 1) played and thought were awesome or 2) hadn't played before and cross my fingers or 3) are forced too because a new season has started

The man is only complaining about lighting and a slight framerate hitch with one weapon.

Why not rent it instead?

That would be my question. Anything that fails, disappoints, or doesn't live up to expectations certainly wouldn't result in a purchase, IMO.

Especially not when the issue is going to exist throughout the entire game such as poor lighting.

Guys, I've had this game on pre-order for months and been hyping it to everyone I know. I never said it didn't "impress" me; in fact, my last words were "it impressed me enough." I don't know how that could be misconstrued into it didn't impress me.

I do like it a lot; I just wish they'd gone the extra mile and done a few things differently. Haven't you ever been disappointed in a few things with a game but, on the whole, still enjoyed it? Same concept (can't believe I'm actually having to explain this, but there it is.)

If the hitch with the sledgehammer is intentional, it's one of the worst videogame ideas I've ever seen. Why do that? Why not make it a smooth swing--one fluid animation instead of a pause right in the middle of it? It takes the sense of impact away.

Anyway, for months Dead Rising and Lost Planet have been on my mind the most, videogame-wise, and I was hoping Dead Rising's demo would impress me as much as Lost Planet's did. Well, it didn't, but I still liked it enough that I'll be picking it up tomorrow.

And why not rent it? Because you'll lay down anywhere from 7-10$ on a rental. By the time I buy the game and then sell it on ebay if I don't like it I won't come out much different. I could get 40-45 bucks out of it, whereas if I rented it, liked it, decided to purchase it I'm spending extra money I otherwise wouldn't if I just bought it and liked it.

Hence, the reason I play demos before I buy anything. If I like the demo enough, chances are I'll like the final product enough to lay down the cash on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anything that fails, disappoints, or doesn't live up to expectations certainly wouldn't result in a purchase, IMO.
If this were the case with everyone, only a handful of games in the history of games would ever get purchased.

If this were the case with everyone, only a handful of games in the history of games would ever get purchased.

indeed

I sometimes buy a game rather than rent it just because I think the dev deserves to get paid. If i enjoy it enough to play it for a month or so I just buy it and trade it in used for 50% of what I paid. it's worth it to me and keeps the industry viable IMO.

This is one of those games that's worth it... IMO

Not every game can be a 9.5 rating. 8.3, 8, 8.4, 8.7 are the reviews so far with most points being deducted for a less than optimal save system and lack of multiplayer. It speaks well of the actual gameplay itself and the hundreds of little nuances that the game offers.

And that's exactly what happens... for me.

I've never met anybody who tried a game, felt it fell short of their expectations, and then proceeded to purchase it anyway.

Sure.. occasionally you'll purchase a game without trying it, or without extreme expectations. Or.. you try out a game that seems initially pleasurable but as the game progresses, it becomes boring or repetitive or demonstrates flaws. But those are things that become clear, post-purchase.

If the hitch with the sledgehammer is intentional, it's one of the worst videogame ideas I've ever seen. Why do that? Why not make it a smooth swing--one fluid animation instead of a pause right in the middle of it? It takes the sense of impact away.

It doesnt seem intentional. It only happens when your strike 2 or more enemies in one hit, which tells me its aperformance problem.

And that's exactly what happens... for me.

I've never met anybody who tried a game, felt it fell short of their expectations, and then proceeded to purchase it anyway.

You must live in a very small world or have acquaintances who are immune to all the hype that is out there surrounding new games.

We're also in a new era now where demos play a factor. In a rather dry spell for the 360, if I come across a game like Dead Rising which, admittedly didn't live up to some of my expectations but would still be a fun game to play, then I am likely to buy it.

I don't see what's so irrational about that, but I guess people see things differently.

You must live in a very small world or have acquaintances who are immune to all the hype that is out there surrounding new games.

We're also in a new era now where demos play a factor. In a rather dry spell for the 360, if I come across a game like Dead Rising which, admittedly didn't live up to some of my expectations but would still be a fun game to play, then I am likely to buy it.

I don't see what's so irrational about that, but I guess people see things differently.
I tend to view the demos on Xbox Live to be something of a taste. This is quite different from the PC arena, where demos tend to be 1 or 2 levels from the actual game, so you know exactly what the full game will be like.

It doesnt seem intentional. It only happens when your strike 2 or more enemies in one hit, which tells me its aperformance problem.
Huh. I'll have to pay close attention to it, as my recollection is that the jitter only occurs when the hammer hits either a zombie or the ground.

Dead Rising looks fun as hell... I wanna try it. >_> But I don't own and can't afford a 360... and the closest 360 owner I know is like an hour away.

Dammit.

Oh well.

I tend to view the demos on Xbox Live to be something of a taste. This is quite different from the PC arena, where demos tend to be 1 or 2 levels from the actual game, so you know exactly what the full game will be like.

You must be playing different demos than I am. All of the ones I have tried are all straight from the games.

You must be playing different demos than I am. All of the ones I have tried are all straight from the games.
Looking at the list here, I see several:

http://www.xbox.com/en-us/live/marketplace/demos.htm

Dead Rising (not a full level)
Condemned (not from the released game)
Kameo (I believe)

And then the 3 from E3:
Lost Planet
MotoGP
Test Drive Unlimited

The bottom line is that most of the demos I've seen have come out before the release of the game. This means that in some cases, the game won't be exactly like the released version.

(Also, I seem to recall that the Hitman demo was not like the final version as wel.)

It pauses for a moment for each thing you hit, but it is more obvious when you hit two or more objects.

I was watching a video demo of the different weapons...and the player did something which I thought was cool. He used a shotgun and fired at the zombie's head; and at the same time, he switched over to his camera and take a picture of the zombie's head exploding. Maybe the pause is intentional for that purpose. To take picture of the money shot.

I was watching a video demo of the different weapons...and the player did something which I thought was cool. He used a shotgun and fired at the zombie's head; and at the same time, he switched over to his camera and take a picture of the zombie's head exploding. Maybe the pause is intentional for that purpose. To take picture of the money shot.

that's awesome

you get huge points for pictures of gore. :smile:

oh and also huge points for pics of the chicks in revealing outfits... seriously.

For what it's worth this game is sold out across Edmonton, at least all of the EB games are out, man I didn't expect it to be that popular.

Back