Days Gone [PC Edition]

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Shortbread, Apr 15, 2021.

1. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

While the UE5 demo runs nicely on a 2080q nvme equipped system, its still just a tech demo, no different to other tech demos released over the years being very impressive but that are no actual games.

2. Miniature Kaiju

Newcomer

To be fair, team working on DG wasn't much bigger than the one on Control (but it did dev for longer). Bend was tiny 'til not long ago.

3. techuse

Regular Newcomer

Small studio who hadn't developed a non mobile game in over a decade. What they were able to accomplish, especially considering they had to start with UE4, is impressive.

4. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

looks pretty good. I have a few games I'm working on right now (including skyrim again for some reason) but i will put this in my list. may get to it during the summer. I hope it has less issues than horizon did (which is in front of this on my list due to hopefully a good sale)

5. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran

According to the David Jaffe interview with John Garvin, the studio grew in size exponentially during the production of Days Gone. According to him, that was the main reason for Sony Studios firing John Garvin, as he wasn't able to adapt as Artistic Director from a team of dozens to a team of hundreds.

It goes in hand with the reports of Sony inflating their 1st party studios to be able to produce AAA and/or allow multiple games being developed in parallel at a given time.

6. Miniature Kaiju

Newcomer

It did double in size, yes. Control team was around 80-100-ish devs, IIRC. Bend went from some 50-60 to 130. They're even bigger now, I hear, since they moved.

7. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran

I don't know how good your sources are, but I think I recall John Garvin saying Bend was "about a couple hundred" by the time the game shipped in late April 2019.

8. Miniature Kaiju

Newcomer

Definitely not hundreds. Not internal - maybe if you're accounting for outsourcing (and DG did have a lot of that, so maybe that's what Garvin was alluding to).

ToTTenTranz likes this.
  9. techuse

Regular Newcomer

I guess it depends a lot on how much of the development was with a given number of employees. Comparing this to behemoths like Ubisoft who have thousands and thousands of people working on each game and deliver worse results my opinion remains.