Days Gone [PC Edition]

I wonder if he thinks the UE5 demo has last gen lighting just because it doesn't use RT.

While the UE5 demo runs nicely on a 2080q nvme equipped system, its still just a tech demo, no different to other tech demos released over the years being very impressive but that are no actual games.

They have completely different settings. Days Gone uses an enhanced Unreal Engine 4 that was apparently optimized for outdoor landscapes (tone mapping on Days Gone is excellent), whereas Control is only indoors and set inside a particularly monotone gray building.
I think Control is monotonous by design, using an in-house engine by a comparatively small team. It doesn't seem like RT is particularly doing any miracles to Control though, that much is true IMO.
A lot of what's great in Days Gone are hand-tuned textures and shadowmaps, something which Remedy has less access to.
To be fair, team working on DG wasn't much bigger than the one on Control (but it did dev for longer). Bend was tiny 'til not long ago.

looks pretty good. I have a few games I'm working on right now (including skyrim again for some reason) but i will put this in my list. may get to it during the summer. I hope it has less issues than horizon did (which is in front of this on my list due to hopefully a good sale)

To be fair, team working on DG wasn't much bigger than the one on Control (but it did dev for longer). Bend was tiny 'til not long ago.
Small studio who hadn't developed a non mobile game in over a decade. What they were able to accomplish, especially considering they had to start with UE4, is impressive.

According to the David Jaffe interview with John Garvin, the studio grew in size exponentially during the production of Days Gone. According to him, that was the main reason for Sony Studios firing John Garvin, as he wasn't able to adapt as Artistic Director from a team of dozens to a team of hundreds.

It goes in hand with the reports of Sony inflating their 1st party studios to be able to produce AAA and/or allow multiple games being developed in parallel at a given time.

According to the David Jaffe interview with John Garvin, the studio grew in size exponentially during the production of Days Gone. According to him, that was the main reason for Sony Studios firing John Garvin, as he wasn't able to adapt as Artistic Director from a team of dozens to a team of hundreds.

It goes in hand with the reports of Sony inflating their 1st party studios to be able to produce AAA and/or allow multiple games being developed in parallel at a given time.

It did double in size, yes. Control team was around 80-100-ish devs, IIRC. Bend went from some 50-60 to 130. They're even bigger now, I hear, since they moved.

It did double in size, yes. Control team was around 80-100-ish devs, IIRC. Bend went from some 50-60 to 130. They're even bigger now, I hear, since they moved.
I don't know how good your sources are, but I think I recall John Garvin saying Bend was "about a couple hundred" by the time the game shipped in late April 2019.

I guess it depends a lot on how much of the development was with a given number of employees. Comparing this to behemoths like Ubisoft who have thousands and thousands of people working on each game and deliver worse results my opinion remains.

The try-before-you-buy version didn't come with the CSR program thingy. The "Days Gone\Engine\Binaries\ThirdParty\CRS\crs-uploader.exe" doesn't exist in the copy on the sites we shouldn't go to.

My guess is they didn't really knew what this solution was doing in the details....

I finished the game on ps4, I was looking at it on PC for the cheats, just to have fun in this open world. I'll wait then :eek:
There's a great trainer for PC, search for "Fling's Trainers". :)

I'll probably pick this up eventually just to reward the Sony developers for making a pretty good PC port unlike the previous 2 Sony Published exclusives.

Probably won't play it much if at all, but I do like to reward developers when they give their PC ports justice.

Regards,
SB

I finished the game on ps4, I was looking at it on PC for the cheats, just to have fun in this open world. I'll wait then :eek:
What is with zombie games and devs wanting to lock-down the single player experience? Dying Light is the same, it's a nightmare to mod on PC. I was hoping to get a classic Romero experience (slower, shambling zombies - more of them) but that's easier said than done. :(

Back