Cursed "mummy" claims sixth life

Deepak

B3D Yoddha
Veteran
http://www.news24.com/News24/World/News/0,,2-10-1462_1828916,00.html

Sydney - A sixth person connected to the discovery of the 5 300 year old frozen corpse of a man who became known as Oetzi the Iceman has died, fuelling claims of a curse surrounding the mummified body.
Molecular archaeologist Tom Loy, 63, was found dead in his Brisbane home two weeks ago as he finalised a book about Oetzi, The Australian newspaper reported on Friday.
The United States-born Loy, director of the University of Queensland's archaeological sciences laboratories, lay dead in his home for several days before his body was discovered.
The scientist had suffered from a blood-related condition for about 12 years, members of his family told the paper. The condition was diagnosed shortly after he became involved with the Iceman.

Worldwide interest
Oetzi was discovered high in the Italian alps near the Austrian border in 1991, and reports and pictures of the perfectly preserved Stone Age warrior, sparked worldwide interest.

Other deaths associated with the Iceman include:
- Helmut Simon, 67, the German tourist who found him, fell to his death a year ago while hiking in the same area.
- Archaeologist Konrad Spindler, 55, who first inspected the corpse, died in April of complications from multiple sclerosis.
- The head of the forensic team examining Oetzi, Rainer Henn, 64, died in a car crash on his way to give a lecture about the Iceman.
- The mountaineer who led Henn to the body, Kurt Fritz, 52, died in an avalanche.
- The journalist who filmed the removal of the body from its icy grave, Rainer Hoelzl, 47, died of a brain tumour.

The curse theory was built around the supposition that the Iceman was angry at having been disturbed after 53 centuries. Loy "didn't believe in the curse," a colleague told The Australian. "It was just superstition. People die." Loy's brother Gareth, who flew into Australia to attend a memorial service, told the paper that the autopsy results were inconclusive. "We have been told he died of natural causes or an accident, or a combination of both," he said.

This is scary. Where is this mummy kept?

Meh... Everyone dies... Eventually all people connected to the mummy will die, and all people connected to those people will die... So are we gonna get news reports of how the "curse" is branching out to the family members and friends and the whole city, eventually the whole country!?!?

Italians... :rolleyes:

Big catholic nation, then they're the first to knee-jerk at such stupid superstitious "pagan" crap they shouldn't belive in anyway.

;)

Looking at his age and his health, how can anyone connect this to any kind of curse or such? The idea in itself is totally ridiculous. I guess all those "believers" swallolw stories like this regardless.

I think it is irresponsible for the media to report stuff like that because it may give terrorists to idea of using mummy curses for attacks on freedom and democracy.

L233 said:
I think it is irresponsible for the media to report stuff like that because it may give terrorists to idea of using mummy curses for attacks on freedom and democracy.

Also excuses for war. ;)

How many mummies are there left? Would there be enough to use them as Mummies of Mass Destruction? I don't think so.

rabidrabbit said:
How many mummies are there left? Would there be enough to use them as Mummies of Mass Destruction? I don't think so.
They could always make some mummies. Maybe an expert on mummy curses could chime in and tell us how long it takes for a mummy to develope the curse trait?

I think the curse trait is very common among mummies and the AD&D Monstrous Compendium clearly supports me on this one.

rabidrabbit said:
We must still locate and capture/seize ALL mummies, lest they be used by Al Quaeda to threaten our freedom and democracy with more curses that causes death and suffering.

If someone excavated my corpse and decided to call me Oetzi I'd curse some people too! Of course, I'd try to do it stylishly, employing various gruesome methods in a trilogy in seven parts.

Back