Current Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who ever said the Xsx SOC was 380mm2, he was right.

Congrats, @MrFox

gHu1WbMe_400x400.jpg
Congrats Mr.Fox

If real, I'd expect 2nd gen games built from the ground up to be at a base 2080ti level.

The GPU probably is ballpark 2080 level performance, it won't get any faster, but games can be optimised. If it will equal a 2080Ti in the end remains to be seen. It all depends on how optimisation will be, on both xbox and pc. MS seems to optimise on pc also (and bring the SSD speed to pc).

The GPU probably is ballpark 2080 level performance, it won't get any faster, but games can be optimised. If it will equal a 2080Ti in the end remains to be seen. It all depends on how optimisation will be, on both xbox and pc. MS seems to optimise on pc also (and bring the SSD speed to pc).

I'm purely putting it down to optimizations across the board and developers maturing their skillset. It'll be exciting to see how Gen 2 games evolve over launch.

https://www.windowscentral.com/earl...-rtx-2080-quality-taps-25-teraflops-while-ray

Was this posted anywhere here? They where spot on atleast :p WindowsCentral seems a very good source, not it matters anymore since we got everything one can dream of about the XSX, even taking it apart and all.
RTX2080 in a console, very impressive. Games aren't optimized for for these new GPU's so we should see even more performance when mesh shaders etc are being extensively optimised for in future games.

I'm purely putting it down to optimizations across the board and developers maturing their skillset. It'll be exciting to see how Gen 2 games evolve over launch.

Yes true. Basically all games so far have been optimised for the 2013 base consoles, RDNA/2 and Turing archs are so much more advanced then that. Mesh shaders could give so much in next gen games.

3700X/RTX2080, 10GB for graphics and 6gb system ram. In all essence, very doable imo. It is a, in raw performance atleast, a 2018 mid to high tier gaming pc, feature wise, the RTX gpu's already had the ray tracing, mesh shaders etc in place.
Compared to last time, it is the CPU that makes the biggest difference, what @Dictator said before (on resetera?).
The CPU being limited to 3.6 with SMT, then, whereas 3700x isn't with SMT enabled? Also boosts to 4.4ghz.

Their SSD direct tech coming to pc is also good news, probably was the only way to not limit or hold back cross plat games.

You'll need a PC with 2080TI to beat Xsx across the board graphics wise.

In raw performance, a 2080 seems a match. Games aren't really optimized for RTX arch either. A 2080Ti is rather far away from a 2080 in performance, like 15 to 20%? 10 to 11 Turing seems to match 12.1 RDNA2.

For writes, not reads. Show me a "common cheap SSD" with a SLC read cache.

http://industrial.adata.com/en/technology/74

SLC cache is the primary method adopted in speeding up read/write of TLC SSD.

What's the logic in having tiered storage with faster SLC but then you can only use it for writes? Your claims don't make much sense to me.

Why is USB C important?

Twice the number of the connectors means you can have dual-lane transfer speeds.
USB-C is required for USB 3.2 Gen 2×2 (20Gbps). They could also plan for forward compatibility to USB4 which is 40Gbps (5GB/s), meaning they could use a USB-C drive that is faster than their current internal solution.

Not to mention you need USB-C for displayport alternate mode and VirtuaLink. Microsoft adopting USB-A means they'll need a breakout box if they ever want to support VR headsets.
There's also support for a higher voltages for USB-PD, meaning it could give juice to higher power peripherals like e.g. racing wheels with force feedback.

But does Navi 10 Lite? :cool:
Navi 10 Lite AFAIK was GFX1000, so I guess no, since it's probably a subset of what was eventually used as Navi 10's ISA.
Navi 10 Lite is probably just a bunch of Navi 10 engineering samples used in old devkits.

The CPU being limited to 3.6 with SMT, then, whereas 3700x isn't with SMT enabled? Also boosts to 4.4ghz.

3700X is 3.6GHz base. Does it do 4.4GHz all core on boost? Either way, the point about boost is that it’s not guaranteed. They’re essentially using a 65W desktop CPU. Probably saving a bit of power with less L3, though.

3700X is 3.6GHz base. Does it do 4.4GHz all core on boost? Either way, the point about boost is that it’s not guaranteed. They’re essentially using a 65W desktop CPU. Probably saving a bit of power with less L3, though.
I'm really impressed by the 3.6GHz on the SoC though. AMD officially released the Renoir H series today, and even the top-end 45W 4900H is "only" 3.3GHz base, and that only has 8MB L3.

Not sure but, i think the 3700x boosts to 3.8ghz on all of it's cores, single core to 4.4, higher or lower depending on temp/workload? That's how my 3900x works atleast, range between 3800 bclk to 4600 boost, 12c/16t cpu.

We don't know this.

As DF mentions, a game optimized for current gen runs the same on XSX as on a 2080 pc. Goes both ways i assume then, as that same game aint optimized for newer archs either. When mesh shaders etc or whatever more advanced features become more used, both would see improvements.

top-end 45W 4900H

It's a mobile/laptop cpu :p

I just saw the specs now and I am very astonished how high MS aimed with the clocks. How much will this cost?
This is probably the highest we could expect for a console and MS is very confident they have hit the best performance for this generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back