Current Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Proelite, Mar 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. t0mb3rt

Newcomer

From what I understand, SFS shouldn't offer any VRAM bandwidth savings beyond regular Sampler Feedback. Instead, SFS provides bandwidth savings to the SSD in addition to the VRAM bandwidth savings afforded by Sampler Feedback. So I don't think it is any more efficient than Sampler Feedback on PC... just that it adds additional functionality in the form of IO throughput efficiency.

PSman1700 likes this.
  2. Kugai Calo

Regular Newcomer

Maybe something like: Keep L2 L1 L0 etc. unchanged, but instead of having L2 talking to memory subsystem, it talks to the 128MB L3 instead, and each line in the L3 is 4KB which matches page size instead of 64 bytes or 128 bytes.

thicc_gaf likes this.
  3. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

SFS does couple more things as well as transitional filtering.
    That's why wondered if the figure was actually relating to the added benefits which doesn't seem to be the case.
    I personally don't expect particular performance gains compared to DX12U SF, but will be pleasantly surprised if wrong.

4. dobwal

Legend Veteran

The 6800's 256-bit bus is solely dedicated to the GPU. The 320-bit bus of the XSX is not.

thicc_gaf and PSman1700 like this.
  5. function

function None functional
    Legend Veteran

While we didn't know for sure, I doubt this will come as much of a surprise to most of us. MS are big on the commonality with DX12U.

And that Sony senior engineer did confirm a few months back (in what he thought were private emails with a developer) that PS5 was a mix of RDNA1, 2 and some custom Sony requirements. So we already new PS5 wasn't.

6. RagnarokFF

Newcomer

7. Ike Turner

Veteran Regular

Word on the "streets" was that PS5 doesn't support Sample Feedback & VRS or something like that...

8. mpg1

Veteran Newcomer

I'm kinda interested in what specific hardware feature(s) PS5 does not have...my gut tells me it's probably SFS and or VRS given how much Microsoft has been talking about that in marketing...

Johnny Awesome and function like this.
  9. Xbat

Veteran Newcomer

How's this a megaton when Cerny stressed that there GPU part had custom features ?

thicc_gaf and BRiT like this.
  10. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Not a Megatron. We've had general console specs for some time. This is merely further refinements on that. We've also known each has their own set of customizations.

milk, Jay and PSman1700 like this.
  11. mpg1

Veteran Newcomer

I suspect Sony would just continue with their own solution instead of using VRS....but what would they have instead of SFS?

BRiT likes this.
  12. RagnarokFF

Newcomer

SFS was build by Microsoft. SF is a RDNA2 feature.

Jay likes this.
  13. PSman1700

Legend Newcomer

Consoles seem quite far behind dgpus.

14. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

They're half the price, so it should be expected. The lowest end dGPU of RDNA2 is $579. That's $80 more than a console that comes with Case, PSU, CPU, SSD, Optical, and Controller.

Michellstar, rekator, DSoup and 9 others like this.
  15. thicc_gaf

Regular Newcomer

I dunno. Maybe, maybe not. I knew that Sony wouldn't have stuff like SFS exactly because that's MS's nomenclature for that particular technology which would be their own implementation. It's not that Sony may not have their own version of it, but if so they've likely indicated it back in March where it was pertinent.

Thinking on it for a bit tho, one thing that does stand out to me is how deeply ingrained DX12U is into the RDNA2 architecture. It seems to be going a ways beyond than simply AMD making their product and then MS trying to ensure their stuff is as compatible as possible afterwards. No, this is looking like it was a deep operation between them from the get-go. Which, there were already rumors regarding that (tbf, there were also rumors that Sony co-designed Navi along with AMD)...but some of the stuff mentioned today shows it's deeper than even first thought.

Like, it's to a point where I now see whatever customizations Sony's done on their GPU, might've been out of sheer necessity to make sure they had the silicon needed for their API stacks that clearly aren't DX12-based (because they have their own API stuff). Maybe there is a chance in the future AMD spin off an RDNA GPU card that is more compatible with Vulkan, if what they're going to be putting out right now turns out to not be too Vulkan-friendly?

16. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

when die sizes are announced, they will be pretty phat dies I'm sure

PSman1700 likes this.
  17. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

It's not really about the custom features, they both have those.
    It's more so about what isn't included that is part of RDNA2.

Keeping in mind that it's possible that Sony didn't think that feature was worth while in console, so didn't even want it.
    We don't actually know what it/they are yet though.

18. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular Subscriber

A full RDNA2 GPU would mean infinity cache. XSX has no infinity cache, ergo it's not full RDNA2.

senis_kenis and chris1515 like this.
  19. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

indeed. they are based on RDNA 2. But custom means you can add/remove blocks.

In this case, it looks like they either opted to remove infinity cache, or if it's present it's smaller.
    Feature wise, aside from infinity cache, which is more like bandwidth augmentation, it's got all the same features.

20. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

How much smaller can you make infinity and still be considered infinity? :razz:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.