Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2023] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: ran a few more tests and I'm convinced hair is a very narrow workload that isn't filling the gpu. At all resolutions gpu clocks are 100-200Mhz higher with hair enabled which points to fewer SMs being active allowing for clocks to ramp. At higher resolutions some work seems to run in parallel with hair rendering as the net cost of enabling hair is lower ~2.5ms at 1600p compared to ~3.4ms at 720p. So there is some async compute at play.
I wonder if the hair effect will also run on NPCs like ashley or some bosses in the full game? Maybe it literally just has headroom left over for other characters when only leon is on screen.

While the quality of FSR these days is generally 'good enough' that I wouldn't necessarily be that pissed if there's no DLSS option for RE4 from just the quality perspective, what is apparent though is how much less overhead DLSS has on Nvidia hardware.

I tried the RE Engine DLSS/FSR upscale mod with the demo to force DLSS, and while being a mod it's far from perfect (you really have to disable motion blur and camera lens effect to avoid significant specular aliasing), what is apparent is how much more performant it is, while looking slightly better to boot.

With FSR Performance at 4K, most settings on high (max lod, med vol lighting, ssao), I can get 47-54 fps. With DLSS Performance, a locked 60 - with usually plenty of headroom. This provides a substantially better looking game than the PS5 version, even in res mode. Hell, Balanced DLSS performs better than performance FSR. With just FSR, it's a little more marginal as I can't run at 4k and maintain 60. Include DLSS dammit.

Last edited:
Is PS5 and series using fsr? 🤔

I don't know, it's actually oddly inferior to the PC's image quality considering how decent Village looked with its interlaced mode. If it is using FSR it could also be that it's using a custom ratio in between performance/ultra performance, but the hair is reconstructed well enough in motion so I don't think it's that. Ultimately FSR Performance at 4k looks better than the PS5's res mode, and FSR Quality at 1440p looks better than the PS5's frame rate mode.

DLSS is another matter, DLSS injected in performance mode with motion blur/lens effect disabled to reduce specular flickering looks amazing (those options also affect whatever reconstruction the PS5 is using and reduce the flickering complaints I had earlier too, but the image is still much softer than the PC).

The big problem with it injected in RE4 and every other RE Engine game though are those damn flashbulb effects that every game in the series has with with this DLSS mod. With a couple of the minor effects disabled to reduce the chances of artifacts caused by low-res buffers that most people disable anyways, the series looks stunning with DLSS - but those artifacts cannot be negated in any way without using their TAA, which sadly defeats the purpose of the mod. If those problems could be rectified it would be a no-brainer to use this mod, completely fixes Capcom's bad TAA solution. RE4 isn't as bad with those sparkling artifacts as other games but there are still some spots where they pop up.

The Outer Worlds Spacer Edition on PC appears to be using a complex SSGI solution with many samples (similar to the one in Gears 5 and Days Gone?), running this option on Ultra practically delivers half the fps on a 4090 compared to running the game without it.

The big mistery to me it's why just only ps5 has such IQ issue when the reconstruction method is the same on all console. And higher resolution doesn't fix it to my eyes. Something it's completely off to me. It reminds me the infamous SSR on RE2R which was quite worse on ps5 too. Doubt capcom will ever fix it knowing them.

Interesting patch notes for Sackboy:

View attachment 8490

Be interesting to see RT results at Ultra now - they were extremely expensive before, wondering what kind of boost SER will bring.
Damn, I didn't even realize this game got another update. Good on them to see the continued support. I honestly wasn't expecting them to continue to really update or improve this game since it didn't sell too great. Hopefully more people pick it up when it's the right price, because the PC version is really damn good now, and it's a fun little game to play with the family.

Damn, I didn't even realize this game got another update. Good on them to see the continued support. I honestly wasn't expecting them to continue to really update or improve this game since it didn't sell too great. Hopefully more people pick it up when it's the right price, because the PC version is really damn good now, and it's a fun little game to play with the family.
They've released 16 updates. They've been amazing with post-launch support.

1679169362102.png

AMD-Ryzen-9-7950X3D-benchmarks.jpg

Older i9 9900k vs current chip

Amazing how much CPU performance has come along in recent years after the decade long quad core stagnation.

Yep software hasn’t caught up yet though. There’s a 4460 in my living room PC that plays PS4 era games @60fps just fine. That’s a Haswell 4 core with no hyper threading. Granted Jaguar is not exactly a world beating core.

Sounds like it's gonna need another... STAT.

Was confused by this reply but now I get the context, holy moses what an absolute bizarre decision. Why?! This game runs on a potato, why even bother with DLSS3 at all?! I guess reflex is nice sure, but these patches are acting as if this is a tremendously heavy game and this was paramount to avoid performance issues, when it's one of the easiest Sony ports to run well.

Edit: They're aware thankfully.

We are aware of this issue and we are currently working on an update that will allow players to toggle DLSS 3 on/off.

In the meantime, a temporary solution we have found is that disabling VSync and Frame Rate Caps may help to alleviate the issue.

Our sincerest apologies for the performance issues that you are now encountering, we are aiming to have this new update out in the next day or two and hope to have some more information for you soon.

Last edited:
Was confused by this reply but now I get the context, holy moses what an absolute bizarre decision. Why?! This game runs on a potato, why even bother with DLSS3 at all?! I guess reflex is nice sure, but these patches are acting as if this is a tremendously heavy game and this was paramount to avoid performance issues, when it's one of the easiest Sony ports to run well.
Haha as was I. I get it now though. What a weird decision to have it always enabled.

Edit: They responded to my thread on Steam.. patch to fix it should arrive in the next couple of days.

Hello!

We are aware of this issue and we are currently working on an update that will allow players to toggle DLSS 3 on/off.

In the meantime, a temporary solution we have found is that disabling VSync and Frame Rate Caps may help to alleviate the issue.

Our sincerest apologies for the performance issues that you are now encountering, we are aiming to have this new update out in the next day or two and hope to have some more information for you soon.

- Steven

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back