Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2023] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same. Testing Spiderman on my 8GB 5400rpm HDD, when you first boot it up and fly around, there are a handful of stutters - but after the first few mins that's about it. When you teleport to a different part of the city you definitely see textures on some buildings take in longer to show up if you spawn on the roof of a building, but overall performance is a very solid 60. It's completely playable on a 5400rpm HDD.
Yes on PC the loadings are partial. They probably load some low amount then the rest is done on the fly, depending of your CPU and HDD/SSD.

I would like to see a $500 PC (PS5) equivalent configuration included when the Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart game analysis's starts rolling in later next month. Have the recommended PC spec's been released yet?

You'd like to think that... but Spider-Man 2 will be out later this year, and I'm sure it will be impossible on PC!
Spiderman still seems like PS4 tech with RT added on. R&C is actually more impressive than even the Spiderman 2 trailer I'd say.

Yes on PC the loadings are partial. They probably load some low amount then the rest is done on the fly, depending of your CPU and HDD/SSD.

Well yes, that's how a well constructed scaling streaming system is supposed to work. I'm just impressed that it can scale that low.

What would be the point of that?

Yeah, it's obvious those days are over, we know this. Any $500 PC would fare pretty poorly against virtually any other Sony PC port already out now unless you go used.

On a different note, I think 3 years into the generation, we can confidently say that the PS5/Xbox Series gen has been the worst in terms of graphical improvements. A thoroughly disappointing gen in my opinion. Some people might argue that it has to do with diminishing returns but I strongly disagree. Imo, it has to do with the lack of effort outside of unreal engine to re-architect and rewrite different parts of the engine. Usually developers are forced to do this due to new custom hardware but since we continued with x86/x64, they’ve just continued with their mediocre engines. If we assume that the gen will be 6-7 years, we’ve just wasted half of it doing absolutely nothing of note. Even the PC space outside of Cyberpunk has been extremely disappointing and that’s being solely funded by nvidia.

All this new hardware and there’s nothing to really push it. I don’t think I’ve seen a gen where devs have completely misused and wasted resources so liberally. It’s gotten to the point that the creativity that was brought about by a scarcity of resources has been almost completely extinguished. The devs of games like Gotham Knights or Jedi Fallen order or Redfall release absolutely mediocre looking games then go on Twitter and clap for themselves smh. Who would have thought at the start of the gen that the game with the most interesting physics system would be coming from a team making a game on a 2011 mobile chip. I don’t know if it’s just me but, this gen is a complete waste of space. Not many new ips, not much creativity, just remasters and poor reboots. Both on the technology side and the game side, it’s been thoroughly disappointing.

On a different note, I think 3 years into the generation, we can confidently say that the PS5/Xbox Series gen has been the worst in terms of graphical improvements. A thoroughly disappointing gen in my opinion. Some people might argue that it has to do with diminishing returns but I strongly disagree. Imo, it has to do with the lack of effort outside of unreal engine to re-architect and rewrite different parts of the engine. Usually developers are forced to do this due to new custom hardware but since we continued with x86/x64, they’ve just continued with their mediocre engines. If we assume that the gen will be 6-7 years, we’ve just wasted half of it doing absolutely nothing of note. Even the PC space outside of Cyberpunk has been extremely disappointing and that’s being solely funded by nvidia.

All this new hardware and there’s nothing to really push it. I don’t think I’ve seen a gen where devs have completely misused and wasted resources so liberally. It’s gotten to the point that the creativity that was brought about by a scarcity of resources has been almost completely extinguished. The devs of games like Gotham Knights or Jedi Fallen order or Redfall release absolutely mediocre looking games then go on Twitter and clap for themselves smh. Who would have thought at the start of the gen that the game with the most interesting physics system would be coming from a team making a game on a 2011 mobile chip. I don’t know if it’s just me but, this gen is a complete waste of space. Not many new ips, not much creativity, just remasters and poor reboots. Both on the technology side and the game side, it’s been thoroughly disappointing.

Most development teams lost up to a year of quality productivity due to work restrictions arising from the pandemic. The first party teams for the large corporations were probably impacted more than smaller developers affiliated with third party publishers. The bigger the corporation, the more draconian the safety rules. At least, that's how it seemed.
I don't think we can realistically say that developers have had three years of consistent development time with the new hardware or with their own projects.
Advancements will come. Just a little bit later than what is normally expected in a console generation.

What would be the point of that?

Because I'm a PC enthusiast who loves seeing various configurations, other than high-end configurations. Seeing a PC spec'd closer to the PS5 or XBSX during console/PC game comparisons can be more useful on gathering data (of similar builds) than a high-end PC brute forcing good results.

And before anyone gets their panties/knickers in a bunch, I'm not talking about eliminating high-end PC comparisons, but adding a little more flavor in the mix.

It's coming, and soon.

It seems too early to really take advantage Directstorage 1.1+ considering it would have been in early beta when this game was starting development, but who knows. I hope it does use it but if any studio can make a decent port of this without it, it's Nixxes.

Probably the most consistently impressive presentation from a game I've seen this gen. While not the best example of the most cutting-edge raytracing implementation, when all the elements are accounted for, such as image quality, artwork, animation and overall performance, I'd say this game impresses me the most.
Personally, nixxes is one of the best porting studios ever if not the best. Right up there with bluepoint

Because I'm a PC enthusiast who loves seeing various configurations, other than high-end configurations. Seeing a PC spec'd closer to the PS5 or XBSX during console/PC game comparisons can be more useful on gathering data (of similar builds) than a high-end PC brute forcing good results.

And before anyone gets their panties/knickers in a bunch, I'm not talking about eliminating high-end PC comparisons, but adding a little more flavor in the mix.

These comparisons are normally done, Alex usually pairs a 2070 Super with a R5 3600 for this. You're asking for a $500 PC which simply does not exist as a comparably specced gaming rig. There is no $500 PS5 equivalent PC.

It's coming, and soon.

It seems too early to really take advantage Directstorage 1.1+ considering it would have been in early beta when this game was starting development, but who knows. I hope it does use it but if any studio can make a decent port of this without it, it's Nixxes.

Probably the most consistently impressive presentation from a game I've seen this gen. While not the best example of the most cutting-edge raytracing implementation, when all the elements are accounted for, such as image quality, artwork, animation and overall performance, I'd say this game impresses me the most.
Nixxes are the best pc optimizes.. naughty dog and ea must take notes

I'd like to see a take on a PS5 spec PC just to see how the industry has changed. Assuming it costs more, we could look at why (is it all just GPU inflation?) and what the consoles bring in terms of added economy - seems like we've gone full circle and we're back to where we were in the PS1 sort of era, PCs can do more but cost more...whereas a gen or two ago, PCs were fiercely priced.

I'd like to see a take on a PS5 spec PC just to see how the industry has changed. Assuming it costs more, we could look at why (is it all just GPU inflation?)

It's mainly because they're using a GPU in PS5 that's much closer to the high end PC GPU's than what PS4/Xbone were using.

PS4 used an HD7850 that was an already 18 month old mid-range GPU and 2.5 years after it released (Same point where PS5 is now) PC had the mid-range GTX1060 which was more than double it's performance.

That sort of performance increase in the mid-range is not happening now making comparisons to PS5 much more difficult than it was to PS5.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back