Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2022] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Hellblade at 4k with RT is the ultimate GPU stress test apparently. Good lord.😲

yx2ytl2.png

2007 release of Crysis with 8xMSAA+8xTrSSAA is pretty brutal on the power draw too.

Not to mention it's still one of the best stress tests for GPU OC stability.

Looks awesome! And I know several of those bars well :D
Yeah that sort of reminds me of the UE5 demos people make of confined places that look "too good" to be in a game. Only, in a game, of course. The people look video gamey, though. But the camera work is really nice. About the only graphical issue I saw the transparency sorting at the end, where the glass from the street lights are improperly sorted when viewed through the cars windows.

Looks great, except ... that weird glow that brackets the 2 lower corners whenever the camera moves is annoying as hell. I wonder what's up with that?

Regards,
SB

That looks to be the limitation of screen space reflections.*

Edit: Eh, maybe not, I see what you mean now. It's not just that, there's like a white haze that follows you around.

That looks to be the limitation of screen space reflections.*

Edit: Eh, maybe not, I see what you mean now. It's not just that, there's like a white haze that follows you around.

Yeah, I'm wondering either what rendering limitation/artifacting that is or if it's just some weird effect that the developers wanted? I don't think it looks like any kind of real life physical camera/lens artifacting that they might be trying to reproduce.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Its not pointless when you can sell if (as will I do after finishing singleplayer campagin)

Buying a disc version which contains 70mb of data and then having to download +150gb to play the game, excluding warzone 2.0 which would add even more gb’s of data to download, in special for those on not-fiber internet isnt all that enticing. In special considering that in a farther future when these games are out of support/server shutdown, these discs have no value at all.
Selling these physical games gets less intresting going forward.
Its no surprise to me that physical game sales are dwindling.

So yeah, pointless buying a blu ray with 70mb of data which wont let you even play the games when they become ’retro’ (5 years nowadays?)

Buying a disc version which contains 70mb of data and then having to download +150gb to play the game, excluding warzone 2.0 which would add even more gb’s of data to download, in special for those on not-fiber internet isnt all that enticing. In special considering that in a farther future when these games are out of support/server shutdown, these discs have no value at all.
Selling these physical games gets less intresting going forward.
Its no surprise to me that physical game sales are dwindling.

So yeah, pointless buying a blu ray with 70mb of data which wont let you even play the games when they become ’retro’ (5 years nowadays?)
What’s your argument against using a disc as a license that you can resell, which was snc’s only point? You’re going to download 150GB disc or digital, you’re going to pay about the same price day one, and the digital copy will be as useless as the disc copy when the servers shut down.

This post may seem a bit aggressive but I don’t understand arguing against and laughing at a point that has no rebuttal, that you can sell a used disc copy and you can’t sell a used digital copy?

(The stupidity and plastic waste of a 70MB disc, or the concept of a 150GB game “going gold” with said disc is another issue, as is continuing this OT.)

Reactions: snc
Thinking of this again for some reason

Not every video link posted in this thread requires a written synopsis of course, but I think if you're going to post videos from a source with a known history of dubious analysis, I think it's wise to at least accompany it with some commentary.

There are a lot of shitty youtubers out there on every subject, you've got to curate the feed a little, especially if you're going to post it without any added context. Digital Foundry isn't perfect of course, but they're established a rep enough where it's reasonable to assume people are usually waiting for their analysis and as such just posting a link to their most recent video is relevant. No one reasonable is waiting for an NxGamer video.

A pretty well balanced review. It does seem like he's turned a bit of a corner in the last two videos. Still, there's some pretty odd technical analysis in there. e.g. I think he suggests at one point that the PS5 is using DX12 as the API for this game which is why it's running slower than the Xbox. Pretty sure that's not possible...

He reasons that the PS5 having the slowest load times (ouch) is down to how Direct Storage interacts with DX12 in this game. Yet as far as I'm aware the game doesn't even use Direct Storage on the PC? My guess is it's simply CPU limited and the PC and Xbox in this case were simply coincidentally the same speed.

He also speculates that to hit a locked 60fps/4K you would need a 4090 with DLSS3 frame generation enabled. But I'm not sure he really appreciates how insanely powerful the 4090 actually is as it's achieving that performance level at native 4k - with Ultra settings at that. With DLSS 3 it should be able to breeze past 120fps with ease.

A pretty well balanced review. It does seem like he's turned a bit of a corner in the last two videos. Still, there's some pretty odd technical analysis in there. e.g. I think he suggests at one point that the PS5 is using DX12 as the API for this game which is why it's running slower than the Xbox. Pretty sure that's not possible...

He reasons that the PS5 having the slowest load times (ouch) is down to how Direct Storage interacts with DX12 in this game. Yet as far as I'm aware the game doesn't even use Direct Storage on the PC? My guess is it's simply CPU limited and the PC and Xbox in this case were simply coincidentally the same speed.

He also speculates that to hit a locked 60fps/4K you would need a 4090 with DLSS3 frame generation enabled. But I'm not sure he really appreciates how insanely powerful the 4090 actually is as it's achieving that performance level at native 4k - with Ultra settings at that. With DLSS 3 it should be able to breeze past 120fps with ease.
Not dx12 but some kind of wrapper which for sure is possible taking into account asobo its not biggest studio with biggest budget

Back