Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2022] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

I believe it has more to do with VRAM filling up and degradating performance over time.
They said it's about threads:

We identified a performance degradation issue that could occur on some hardware configurations when raytracing is enabled. This was caused by allocation contention between ray tracing job threads, that could result in stuttering after playing the game for a while. We have implemented changes to prevent this from happening.

Just to note, I've moved from a Ryzen 5 3600 clocked at 4.2Ghz to a Core i3 12100 and with these settings Spiderman is pretty much a flawless 60fps now (Swinging around Time Square lowest was 58fps)

RT resolution = Very high
RT detail = Very high
Detail slider at 8

I'll update it tomorrow and try it out, if I can smooth out those last few FPS drops I'll be a very happy camper.

VRAM usage is increased indeed, but extreme frame drops still occur. Overall framerate is increased a lot so I'm happy for now, it should help me stabilize the average framerates I was getting at 1440p. For 4K, sub-30 fps drops still seems like unavoidable.

But I thought it was an architectural issue for PCs 🤣

Anyways...

I'm glad to see actual technical analysis being on point, the developers responding, and seeing the positive impact on the overall product.

Just tried the updated Spiderman...LOADS better, the intro sequence on my 3060ti at native 1080p with RT is now a locked 60fps where as before it would dip to low 30's (NXG's 2070 'Super' dropped in to the low 20's here) when Peter was in full view of the camera.

The reflection quality in this game still sucks ass though, grainy as shit compared to other games with RT reflections and they need some work to improve as they're really not great and never really have been.

Playing around with Spiderman again, it's reflections are definitely poor.

I've started a new game and using the shiny floors at the top of Fisk Tower to compare the reflections.

Very high has some weird artefacts that don't exist when the reflection resolution is set to high and when set to high they're generally more temporally stable too.

When running around on the high setting you can see parts where the reflections get better after a few frames so maybe the game is doing some form of TAA for the reflections?

Could it be that the very high setting doesn't actually increase the rendered resolution of the reflections but instead turns on a form of reconstruction which while giving a perceived sharpness increase also introduces those artefacts I can see.

As a result high actually looks better to the eye.

Close up shots taken with my phone attached.

Attachments

• Very high.jpg
    Very high.jpg
    859.6 KB · Views: 30
  • High.jpg
    High.jpg
    790 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I agree with Dictator here, I try enjoying Scorn on PC but it is near impossible. Huge amount of stutters, constantly. It really gets old. Its not like this is an open world game where you revisit those locations...

cDTIdB0.jpg

This game is so amazing in atmosphere and art that I d totally love to own it to give my respects to the developers.
Its amazing work even if its not perfect

I'm downloading Scorn now, and I'm pretty excited about it. The reviews are so mixed for it that I can't help but be intrigued. It also appears to run better than expected on low end PC hardware.

Back