Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2022] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

My brother who's a pure console gamer (PS5) just said all that performance in the 4090 and it still doesn't have a game with better graphics than Horizon Forbidden West.

I lol'd because he kind of has a point.
It's fine, it'll run Forbidden West soon enough.

I will say I'm fairly disappointed that DLSS3 is only on 40 series cards. Both from the perspective of a current RTX owner, but also because that would mean that DLSS2 development would essentially stop, and that games releasing will have to support yet another upscaling technology. Are games going to ship with DLSS2, 3, XESS, FSR1.0 and FSR2.0? That seams like a fairly excessive burden to place on developers, but one that the customers will be motivated to require.

It's fine, it'll run Forbidden West soon enough.

I will say I'm fairly disappointed that DLSS3 is only on 40 series cards. Both from the perspective of a current RTX owner, but also because that would mean that DLSS2 development would essentially stop, and that games releasing will have to support yet another upscaling technology. Are games going to ship with DLSS2, 3, XESS, FSR1.0 and FSR2.0? That seams like a fairly excessive burden to place on developers, but one that the customers will be motivated to require.

That is really an excellent point, I would say FSR 2.0 is here to stay as it's open source and does a good job at what it does, I feel XeSS will never see wide adoption if Intel don't get it running on consoles.

So that just leaves DLSS 2/3 and I hope implementing 3 doesn't mean 2 gets left behind.

XeSS has at least a few years of support because Intel will sponsor titles for it's inclusion. And I don't feel like console support is required for it's success. It wouldn't hurt, of course. But even if it did get released as a plugin for consoles, I'm willing to bet that using other upscaling techniques would be more performant, and on fixed hardware, that's really the most important thing.

XeSS has at least a few years of support because Intel will sponsor titles for it's inclusion. And I don't feel like console support is required for it's success. It wouldn't hurt, of course. But even if it did get released as a plugin for consoles, I'm willing to bet that using other upscaling techniques would be more performant, and on fixed hardware, that's really the most important thing.

Since theres no hw acceleration on consoles the performance wins wouldnt be worth it.

My brother who's a pure console gamer (PS5) just said all that performance in the 4090 and it still doesn't have a game with better graphics than Horizon Forbidden West.

I lol'd because he kind of has a point.

That RacerX which is being launched alongside Ada specifically to demonstrate its capabilities completely destroys Forbidden West graphically. They're not even in adjacent leagues.

DLSS3 is a superset of 2.
The frame creation is directly based on the output from DLSS2.
So yes, there may be some improvements to be made on the IQ of the created frame but we'll not know how that holds up until @Dictator reports back.

But it's highly possible/likely that the DLSS2 core will still be what is worked on.
I fully expect that DLSS3 will run on RTX but without the frame creation, therefore in DLSS2.x mode.
So devs won't be having to support multiple DLSS versions.

DLSS3 is a superset of 2.
The frame creation is directly based on the output from DLSS2.
So yes, there may be some improvements to be made on the IQ of the created frame but we'll not know how that holds up until @Dictator reports back.

But it's highly possible/likely that the DLSS2 core will still be what is worked on.
I fully expect that DLSS3 will run on RTX but without the frame creation, therefore in DLSS2.x mode.
So devs won't be having to support multiple DLSS versions.
I think NV people have already confirmed what you say about it being a superset. DLSS 3 is a thing on top of DLSS Image reconstruction, which includes reflex and the AI frame gen.

That's what I'm saying. Even if XeSS was available, for performance, other techniques would be used.
Does model inference scale linearly e.g 4x pixels is only 4x amount of work?
This is a question as I don't know.

What about the fact that Intel has said that it works with there igpu's?
How well it works, we have to wait for independent reviews, but I wouldn't be so quick to write it off.

Does model inference scale linearly e.g 4x pixels is only 4x amount of work?
This is a question as I don't know.

What about the fact that Intel has said that it works with there igpu's?
How well it works, we have to wait for independent reviews, but I wouldn't be so quick to write it off.
No. The depth of layers will matter more than just inputs alone when it comes to processing time. But all things equal more inputs will take longer. Too hard to know without seeing the model.

Probably cuz there's literally nothing else about the 'game' other than some recent pretty environments that I'm seeing from videos after Googling.

Is there anything to suggest it's anything more than just another of a million basic tech demos out there?

That video clip reminds me that although I love RT, sometimes I like the way water looks using the old tricks. Not sure why. I know it isn't realistic. I just like it better, sometimes.

Probably cuz there's literally nothing else about the 'game' other than some recent pretty environments that I'm seeing from videos after Googling.

Is there anything to suggest it's anything more than just another of a million basic tech demos out there?
I think it is a Chinese Market Game - Google searches not in Mandarin might not be fruitful. I had the same issue trying to find info while making a video in Sword and Fairy 7.

So, I wonder why everyone is quiet about this game:
That's a loaded question inappropriate for a B3D tech discussion. If there's a video worth looking at, please just share and talk about the tech. Also, this is the console forum. Value in RT showcases needs to be relevant to consoles. Is this game coming to console? If not, please post in the PC forum for the game, or Rendering Tech and APIs if there's something new about the rendering tech.

Sony's games have extremely high production values, with tons of care put into the details. They focus on slick presentation. That's the key which makes them stand apart from most others.

PC gets a lot of games which can be technically very impressive or demanding... but don't have that same level of attention put into production.

You can take a good looking game... and elevate it to the next level, with the right style of presentation. Things like camera work, using filmic effects.. ect.. can transform the look and feel of a game, even if it's a lower budget.

But there's one thing that all AAA high quality cinematic games have in common... and that's excellent animation. Sony has teams of teams and more teams on top of that.. of artists and animators who absolutely hammer out those details. That costs a lot of money... and it's those tiny details that begin to matter more and more and begin to stand out like a sore thumb when they're lacking.

Back