Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2022] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

I just bought a heatsink for my drive so I managed to do a bit more experimenting.

Spider Man

I figured this might be worth testing so I tried comparing the PS4 vs PS5 versions of Miles Morales. I booted into the main menu (which is in realtime like R&C) and then started a new game and let the intro sequence play out. This takes about 2:30 minutes.

PS4: 5GB
PS5: 32GB

Test R&C some more, in special what is happening during portal/level swapping, because as you said, i expected much larger numbers there.

I haven't played the game yet so it's hard for me to make a controlled experiment with the portals. I did try to create a longer test by playing the first mission for about 8 minutes which resulted in 54GB of reads. I skipped the intro as in my earlier post which should mean ~5GB of initial reads plus another 49GB of data streamed over those 8 minutes.

Test matrix demo

I tried this one as well but I decided to skip the movie scene and went straight into the playable open world part. The initial boot alone was ~10GB and then playing around for ten minutes streamed in about 100GB. This would make the streaming rate about 3x higher than in my earlier Demon's Souls test.

I never went into flight mode so this is just from running and driving around the city.

-----

I still haven't played through either R&C or Miles so I can't really comment on them more than this. R&C is the next game on my list though so I'll hopefully do a follow-up.

Right, so I finally reached that same spot and I hit that rock way more often than is healthy. I performed 80 (!) warps in total across 3 separate runs and they all suggest that each individual warp reads slightly below 500MB from the SSD.

Amazing, thanks for your work and contribution with these valuable data sets.

Right, so I finally reached that same spot and I hit that rock way more often than is healthy. I performed 80 (!) warps in total across 3 separate runs and they all suggest that each individual warp reads slightly below 500MB from the SSD.
0.5gb is maybe not a huge amount but still not possible without ssd as waiting would kill game flow

The shift happens in less than a second...
Significantly as it's only the period of a few frames of white-out. Could easily be 5+ GB/s.

Actually, I see the camera is frozen in place. Possibly they use a screen snapshot of the current environment and start loading then, wiping out the current environment and hiding all that behind this static backdrop. That'd place the loading period as the time frame the camera is locked in place, eyeballed to something like a quarter of a second.

I strongly disagree, I'd estimate more than half of the people I work with have changed career at least once. I started out as an electrical engineer in aerospace and defence, then switched to programming then became the manager of a massive server farm and now I'm troubleshooting legislative and policy problems for Government. People have lots of fundamental transferable micro-skills that carry over to different jobs.

You may well be am artist or musician but that doesn't mean you cannot also be a great UI or gameplay designer, or learn to write code - because it's never been easier with modern high-level languages. I found learning 6510 assembly pretty easy and learning new languages a breeze because there are a lot of adaptable principles in all aspects of software and game development.

Back in the early games of video games days, almost all games were produced by one or two people who had to do everything. It's mostly time and scale that prevents that, not having a varied skillset.

Yeah I mean, I'm one of the datapoints that contradicts my own claim -- I went artist, to tech artist, to more of an engineer side role. But in games it's rarer than other industries, and it's definitely harder to be a generalist in games than it was in 1985, when art was 8x8 pixels and gameplay vs graphics code wasn't really that different. "because it's never been easier with modern high-level languages" breaks down pretty fast at graphics, where somebody might spend hundreds or thousands of man hours just saving like 1 ms on 1 particular piece of hardware by reading shader assembly and making inferences about the hardware.

Welcome, Ziva Dynamics! | Unity Blog

"
We, as humans, are uniquely attuned to react to human movement. We have an entire section of our brains dedicated to rapidly processing faces and expressions. Creating digital humans that meet the quality and natural dynamics needed to truly satisfy our minds can be a complicated and painful effort, requiring both expert knowledge and extreme perseverance.

Ziva Dynamics is solving that problem. The Ziva team has deep expertise and understanding of complex anatomical simulation and real-time artistry tools. Their incredible technology is paving the way for lifelike real-time characters and scalable, accessible workflows."

ps5 high settings 1800p 30
xox/ps4pro medium settings 1080p 30 (xox no fps drops in tested sequences)
ps4/xone low settings 864p 30
1836p on PS5 according to NXGamer. PS5 version being the most stable (of both big consoles) with an absolute locked framerate in all modes. He found some rare frame-pacing issues on XSX in the quality mode EDIT: and also in the resolution mode.

Last edited:
Interesting, if not necessarily valuable information, in this next AJG video.
The power consumption numbers of Series X across three different modes in the same game, same content (not exactly like for like).

I don't have access to his stats, but a rough estimate looks like:
Quality/RT mode (1080p/30hz): 133-161 watts
Performance mode (1080p/60hz): 154-166 watts
Resolution mode (1944p/30hz): 164-178 watts

PS5 and Xbox Series X render at a native resolution of 1920x1080 in both the Performance Mode and the Quality Mode. Quality Mode adds Ray-traced Shadows and Ambient Occlusion. PS5 in the Resolution Mode renders at a native resolution of approximately 3264x1836. Xbox Series X in the Resolution Mode renders at a native resolution of approximately 3456x1944. The PS5 version has a bug that can cause the screen to sometimes flicker. Xbox Series X in Quality Mode appears to have a bug that can cause stuttering when moving through certain areas. Stats: https://bit.ly/34o2Hqo

Back