Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2020-2021] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
vrs seems perfect for xss, for xsx is just lowering quality not necesery imho dynamic res would be enough

Post from game developer on another forum, Gavin Stevens - Team Blur Games, where he says he got VRS Tier 2 working with no perceptible quality decrease:

The main goal of VRS is to lower precision is areas that are not noticeable under general gameplay. If you have to use a 400% zoom, this proves the point. In doing this, yes, you can zoom in massively and see a slight loss of detail, but it also frees up resources to allow pushing higher in other areas. In the case of Doom, it can push higher resolution and maintain higher frame rates.

Also, the VRS in use here hasn’t been tweaked. In my uses, I’ve managed to get VRS tier 2 to work with visually no perceptible decrease in quality on oblique angles, but still have enough performance overhead to make the usage worthwhile.

VRS is good but people need to see its not a miracle cure. You don’t really get things for free in this game as you know. But, you know what people can be like.

I said VRS lowers precision in situations where you don’t actually notice that precision being lost. Doom isn’t quite right and it could be pushed further to increase quality, but even then, you have to zoom in 400% to even notice it.

upload_2021-7-7_17-44-58.png

upload_2021-7-7_17-47-31.png

upload_2021-7-7_17-52-37.png

If it's not perceptible then it means VRS is not working. VRS is not a win / win tech, it's a lose / win one. People need to accept the vaseline effect compared to no VRS at the same res. With RT + DRS + more efficient reconstruction tech (like Insomniac one) VRS is not needed.

Mod Edit: leave the character attacks off B3D. They have no place here.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's not perceptible then it means VRS is not working. VRS is not a win / win tech, it's a lose / win one. People need to accept the vaseline effect compared to no VRS at the same res. With RT + DRS + more efficient reconstruction tech (like Insomniac one) VRS is not needed.
It is the other way arround. If VRS has visible artifacts, the implementation is flawed. It shouldn't have a visible impact. So areas in the spotlight should not be affected at all.
Also RT + DRS + reconstruction, doesn't exclude VRS. VRS can still be used for areas where the usage is not noticeable in the picture but in the performance improvement.

Current developers seem to just use it like a user who uses DLSS and always set it to the most aggressive setting. VRS is just one small tool and not the wonder-feature that makes everything possible. And it is certainly not a replacement for DRS + reconstruction. But it can help that the resolution must not go down to far when using DRS. And on it's way saving cycles, bandwidth, ... to improve the picture more in other areas. That is the idea behind VRS.

A developer explains he got VRS tier 2 to work with no visible decrease in image quality, thats quite a great return if theres any performance to gain there imo. Also, VRS can certainly be used ontop of RT/upscaling etc.

VRS is the DLSS of the consoles (or yes, xbox atleast), its in early stages now, but probably make its advancements in due time. Its a huge omission for the PS5 imo.

vaseline?? Oh boy

VRS is a win lose tech and the developers never claimed the opposite. The trick is to use it in a way the gamer doesn't see the loses. The developers claimed he achieved exactly that. Unless a gamer stares for half an hour onto a screen and zoomed into the picture.

As I've said before the main reason it's bad is because it's not present on all of PC, PS5, and Xbox.

That doesn't make it bad, just less likely to be used in third party games. I wouldn't go as far as to say it's the Xbox DLSS (performance uplift is nowhere close :p) but it's just another tool devs can use to increase performance / image quality.

Another fascinating case study to look at would be Hitman III. Ever since the start of the new trilogy, they've been using Tile Deferred rendering ...

Data would suggest that Hitman is not bounded by it's shading performance either. If we go from having no variable shading to the performance option, the maximum gain is roughly ~5% ... (virtually no difference in performance if we compare against the quality option)

VRS actually complements dynamic resolution: the resource saved from rendering low frequency area can be used to render higher resolution for higher frequency areas. Gears 5 is one such example.
I was talking about doom not gears 5, I would like too see diferences on xsx just dynamic res with slightly lower res vs vrs and dynamic res, imo just dynamic res would look better(tough difference ofcourse would be subtle)

I don't think Hardware VRS is a must have for traditional title but it would be better to have it for the few forward rendering title, at least for undersample things behind motion blur and depth of field.

But Sony has a VR headset and it means on VR side most of the title use forward rendering it would been very useful. Sony needs it more than MS because of VR but they will use other less precise compromise.

Tbh i dont really care if its on consoles or not, i am kinda surprised that it attracts so much negative comments and this tech is so controversial.
I understand that implementation so far is with mixed results from great (gears 5, tactics) to very bad (RE:Village) but clearly one should see potential that it brings to the table.
Anyway it feels like we go in circles every time VRS is mentioned, same arguments over and over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back