Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2020-2021] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, where are the improvements you can see?

Granted I've not watched in 4k yet (only 1080p on the laptop) but I'm really struggling to see any improvement outside of a change to DOF distance and colour grading.

From what i can see (through the bad YT compression), higher shadow quality, DoF is improved, ambient occlusion is more visible (higher setting?), aswell as higher quality texture filtering. Thats aside from ultrawide display support, DLSS, nv reflex (for supposedly lower input latency), and possibly higher resolutions and framerates in the end product.
Hard to tell (watching again), but lighting and skin textures seem improved and colours have been tweaked it seems.

Edit: reading the comments section on that YT channel, its filled with the same observations.

Looks to be a good quality port in the works over there.

Edit: its all here in this article lol

''God of War on PC will be more than a straight PC port, according to Sony. The game will feature support for 21:9 resolution, various controller types, and will support a full 4K renderer for machines that have the required processing and graphics grunt. Sony also promises "a wide range of graphical presets and options so you can fine-tune your visual experience based on your setup. From higher resolution shadows and improved screen space reflections to enhancements to the ambient occlusion pipeline with GTAO and SSDO - God of War on the PC can create striking visual quality unique to the platform." Beyond that, Sony Santa Monica has been working closely with NVIDIA, and will be integrating the company's DLSS and Reflex technologies into the game - DLSS by itself should make a 4K output resolution much easier to achieve.''

https://www.techpowerup.com/288098/...ly-2022-featuring-nvidia-dlss-and-reflex-tech

Last edited:
What Sony do best is create these blockbuster games that have really high production values - not many companies finance these types of games.

It's nothing but excellent that they're choosing to release these titles on PC.

The most expensive games are 3rd party ones, not sony games. You budget a game according to what you expect to get out of it. You're not getting out of 1 platform what you get out of playstation, xbox, switch and PC. Horizon 1 was something like 40 million, a game that came out in 2017. And Shadow of the Tomb Raider, a year later was 135 million on the high end and was claimed that was about the average budget for similar games of that period. 40 million is actually kinda on the cheap side of things. Crysis 2 in 2011 was 45 million.

Ya Sony games aren't particularly high budget. Makes it even more odd how people love to say Sony games are just all “Sony money” “and “art”.

Sony are renowned for producing consistently ‘good’ games with high production values…even Days Gone which was made on unreal by a relatively small team looks better than a lot of so called blockbusters. I’ve no idea how much it cost but assume it’s less than Horizon.

Budgets aren't shared that often in my experience, but sometimes they are. We know this one for Horizon being actually a very cheap game, with budgets from 6 or 7 years ago. And you can tell by the fact that the world is relatively empty, the game length very short, the towns small and emty-ish with basic AI.

Around the time of Shadow of the Tomb Raiders release there was an article published on gameindustry.biz where the director or i dont't remember who exactly, someone involved in the production, said Shadow was between 100 and 135 million dollars. And claimed that was an average cost for productions of similar scope. So, modern, multiplatform action games. We can deduce from his words thats the ballpark of other games from that mold.

But this is the way things are done. Thats how Epic is paying the devs who release their games only on epic store for a certain amount of time. They predict sales in a given timeframe based on their data and they pay up. Thats how games are also budgeted. And you can be certain you're not gonna have the biggest budgets when your target is a single platform compared to 4 combined. You can see the budgetary constraints in God of War as well, with its small and empty world, snowy enviroments and so on.

I also don't see the mythical "sony polish" in any of their games, outside of Naughty Dog, where its higher than the average game. All the rest, are normal games with the same bugs and glitches we all know. I would say only ND has budgets similar to the biggest 3rd party games, since they're the star studio from sony and their games sell large amounts.

More recently, Avengers was almost 200 million dollars and Cyberpunk 320 million

Budgets aren't shared that often in my experience, but sometimes they are. We know this one for Horizon being actually a very cheap game, with budgets from 6 or 7 years ago. And you can tell by the fact that the world is relatively empty, the game length very short, the towns small and emty-ish with basic AI.

Around the time of Shadow of the Tomb Raiders release there was an article published on gameindustry.biz where the director or i dont't remember who exactly, someone involved in the production, said Shadow was between 100 and 135 million dollars. And claimed that was an average cost for productions of similar scope. So, modern, multiplatform action games. We can deduce from his words thats the ballpark of other games from that mold.

But this is the way things are done. Thats how Epic is paying the devs who release their games only on epic store for a certain amount of time. They predict sales in a given timeframe based on their data and they pay up. Thats how games are also budgeted. And you can be certain you're not gonna have the biggest budgets when your target is a single platform compared to 4 combined. You can see the budgetary constraints in God of War as well, with its small and empty world, snowy enviroments and so on.

I also don't see the mythical "sony polish" in any of their games, outside of Naughty Dog, where its higher than the average game. All the rest, are normal games with the same bugs and glitches we all know. I would say only ND has budgets similar to the biggest 3rd party games, since they're the star studio from sony and their games sell large amounts.

More recently, Avengers was almost 200 million dollars and Cyberpunk 320 million

There's multiple ways budgets can be used. But generally speaking, workers * hours = majority of development costs.
If you want to do a massive scale game, with massive depth, and all platforms, you need a ton of workers or you need 2x the time, or both.

Sony games may not be super wide, which is fine, but they take a while to build because a lot of money is invested in polish, execution and delivery. I'd look at Sony games as a novel with a really good editor. Just take out stuff you don't really need and focus on what the players really want. (off-topic: but this is also why I'm not super drawn to Sony exclusives -- too much curation of the experience is frustrating to me; especially even more frustrating when you die and have to go through their curated loop again. It feels like you're rewinding a movie to watch a scene again, without having finished the movie.)

I'd say they could still be equally expensive, with a small team, with a small scope, but be supported in a way that if they need an extra year or 2 or so, they'll have it.

Besides, if I'm being honest, the budget of a game doesn't necessarily indicate a game is going to look good or play well. Development hell eats budget like a mofo. Restarting the game from scratch will do that too.

Last edited:
There's multiple ways budgets can be used. But generally speaking, workers * hours = majority of development costs.
If you want to do a massive scale game, with massive depth, and all platforms, you need a ton of workers or you need 2x the time, or both.

Yeah. this was my thinking -- big sony games have relatively long dev times. Guerilla is a tiny and very efficient studio, but that's not necessarily typical for sony, and sony games ought to have a pretty blank check -- first party games are to sell consoles as much as anything else. Rockstar and cdpr are notoriously inefficient studios with deep pockets, which i see as outliers.

What is up with the larger Install size on PS5 and PS4 for COD Vanguard? Does it have 28GB to 37GB of exclusive content?

https://www.callofduty.com/blog/2021/10/vanguard-console-preloading-launch-file-size

By console, these are the estimated file sizes needed to install Vanguard at launch, including via pre-load, as well as the disk space needed to play the game:

PlayStation 5: 64.13 GB Download | 89.84 GB Required Space
PlayStation 4: 54.65 GB Download | 93.12 GB Required Space
Xbox Series X |S: 61 GB Download | 61 GB Required Space
Xbox One: 56.6 GB Download | 56.6 GB Required Space

Players can choose to manage storage space and reduce the game’s overall file size during or after the pre-load.

What is up with the larger Install size on PS5 and PS4 for COD Vanguard? Does it have 28GB to 37GB of exclusive content?

https://www.callofduty.com/blog/2021/10/vanguard-console-preloading-launch-file-size

Players can choose to manage storage space and reduce the game’s overall file size during or after the pre-load.
That is the install size. PS4 & 5 download "install packages" while xbox directly downloads the packages that are used by the game.
But interesting that the Series X and S version has the same size and the PS5 version is bigger. Does not seem that they made a native current-gen app but just ported it over.

But interesting that the Series X and S version has the same size and the PS5 version is bigger. Does not seem that they made a native current-gen app but just ported it over.

Right, 89.94 gb ps5 vs 61 gb series x, and 93.12 gb ps4 vs 56.6 gb one. That's what I am talking about with the question of "What is up with the larger Install size on PS5 and PS4 for COD Vanguard? Does it have 28GB to 37GB of exclusive content?"

89 - 61 ~= 28 gb current-gen
93 - 56 ~= 37 gb last-gen

Right, 89.94 gb ps5 vs 61 gb series x, and 93.12 gb ps4 vs 56.6 gb one. That's what I am talking about with the question of "What is up with the larger Install size on PS5 and PS4 for COD Vanguard? Does it have 28GB to 37GB of exclusive content?"

I know what you mean. I would still guess, the space required is not the space the game does actually need after install is complete and the install packages are removed. But to Install the game you would need those 89-94GB of free space.

"By console, these are the estimated file sizes needed to install Vanguard at launch, including via pre-load, as well as the disk space needed to play the game:"

So weird. Would love to learn more what happened here.

I would guess time exclusive content like they've had in the past. For example, the Zombie thing that was exclusive to PlayStation for a year in one of the previous CODs.

Regards,
SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back