Crytek Presents: CRYSIS 3 [PS3, 360]

Would the inclusion of these AA means HD res is butchered again? Surely there's only so much bandwidth to play with for the consoles.

Would the inclusion of these AA means HD res is butchered again? Surely there's only so much bandwidth to play with for the consoles.

They're not using MSAA on either console (SMAA S2X, 4x etc), so I'm not sure what you mean. The AA solutions they've chosen are pretty inexpensive. If anything, the available memory is going to limit the resolution considering they seem to be using a lot of buffers. Hard to say if they have a lot of shaders with branching either, which would slow things down on RSX too.

They're not using MSAA on either console (SMAA S2X, 4x etc), so I'm not sure what you mean. The AA solutions they've chosen are pretty inexpensive. If anything, the available memory is going to limit the resolution considering they seem to be using a lot of buffers. Hard to say if they have a lot of shaders with branching either, which would slow things down on RSX too.

Maybe Crytek should try tiled based deferred rendering like Dice? I have a strong feeling the resolution will not end well for PS3 if they try to push things even harder.

*mouth agape*

Geez, I cant imagine next gen console(s) doing too much better than that, though I'm sure in time they'll blow that away.

I think that is one of the first examples that I actually think is getting in the ballpark of what next gen consoles will do...

uugh give me a direct feed trailer please couldn't see shit in this gameplay trailer. Still foliage looks awesome..
Edit: slowed down a youtube vid and yeah it looks really nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting comment:

"We want to make sure as much as is humanly possible can translate from a DX11 variant into a DX9 variant, that will work almost as good on an Xbox console to whatever extent we can, because we don't want the experience to be different between the platforms,

Translation:

We intend to take very little advantage of DX11 and gimp the PC version so it doesn't look too much better than the consoles.

Fortunately we've seen contradictory statements from Crytek so we can chalk this all up to hype building I think and make judgements on the end product alone.

Looks good IMO:D

Regarding graphics, it seems that Crytek has begun building up their hype
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-graphics-running-on-crysis-3-on-ps3-xbox-360

So far the only concrete example they give is parallax occlusion mapping, which was already in Crysis. Maybe if they can get memory utilization tighter you might see more rendering moved over to the SPEs on the PS3 version. The quotations in the article make it seem as if the Xbox will receive the majority of improvements though.

Care to name some examples of what is impressive to you? That ought to be funny.
Considering this is a major sequel, impressive would something much better than Crysis 2. This looks on par with C2.

It still looks awesome, but not impressive. TBH, I'm still waiting for a leap like CryEngine 1 to CryEngine 2, but I guess I will have to wait for next-gen for that :(

Considering this is a major sequel, impressive would something much better than Crysis 2. This looks on par with C2.

It still looks awesome, but not impressive. TBH, I'm still waiting for a leap like CryEngine 1 to CryEngine 2, but I guess I will have to wait for next-gen for that :(

Cervat said next gen will be more about subtle improvements...:cool:

Crysis 1 was the breaking of the ceiling.

Depends on what exactly gets packed and flattened into "subtle improvements" and what the range of subjective interpretations are. I could argue Crysis didn't break any ceiling and was a subtle improvement of UE3 games, or Far Cry, or Doom3.

BTW Crytek also claimed Avatar level graphics should be the reality next-gen, which far exceeds my definition of subtle.

Back