Crytek may go bankrupt

I wonder how much Ryse did actually cost them in the end. After all it was in development for a long time. Announced at E3 2010 and then at E3 2011 as a 360 Kinnect game. And for how ever long before that. I'm pretty sure MS wouldn't be footing the bill all the way through that development time.

If Crytek goes under and the reason given is because of Ryse (and you know it will in the press) then it's going to be another blow to the XB brand. The game that is the XB1's graphical show case to date is the game that killed the developer. You'd think at this point MS or Sony would be eyeing them as potential talent for their 1st party studios, especially the Frankfurt team. I can't imagine there is much left the former Free Radical.

I wonder how much Ryse did actually cost them in the end. After all it was in development for a long time. Announced at E3 2010 and then at E3 2011 as a 360 Kinnect game. And for how ever long before that. I'm pretty sure MS wouldn't be footing the bill all the way through that development time.

If Crytek goes under and the reason given is because of Ryse (and you know it will in the press) then it's going to be another blow to the XB brand. The game that is the XB1's graphical show case to date is the game that killed the developer. You'd think at this point MS or Sony would be eyeing them as potential talent for their 1st party studios, especially the Frankfurt team. I can't imagine there is much left the former Free Radical.

Heh...reminds me of LAIR and Heavenly Sword

I was under the impression that CryEngine was an incredible engine. I thought its present iteration was as competitive or superior to UE4?

I'm surprised nobody is buying it. I thought they announced a new pricing plan that was uber competitive? Better than UE4's?

I hope Crytek gets bought out by some major publisher with at least some of the talent intact. Not many AAA console developing studios left not owned by traditional publishing houses of Zenimax,ubisoft, ea, activision, ms,sony, warnerbros, squareenix (square & enix), 2k

Last edited by a moderator:
Not many studios left any more not linked to the traditional publishing houses of Zenimax,ubisoft, ea

EA? VADE RETRO SATANA!!

Ugh, if only EA had not owned publishing rights for Crytek on PC. I would have loved to buy and play Crysis 3, but I'm NOT installing friggin origin. Not now, not ever!

I was under the impression that CryEngine was an incredible engine. I thought its present iteration was as competitive or superior to UE4?
Probably depends what you're trying to do.

I'm surprised nobody is buying it. I thought they announced a new pricing plan that was uber competitive? Better than UE4's?
But that's too late for any projects already started on UE4. Maybe when all those projects are finished (and everyone's used to the toolchain and comfortable with UE4), devs might start looking for alternatives, but if UE4 works, they're unlikely to switch. It's the same reason Office is the de facto Office software. There are alternatives, but everyone's used to Office and it works. For indies, I think Unity is the preferred platform, not least due to sterling mobile support. Maybe the problem is partially one of perception as CryEngine was presented as an uber-expensive, uber-powerful tool for AAA development, and total overkill for most titles. It might be economical and effective now, but that message hasn't got through.

It isn't. The renderer was better than UE3's in some aspects but UE4 has surpassed it in every conceivable way now.

Feel sorry for all of those people paying for access to CryEngine on Steam.

Concerning costs, I can tell you that in 2008 CryEngine was 3 times more expensive than UE...
(I suppose it depends on the studio and such, there are also different costs depending on the % or royalties and sells...)

Today though I think they are competitive, based on what I read on the web. (No first hand experience.)
Well... maybe Roberts Space Industries can purchase the CryEngine given the insane funding it gets for Space Citizen (and the fact it's used for that game.)

Evolve is CryEngine!
So is Enemy Front! Never heard of it? Not surprising, Eurogamer gave it 2/10. A good engine does not mean a technically accomplished game.

I image for most developers it comes down to tools and toolchains. UE has been around a long time and a lot of developers will be familiar with it and the tools. Even if an alternative were better, you're going to take a hit learning it. That hit will be time and time = money.

I cant wait to see what will Roberts do with CryEngine. He announced both tons of space combat, plus full support for first person gameplay [even the in-ship combat between ship owners and raiders, mangement of ship sections, gravity modulations, atmosphere management, all like in FTL] :) That will be a big game, both MP and large SP/Coop campaign. He even said that they will surpass facial capture and visual fidelity that was shown in Ryse.

I bid £10,000! I was going to get a Ducati 1098 (black, of course) but I do want them to remake TimeSplitters and apparently buying the company is the only way this is going to happen.

So is GameStar a Murdoch enterprise, with the same level of journalistic integrity? Will they be reporting Elvis is the largest shareholder of Crytek next week?

Its sad that one game can take down a company these days, and its not like Ryse sold less than 100k or something terrible like that. Selling a million units use to be a milestone, but these days it often doesn't come close to the cost of many of these game development budgets. Im sure one of the console manufactures would buy them up before they would simply close the doors, the game engine would be an incredible asset to have when looking to entice third party developers to your platform.

Nobody here knows the deal between MS and Crytech for Ryse. It is entirely possible that Crytech made a profit from whatever they were payed by MS.

Back