Crysis could be on consoles from Cevart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, what? Are you saying they are going to use different textures every frame or something? And anyway, my point was that if you have 512 MB of vram you aren't going to replace it 4 times over every second.

It's possible to use new textures every 1/4 of a second.
That's it.

What are you talking about? You don't need to completely eliminate grabs from the HDD, you just need to make it so they don't slow the program down...

But it doesn't matter how'd you do it if you change only 30-50mb of data per second.

As for the hill test, I am talking about a scenario where the player can't run up it and the dev knows this. They can simply put a flag up there so that it doesn't start loading the textures up there.

You just do not draw it, that's all.
Or have only one side of it modelled.

It's possible to use new textures every 1/4 of a second.
That's it.

Reading comprehension FTW! I was talking about replacing every single bit in the vram 4 times per second (ie. transferring 2GB from the system ram to the VRAM), not using a few new textures every 1/4 second...

But it doesn't matter how'd you do it if you change only 30-50mb of data per second.

If I need those 30-50MB of data right now and I have to wait a second to get them, that is called a 1 second loading screen...

You just do not draw it, that's all.
Or have only one side of it modelled.

I am talking about a free roaming world. You can get up that cliff, but not until you get a helicopter or something.

Cell factor does it and im pretty certain Lost Planet does too.
Yes Cell Factor -who is an arena tech demo- does it. I played the demo and i get a 30-35% framedrop when i have enabled motion blur.
So if you loose 1/3 of your framerate just for a single feature i think that this supports my point.
Lost planet is the first demanding game who does it and, even though their DX9 HDR seems to be a hack job (you can enable it with 4xAA in a 7900, no?), you still have a horrible performance. I had to set the "hdr" and motion blur to low at 1024x768 to get a mediocre framerate on my 1900xtx. So i can't see where is the gain if crytek add a feature that gamers won't be able to use.

Lost planet is the first demanding game who does it and, even though their DX9 HDR seems to be a hack job (you can enable it with 4xAA in a 7900, no?), you still have a horrible performance. I had to set the "hdr" and motion blur to low at 1024x768 to get a mediocre framerate on my 1900xtx. So i can't see where is the gain if crytek add a feature that gamers won't be able to use.

Don't think you can read much out of LP on PC. It runs fantastic on the 360 with everything enabled and horribly on the PC.

Cheers

RSX would render 16mb so fast that it's impossible to stick any new data inside.

ROFL.

Seriously, you have proven your ignorance in every one of these posts, be glad the rep system is out, or you would have accumulated a world record in negative red squares by now for stupidity.

ROFL.

Seriously, you have proven your ignorance in every one of these posts, be glad the rep system is out, or you would have accumulated a world record in negative red squares by now for stupidity.

I think psorcerer makes a valid point... Why do you have to offend him ?

I think psorcerer makes a valid point... Why do you have to offend him ?

A valid point? There is nothing ofvalue here, he makes up a theory that does not match with reality and even thought everybody points out how wrong he is, he keeps going on and on about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back