Crysis 3

I'll get it when it's sub-$20 on Steam.
Have they actually confirmed they're ever going to release on steam, regardless of price?

I ask you to note that EA never released Syndicate on steam, despite its low sales figures. Or maybe rather it is that sales were so low simply BECAUSE they didn't release on steam. In either case, the game still isn't out, and AFAIK no signs pointing to that it ever will be.

Battlefield 3 isn't on steam either, and my suspicion none of EA's recent titles are - or ever will be. They just don't want to share their money with valve anymore, regardless of steam's marketshare.

I'm going to wait until it hits 20-30 USD, AND there is a pirated version out. So I can buy the boxed retail copy then install the pirated copy to play and throw away the boxed copy.

Will be the first pirated game I've ever installed on PC.

Either that or I'll just play it on a friend's computer. Much more likely. :p I'd rather not download/install anything pirated. Too bad. I would have pre-purchased Crysis 3 just like I did with Crysis 2 if it had been distributed in the same way.

Regards,
SB

Without having to worry about any other graphics architectures on consoles, it's quite possible that multi-platform games will be tailored to take advantage of AMD graphics features as well as the compute capabilities of GCN.

Potentially but I don't really think it's going to matter much. I'm not aware of any AMD proprietary functionality aside from Partially Resident Textures. Maybe developers will bring that over to PC games but that's unlikely since it's not supported by DIrectX.

On the compute front GCN and Fermi are extremely similar when viewed through the Compute Shader API. Kepler adds a wrinkle with the superscalar issue thing but that's probably not a big deal. Overall nVidia's and AMD's current architectures are so similar that the potential for vendor friendly software is probably lower now than it's ever been.

Performance is probably going to be more dependent on the usual suspects - bandwidth and raw processing power.

I'm not aware of any AMD proprietary functionality aside from Partially Resident Textures. Maybe developers will bring that over to PC games but that's unlikely since it's not supported by DIrectX.
Could something like that be exposed/utilized via OpenCL in parallel with DX, or is OCL purely for compute?

One thing I'm wondering is that with both of the next gen consoles rumored to feature GCN cores, whether that means we'll see multi-platform games taking better advantage of video cards featuring GCN.

I assumed the same thing last gen until I saw how 360 ports performed on R6xx compared with GF8xxxx ;)

lol. yeah ATI's illustrious second generation unified gpu was a little bit of a bummer. Maybe one day we will hear about how quirky Xenos probably is.

Could something like that be exposed/utilized via OpenCL in parallel with DX, or is OCL purely for compute?

There's no reason a developer can't use OpenCL and DirectX in the same application but it would be inconvenient to do so.

PRT is a graphics thing though. I'm not sure if there's an OpenGL extension for it already.

wow geforce 660 is still prices about 250 dollar. That about the same price as a single xbox 360 or almost the price of a single PS3.

btw origin games usually nice to work offline so no need to use crack/no dvd patch. Unlike steam games where often failed to work offline.

Have they actually confirmed they're ever going to release on steam, regardless of price?

I ask you to note that EA never released Syndicate on steam, despite its low sales figures. Or maybe rather it is that sales were so low simply BECAUSE they didn't release on steam. In either case, the game still isn't out, and AFAIK no signs pointing to that it ever will be.

Battlefield 3 isn't on steam either, and my suspicion none of EA's recent titles are - or ever will be. They just don't want to share their money with valve anymore, regardless of steam's marketshare.

Yes I know but they did release Crysis 2 (again) eventually on Steam. BF3 because the whole system for online play and stats is tied into Origin so probably not a valid case.

Either way I'll be waiting until it's quite cheap and decide then whether I continue waiting until EA realize they're just hurting their sales.

i dont think whole BF3 system is tied to origin. its tied to battlelog.

in BF3, you can play ONLINE with origin OFFLINE. Very useful to ignore game updates and origin updates.

Yes I know but they did release Crysis 2 (again) eventually on Steam.
True, but why did that happen...? I suppose it was mostly because C2 had already been out on steam and peaked long ago so there wasn't any benefit at all in making it origin-exclusive. It would just have hurt them, as they'd be missing out on steam sales revenue and so on.

BF3 because the whole system for online play and stats is tied into Origin so probably not a valid case.
TBH, the Cryses games have multiplayer modes as well. EA could make an excuse like that for C3 also, if they wanted to.

Either way I'll be waiting until it's quite cheap and decide then whether I continue waiting until EA realize they're just hurting their sales.
He, well I don't mind paying full-price for a game I really want, I simply refuse to hop onto origin (and if anyone feels the need to ask why, then me explaining would be a waste... :LOL:). I am also waiting and hoping that EA will eventually come to their senses and start releasing on steam again; soon preferably.

Is EA still bleeding cash like an executive doing an ED-205 demonstration...? If yes, maybe that could eventually sway the top brass to reconsider their current stance.

Glad to be of service. :) Should have written 209 though, of course... Feel free to correct the quote before you add it to your sig, to hide my embarrassment.

Read yesterday that EA's closing down a bunch of studios. Maybe that means they're still losing lots of money. When's their next conference call?

I just watched crisis 3 play on YouTube and it looks worse than halo 4.

I can't decide that Is the first level really that bad or the YouTube compression make the picture bad

I just watched crisis 3 play on YouTube and it looks worse than halo 4.

I can't decide that Is the first level really that bad or the YouTube compression make the picture bad

You might just try playing it. Your not going to get many people seriously entertaining the possibility that Halo 4 is going to compete graphically with a maxxed out PC version of Crysis 3.

Back