CryENGINE 3

You guys who are good with tech, what engine is the most impressive out of Cryengine 3 and ID Tech 5?

This is mostly a business answer really, but off the top of my head here are some issues bugging me about Tech 5 compared to Cryengine 3:

1) Making demos today is cake. Not anymore with Tech5. How do I easily fire out a 1gb demo with a Tech5 game?

2) Digital distribution is already here in limited form (re-selling classics as downloads), and a more elaborate form of digital distribution looms in the future. Games that need 30gb+ don't play as nice with download services, so if we support Tech5 today, then we'd be hurting ourselves in the future in other money making opportunities.

3) No 24 hour lighting in Tech5, it relies on baking mostly. They may add it in the future, but given that they already need costlier shaders to do megatexture, how many cycles will they have to spare compared to Cryengine 3 to support it?

4) Tech5 works well for some games, not so well for others. This is a huge problem because I can't sell the suits Tech5 as a "tech upgrade + cost savings" measure, since we'd still need to maintain any existing tech. Cryengine 3 on the other hand looks like it may work fine with many types of games so presumably it could replace existing tech (ie, saved time/costs) instead of having to co-exist along side it.

I dunno, I can't see anyone aside from iD or perhaps Bethesda using Tech 5 this gen, whereas it seems to me that Cryengine 3 has potentially more purpose for the next 3 or so years. IMHO of course.

If Bethesda used Tech 5 for a new TES or Fallout game it would mean the end of modding for the series (and most likely a large drop in sales on PC).

The topic is about CryENGINE, not id Tech 5

Even though joker454's latest reply was sensible, let's stop the versus and other engine talk right now before derailling the thread any further.

There are already threads on id Tech 5, so if anyone want to continue discussing the architectural choices and shortcomings of the latest id engine, just bump one of these threads.

I see CryENGINE 3 getting used a lot more than past CryTek engines, and their development on Crysis is giving them a technical lead over everyone else even on consoles now. They are putting themselves in a great position especially for next-gen.

It is unbelievable what they managed to achieve on the PS3 and 360. Unbelievable!!

Very impressive though it is same footage as before. However I am interested in seeing the new features highlighted in gameplay videos as the PC parts of that new video looks fairly much like Crysis tweaked (ultra though disabled LODs and no texture streaming). So show me SOME Crysis 2 footage nAo!

EDIT: I hope this puts UE out of games business becouse this engine is so much better, so much easier to tweak and mod and well the *ONE*!

Last edited by a moderator:
Some bits about editor, DX11 and optimisations regarding all platforms.

http://news.mmosite.com/content/2009-10-13/20091013004810741,1.shtml

happyma.jpg

Very impressive though it is same footage as before. However I am interested in seeing the new features highlighted in gameplay videos as the PC parts of that new video looks fairly much like Crysis tweaked (ultra though disabled LODs and no texture streaming). So show me SOME Crysis 2 footage nAo!

EDIT: I hope this puts UE out of games business becouse this engine is so much better, so much easier to tweak and mod and well the *ONE*!

Is he with Crytek now???

Is it just me or was this the first time they mentioned using voxels aswell?

Nope - They've been used in Cryengine 2 for terrain generation since Crysis. For Cryengine 3, some assumed it wouldn't show up (blaming the consoles' memory pools), but it's been clearly labelled as a feature in slides and videos of Cryengine 3 since it was announced.

Hold on. Assuming you mean UE3.x would any other outcome be acceptable though when you're comparing an engine based on 2005 tech to a brand new 2009 engine?

Anyway, needs more european forest maps. I better start a petition.

Back