CryENGINE 3

Very impressive tech demo for the PS3, there's the popping again and some framerate issues but overall it looks amazing, especially the european forest scene - too bad that game was cancelled.

What game was cancelled?
I am yet to watch the video, but I am guessing its the same demo we have seen before.

As I asked in the PC forum earlier, but this seems a good place.

Will Cryengine 3 improve on its destructibility ? I mean, is there amention anywhere. Cryengine2 was what brought procedural destruction of trees and sheds falling apart on grenade blasts. So, is the next iteration incorporating any more on destructibility ala Red faction ?

What game was cancelled?
The place where you see long pine trees, that was supposedly from a Crytek Project that is now cancelled.
Cryengine2 was what brought procedural destruction of trees and sheds falling apart on grenade blasts
Was it Really ?
Anyways There isnt any sort of info on what level of destructibility CE3 will feature, it could very well remain the same as before.

Will Cryengine 3 improve on its destructibility ? I mean, is there amention anywhere. Cryengine2 was what brought procedural destruction of trees and sheds falling apart on grenade blasts. So, is the next iteration incorporating any more on destructibility ala Red faction ?

The only hint we've got is from the Nanosuit 2 brochure:

Dielectric haptics with integrated EAP
microactuators for unsurpassed motor precision:
punch through a concrete wall,
then carry a china teacup safely across the battlefield.

http://www.crynetsystems.com/files/NanoBrochure.pdf

It may be nothing though.

That video was pretty sick being off screen and all, it did look like CE3 running on a high end PC. I hope a direct feed video would be uploaded soon.

I'm starting to really become a geek - I liked the presentation more than the video.

I'm starting to really become a geek - I liked the presentation more than the video.
:LOL:

(I'm not mocking you) But basically whether it's the one about the nano suit or the one about the tech the presentations are really neat :)
It like books it still allow you wonder, think dream of lot of stuffs, whereas Image and movies often fail to achieve this. It's not bad to escape really some time :)

The only hint we've got is from the Nanosuit 2 brochure:

Dielectric haptics with integrated EAP
microactuators for unsurpassed motor precision:
punch through a concrete wall,
then carry a china teacup safely across the battlefield.
http://www.crynetsystems.com/files/NanoBrochure.pdf

It may be nothing though.

Interesting and a reminder I need to complete the first mission in Crysis carrying a chicken throughout the whole level without it dying ("golden egg achievement").

Going through the slides and thanks for the link btw...they are mentioing 60 fps@1080p under facts...so does that mean that is their goal to achieve till 2012? Or does that mean that on the console that game engine is going to achieve that sort of performance? Bit confused.

I am pretty sure that is next ATI/NV card perfomance acheivement/current cards in CrossFire/SLI perfomance with CE3 optimisations. Considering how CPUs are limiting achieving 60fps even in multi GPU configs due to CE2 pretty much only using 2 cores at best. And then better use of the cores would help a lot. I got my E8400 dual-core and I've yet to see it hit beyond total 65% usage in Crysis.

EDIT: What translator do you use?

Becouse with Babelfish I get a lot of "milk" words and unreadable garbage..
"sou Bian Kangshi the partner milk assists Iraqi milk unreliable Iraq "
:???:

Last edited by a moderator:
Going through the slides and thanks for the link btw...they are mentioing 60 fps@1080p under facts...so does that mean that is their goal to achieve till 2012? Or does that mean that on the console that game engine is going to achieve that sort of performance? Bit confused.

Well it certainly doesn't mean that! :LOL:

Great looking game with great shaders but terrain had too much pop-in. Even nearby rocks will suddenly grow taller. They must fix this. Still i think the graphics are amazing.

Yeah the LODs seemed quite a bit higher than Crysis very high and interestingly much like my ultra config.. TODs mmm! :LOL:
I've never tried any TOD but it appeared the lighting and the amount of geometry have all gone up a notch too. I wonder if this is how the new dynamic GI looks, hm.
I hear ya! I'm totally in touch with that emotion.

The fantasy setting shown in the demo might be the game that was rumoured last year(I think), where they said there's a non-shooter in development for the consoles at Crytek. Cevat says its cancelled too.

The demo is impressive, except for the pop-ups, but I guess they made sure the things up close look the best, to showcase the engine's power, rather than worry too much about pop-ups. Even in the European jungle scene, which he said was exclusively made for the consoles and so has much more on screen than the Crysis port, has a lot of pop-ups for the geometry of rocks and trees.
I am guessing, actual games shipping might have a little loewr graphical quality and lesser pop-ups. Also, alot more would come into play whne its an actual game, and thus, I deduce, their gfx quality might be a little lower than what we see here.
Ah, yes! There's nothing good art choices and good artists can't cover up though.

These looked great, kinda resembles the saturated lighting of Warhead. Though I shouldn't lay more stress on an already stressed HD4870, thanks for the link.

Sure just remember the TODs and HDR/SSAO base settings has no perfomance impact upon your current settings. Will look purdy on high or better however medium and in motion it looks much much better especially coupled with this. And at the final posts there is a config that mimics v.h but costs around high/high+ perfomance. Was made for a 8800GT and 3200+ AMD and runs quite well at higher res. :smile:

I am guessing, actual games shipping might have a little loewr graphical quality and lesser pop-ups. Also, alot more would come into play whne its an actual game, and thus, I deduce, their gfx quality might be a little lower than what we see here.

If they go for a suburban environment they could better control the LODs etc. large buildings/objects making for good culling. I say suburban becouse that teaser trailer showed what seemed to be a city/Hawaii type environment. Well I hope for those types of environments and after watching some USO Youtube videos I would love an underwater based level at some underground base/facility. With great part being scuba based. Strange vessels moving in the thick foggy water, strange lights etc. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still reeling from the showcases at GC 09 I saw on video. They're are truly maximizing what the consoles can do, and showing regardless of ramblings about 360 and PS3 capabilities, there was always lot of headroom in terms of shaders and effects for both of them.

I'm still reeling from the showcases at GC 09 I saw on video. They're are truly maximizing what the consoles can do, and showing regardless of ramblings about 360 and PS3 capabilities, there was always lot of headroom in terms of shaders and effects for both of them.

It's simply a matter of closed boxes, if you would make your game for some specific, say, Core i7 920 with 6GB RAM and HD4890 for example, it would be truly astonishing compared to consoles

It's simply a matter of closed boxes, if you would make your game for some specific, say, Core i7 920 with 6GB RAM and HD4890 for example, it would be truly astonishing compared to consoles
I know. But its a case of seeing developers go out there and push that level of technology, and the practicality of doing so.

I'm just happy they have finally done it for 360 and PS3.

Back