CryENGINE 3

Well in any case it's certainly rendering all the assets then. That would make me happy in the end.

Except those assets in those images are from CE2 and from modders as evident in the links dating weeks/moths back. Heck I even think one of them is with the use of Rygel's texture pack! ;)

Though they could use the EdgeAA on value 2 or similar of CE3 to smooth out edges. Certainly helps a lot with barely any blur on surfaces.

Last edited by a moderator:
Developers qoute:

"The CE3 runs currently at more or less the same quality bar. I say more or less because the engine still optimizes itself to power of the platforms' intrinsics. So the PS3 will run slightly better here, it'll look and feel probably the same, but the engine is diverting computation needs to power subsystems available to the PS3, and the 360 differently, and PC differently."

Controversial part bolded..

Looking at it I see two likely explanations

One: In his head, he was comparing 360 and PS3 only, and indeed saying PS3 will run it a bit better.

Two: He was meaning to use the phrase "PS3 runs it sightly better here, 360 slightly better there" aka each platform has strengths. He simply trailed off or forgot to say the second part or it was implied.

The part that doesnt make sense is if it's explanation one, saying "PS3 runs slightly better here" he's also including PC in that by the latter part of sentence, which doesnt make sense. OTOH if he meant explanation two, each platform has strengths, that doesnt make sense because PC should be superior in every area, but he might have just been expressing an idea, (conforming to platform strengths), rather than meaning it literally.

No way to tell really.

I noticed something else, am I correct? Similar smoke trails from the grenade alt fire but

PS3 appears to be high res smoke (quite a nice effect) at around 0:37 of the long video (2:55)

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/6131/cry11.jpg

360 appears to have low res smoke at around 1:08

http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/3379/cry2.jpg

It's especially noticeable on the HQ 363 MB vid from blim. Youtube HD's while noticeable, dont do it justice. Yes the shots are different, 360 is in motion, but on the blim blim 363 MB vid it definitely seems low res on 360.

I noticed something else, am I correct? Similar smoke trails from the grenade alt fire but PS3 appears to be high res smoke (quite a nice effect) at around 0:37 of the long video (2:55)
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/6131/cry11.jpg

360 appears to have low res smoke at around 1:08
http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/3379/cry2.jpg

Seems a somewhat dubious comparison given how the distances are very different between the two... And clearly the scale of the explosions are different.

Its not that its lower reso or anything, to be me its looks COMPLETEY different the difference is jarring when looking at them side by side. I could be blind though :LOL:

Well it seems like the PS3 version got a layer on top of green/brown vegetation texture or such on some spots. Could though be as Alstrong said, LOD but I think it was that way throughout the 360 panning.

Except those assets in those images are from CE2 and from modders as evident in the links dating weeks/moths back. Heck I even think one of them is with the use of Rygel's texture pack! ;)

Though they could use the EdgeAA on value 2 or similar of CE3 to smooth out edges. Certainly helps a lot with barely any blur on surfaces.

*Mod* Removed reply to banned user

So why would Crytech include those modded CE2 shots in a CE3 presentation? I cetainly admire the beauty of those shots regardless. It's getting increasingly hard to differentiate at this point of which is which.

Seems a somewhat dubious comparison given how the distances are very different between the two... And clearly the scale of the explosions are different.

I think it might be distance as you say and also different material hit and light vs shadowed or also no soft particle vs soft particle blending. The strange thing with the PS3 explosion is that it looked like it was floating midways between the gun and house surface.

Well it seems like the PS3 version got a layer on top of green/brown vegetation texture or such on some spots. Could though be as Alstrong said, LOD but I think it was that way throughout the 360 panning.
I was gonna say, it appears PS3 version shows up more vegetation on top of a sharper look. Still not sure if the blurring was caused by any sort of motion blur effects though. Is either version using OBJ based motion blur?

So why would Crytech include those modded CE2 shots in a CE3 presentation? I cetainly admire the beauty of those shots regardless. It's getting increasingly hard to differentiate at this point of which is which.

Becouse that is what CE3 can do and more.

here are the links to the source images done by modders, custom levels/TODs (browse through the third link, page 2,3 etc).

I was gonna say, it appears PS3 version shows up more vegetation on top of a sharper look. Still not sure if the blurring was caused by any sort of motion blur effects though. Is either version using OBJ based motion blur?

Might be. I doubt the blurring is becouse of motionblur. If so then I've never seen anything similar to it in Crysis/CE2 as the panning is slow yet blurry with no velocity direction "trails". Neither one showed any object motionblur, not present on the tree falling, moving house debris or general movement/animations/shells.

Might be. I doubt the blurring is becouse of motionblur. If so then I've never seen anything similar to it in Crysis/CE2 as the panning is slow yet blurry with no velocity direction "trails". Neither one showed any object motionblur, not present on the tree falling, moving house debris or general movement/animations/shells.
Hope they do get OBJ motionblur in a CE3 based game on consoles at least PS3, coz that'll be significantly beneficial to the overall look of the game.

The more HD the vids I see of this, the more impressive it is to me, culminating of course in Blim's version.

It's definitely pushing some console boundaries. In low def I was unimpressed with the forest areas for example, especially as thats what Crysis is known for. But in HD, they become some of the best graphics I've seen yet on consoles. The quality of the water (forest stream water) also probably sets a new console high er, water mark. Some parts are still weak, but even they look better in HD.

So yeah, I'm sold on crytek's console abilities now..now bring me the game footage at E3 :D

Okay fran is not answering my question but could one of you give me an answer. is fran still with lionhead or is he with crytek.

Okay fran is not answering my question but could one of you give me an answer. is fran still with lionhead or is he with crytek.
Well I don't know, we know that he worked with Lionhead at some point that's it.
It looks like he is still a game developer and even if he quitted at some point his insight would always be welcome. Other than that he has the same right as us in regard to privacy / "anonymousness" so don't try to hard ;)
It would be sad if people willing to share knowledge would become too easy to track /suspected for NDA breaches even not coming from their mouth.

What intrigues me is that the video is VERY 360 biased simply in terms of its shot selection. For example, all of the major shots exhibiting advanced physics and collision detection are running on 360. The final shot starts off with a PS3 shot showing not much at all, then cuts to the same scene on 360 with rain, lightning, the works.

In terms of the ground textures, 360 looks like trilinear, PS3 looks like bilinear. In the initial shot with the reflecting lightballs, the reflections seem to be a higher resolution and more colourful on the 360 shot.

Of course, there are certain aspects that appear to be technically superior on PS3, which several people have already documented, but just from the choice of shots alone, it seems that development on the 360 version of the engine is a bit further along than on PS3.

What intrigues me is that the video is VERY 360 biased simply in terms of its shot selection. For example, all of the major shots exhibiting advanced physics and collision detection are running on 360. The final shot starts off with a PS3 shot showing not much at all, then cuts to the same scene on 360 with rain, lightning, the works.

In terms of the ground textures, 360 looks like trilinear, PS3 looks like bilinear. In the initial shot with the reflecting lightballs, the reflections seem to be a higher resolution and more colourful on the 360 shot.

Of course, there are certain aspects that appear to be technically superior on PS3, which several people have already documented, but just from the choice of shots alone, it seems that development on the 360 version of the engine is a bit further along than on PS3.
The only thing I see missing is the rain in the final PS3 shots. The lightning is at 2:24.

The only thing I see missing is the rain in the final PS3 shots. The lightning is at 2:24.

What grandmaster is saying, and I'd noticed it too, is that it seems some of the most complex scenes are shown only on the 360. The jungle ones with the waterfall on the PS3 are somewhat of a counterpoint, but the final scene with the explosions and stuff probably demands more processing power.

Back