CryENGINE 3

Releasing a screenshot or..ten from Crysis2 would do great justice to all these vague comparisons, I wonder when will we get actual medias again.

What I think is best about CryEngine3 is that it makes CryEngine multiplatform. This should make it far more interesting to develop new games with CryEngine, which hopefully means that we'll be seeing more games based on this excellent engine. That would benefit the PC greatly aswell. Especially if the PC versions continue to have the incredible level of visual quality that the original Crysis and Warhead gave us. Because nearly two years after its release, Crysis still hasn't been outdone by anyone.

But then.. Thats because no-one has the money (nor the motivation to lose it all) needed to build a monolithic engine+tools+game for a platform like the PC. Crysis itself proved that its financial suicide (i.e. regardless of the fact that the did sell a few copies, they likely could never have broke even on the massive costs associated with the game's development) and not something any smart studio head would want to try to build a sustainable business on..

Hence the reason Crytek *needed* to build a multi-platform CryEngine 3.0 in order to secure the future of their business..

http://pc.ign.com/articles/989/989158p1.html

Yerli explained that the very competitiveness of Crytek was at stake. He said that while Crysis was successful from a critical and commercial point of view, but it's breaking even to making some profit. "Going forward we need to be more profitable, and the only way to do that is logically to move our company toward the consoles," Yerli said...

...We asked Yerli about Crysis Warhead, a game that Crytek said was sort of an experiment to see if it could stick with just the PC. "Warhead was a financial success, Warhead was a critical success, Warhead won numerous awards," Yerli said. DeMartini said that it got great reviews and "we were very happy with it." Yerli wouldn't rule out future PC-only games, but Crysis "is our flagship franchise" and they want it to get it to as many gamers as possible.

Doesn't sound that bad. But going multiplatform should bring nice marketing to their game and hopefully the adoption of CE3 by devs will mean better games/utilisation across the platforms.

I hope they can draw the multiplayer crowd they deserve the next time around. Crysis Wars is truly awesome if you're in a good server and have a good PC. Dunno what that has to do with CE3, just saying. :)

Indeed.

Although the GTX280 ran it at 1280x720 it still is a very respectable amount of lights and geometry to render. The "ruin" demo with it's IIRC 1.4m polys (I assume most is visible and rendered per frame as it is a small area with most of it visible) and 500 lights at 120-140fps (PDF document vs video info)... :D

EDIT: Thought it was interesting that all these demos ran on the DirectX 9.0c API. Wonder why they didn't use DX10/DX10.1..

The 2 techdemo videos stitched together (doesn't show light icons nor info as the separate videos at the Crytek link does).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-_pnqXLIg4#

Last edited by a moderator:

As a follow-up:

The award-winning engine developer will show the powerful new “CryENGINE® LiveCreate™” system. CryENGINE® LiveCreate™ adds real-time multi-platform editing of game content to Crytek’s original What You See Is What You Play CryENGINE®3 Sandbox™ editor, allowing genuine, synchronized cross platform game development for the first time.

“CryENGINE® LiveCreate™ allows developers to work with a single editor, but see and play the results in real-time on PC, PS3 and Xbox360, hooked up to a single dev PC. The engine takes care of the conversion and optimization of assets in real-time; enables instant, cross-platform changes to any part of game creation and as a result materially increases the speed and significantly reduces the risk of multiplatform development. Multiple teams are no longer necessary for simultaneous cross platform development – all you need now is much larger desks!” said Carl Jones, Director of Business Development for CryENGINE.

First publicly previewed at the last Game Developers’ Conference in San Francisco, where it was without doubt one of the standouts of the show, CryENGINE®3 has already been licensed to a number of major companies around the globe.

Crytek's Engine Licensing Team will be available during the show for meetings to discuss licensing details with prospective clients. In addition, Crytek will be hosting a series of public presentations of LiveCreate™, CryENGINE®3 Console and the CryENGINE® 3 Sandbox™ Editor at their booth #131.

Indeed.

Although the GTX280 ran it at 1280x720 it still is a very respectable amount of lights and geometry to render. The "ruin" demo with it's IIRC 1.4m polys (I assume most is visible and rendered per frame as it is a small area with most of it visible) and 500 lights at 120-140fps (PDF document vs video info)... :D

EDIT: Thought it was interesting that all these demos ran on the DirectX 9.0c API. Wonder why they didn't use DX10/DX10.1..

The 2 techdemo videos stitched together (doesn't show light icons nor info as the separate videos at the Crytek link does).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-_pnqXLIg4#

Maybe the engine is DX9 only? :oops:

Its getting quite interesting.

I wonder which will come up on top of the "true cross/multiplaform engine interaction thingamajig", CE3 or id Tech 5?

Are they the only two concentrating heavily in this area? (i'm sure epic is scrambling already and if anything have a head start considering the amount of multiplaform UE3 game developments they have data from)

http://www.develop-online.net/features/581/Cryteks-new-free-radicals
Crytek UK MD Karl Hilton ties up loose ends from the studio’s past. After a disappointing critical and commercial response to the PS3 FPS Haze, Free Radical rapidly tumbled into administration. The group was re-named Crytek UK and sees one of the four Free Radical co-founders, Karl Hilton, standing as managing director.

Free Radical made some very high-caliber games and the only way we are going to retain those is if we continue to develop good, original product here (TimeSplitters).

There were 43 people at the studio when Free Radical became Crytek UK. How large is your studio now?
We’re at mid-sixties. Yes quite a few people came back afterwards. We want to grow the studio gently over the next six months to a year, and we’ll probably end up somewhere just under one hundred workers.

People wanted to like Haze, and if you get people to want to like your game, you’ve made an important step.
Haze had a lot of development issues which meant it wasn’t the game it should have been. A lot of them were technical issues; the PS3 is a powerful machine but a difficult one to get the best out of.

We hit a few stumbling blocks on it that meant we spent more time trying get the game running properly and less time to design the game properly.

Don’t get me wrong. For Crytek UK those issues are pretty irrelevant to us now. With what we have with the CryEngine, those problems are gone because the toolset is completely different.

I don’t think we’ve seen the best out of the PS3 at all, and I definitely think one of the best things about Crytek and the CryEngine is that we’re now in the best position to get the most out of the hardware.

Having completely switched over to the CryEngine, our artist tools have moved from Maya to 3D Studio Max. The CryEngine 3 and its tools are genuinely fantastic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back