Criterion Podcast on 360/PS3 development

Knowing who probably has the most free cash flows and who has passed many times into court for their unfair competitive tactics its easier for someone to suspect MS "bribing" individuals to get some things across.

But knowing at the same time how the market works under our noses, it is safer to assume that both MS and Sony "expand their relations" with certain individuals ;)

I doubt though that Criterion is one of these individuals.

Yeah sure they did!

They got paid to develop a game silly! :p

I did relisten to the podcast...

I shall excuse myself to pull that comment like that. It's just plain wrong what I have just written about criterion.... They had to restrict on a lot on what they had to say. I just hate that concept of unlock power... >_>

Maybe - just maybe - Criterion wanted to put out the same excellent game on both formats, with gamers secure in the knowledge that a purchase on either console would be money well spent. And maybe that will translate into bigger PS3 sales which will make cross-platform publishers put a bit more effort into their PS3 releases.

The notion that Sony paid them off is somewhat incredible - if so, Sony didn't get their money's worth as the Xbox 360 version is to all intents and purposes identical.

It seems that just about every developer out there is happy to pump out a PS3 cross-platform conversion that is lacking in some respect. Even big releases like The Orange Box or Assassin's Creed are measurably inferior on PS3.

For Criterion to put out a game as technically impressive and as fun to play on both platforms is the way things should be done. I'm guessing they think so too...

Yes. And they are getting rewarded for it with a number 1 spot on the UK charts today no doubt partly thanks to the game selling equally well on both platforms (53% on 360, 47% on PS3)

This game is an incredible cross-platform achievement. It's the first technically advanced game I've played where I literally cannot tell the difference between the two versions.

I wonder if any one else can?

Even the different RGB output levels of the respective consoles have been balanced.

PS3 has better texture filtering on the road, probably using some kind of aniso. It's even more evident if you use a camera view closer to the ground.

PS: we've seen that up close and personal on a 1080p projector with a ~100" screen.

Back