Cost of building a gaming PC *spawn

PC gaming is absolutely not cheaper than console gaming for an equivalent experience, particularly not in today's ecosystem. It's so obvious I don't see how there can be any actual debate about it.

Uh on my region, pc with rtx 3060 is the same price as PS5. And cheaper if you use the cashback promotions.

Assuming rtx 3060 is comparable to PS5.

It only have 256GB ssd tho. So games would be on hdd, so slower experience.

Uh on my region, pc with rtx 3060 is the same price as PS5. And cheaper if you use the cashback promotions.

What is your region and what are the full specs and pricing breakdown? What are cash back promotions? Permanent or temporary? People love to list highly specific and random deals and ignore all the ways console gaming can be had for cheaper. A 3060 is faster than PS5 with RT and slower without.

Last edited:

India right? I have no idea whats going on over there. But in Europe the cheapest desktop you can get is around €600. But the specs are something like 8GB Ram, a 256GB SSD, UHD Graphics 630 GPU, and an i5 Core i5-10400.
Underwhelming.
I have no freakin clue how you have such prices or if you didnt see correctly. Because once we add a 3060 card in, the prices of these PCs are over the roof.
The cost of a single 3060 is almost at €500. I am sure it is not the price of the PC that you saw but the price of the GPU.

Otherwise I am traveling to india and stock myself up :p

What is your region and what are the full specs and pricing breakdown? What are crash back promotions? Permanant or temporary? People love to list highly specific and random deals and ignore all the ways console gaming can be had for cheaper. A 3060 is faster than PS5 with RT and slower without.

indonesia. cashbacks comes and goes.

turns out without cashback its around 10 USD cheaper than PS5. I misremembered PS5 price when i posted my reply before.

ryzen 4500
256GB SSD
8GB RAM
RTX 3060

turns out without cashback its around 10 USD cheaper than PS5. I misremembered PS5 price when i posted my reply before.

ryzen 4500
256GB SSD
8GB RAM
RTX 3060
So whats the normal price without any cashbacks?

ryzen 4500
256GB SSD
8GB RAM
RTX 3060
That CPU will perform quite a bit worse than PS5 in games. 8GB ram also a major issue. And you will only be able to install 1 game at a time. Is it a prebuilt system? If not did you include the case, motherboard, PSU etc?

That CPU will perform quite a bit worse than PS5 in games. 8GB ram also a major issue. And you will only be able to install 1 game at a time. Is it a prebuilt system? If not did you include the case, motherboard, PSU etc?

its a prebuilt DIY. most PC in my region is like that. yes it includes case, motherboard, PSU.
fortunately it still have 1 RAM slot, so can grab cheap used RAM stick. Yes the SSD is abysmally small.

btw to be clear, it was compared to PS5 digital, not PS5 with disc (as the PC also didnt have disc drive).

I checked prices in indonesian online shops and they arent even remotely hitting the PS5 price point.

Yeah, there's a huge difference between just going into any storefront (retail or online) and picking up a console versus spending potentially hours, days or weeks (depending on whether one wants to try to get their PC built or upgraded under a certain budget) looking for and researching PC parts.
I wish I had only spent weeks researching my recent PC build. Intel vs AMD, chipset pros and cons, motherboard pros and cons, DDR4 vs DDR5, which SSDs, Wait for Nvidia 4xxx or go with cheaper 12Gb 3080. Arghhhh. :runaway:

I'll disagree. I think a poke in the eye with a sharp stick is better than a 3050, although an AMD 6500 XT is worse.
Jeez, how can you people hold these discussions? They are so lacking in meaningful content! How are you defining 'sharp'?! It's so bloody subjective as to make the comparison impossible. Without proper definitions, we can't actually talk about stick sharpness. Please take the time to define your measurements so we all know where you are coming from! I think you'd need the sharpness defined as the point angle (in radians, to be cool) or maybe microns point diameter.

As it is, I've no idea if you're saying a poke in the eye with a compass spike is better than a 3050, or a blunt pencil. Plus where's your link to the research on this? Graphs people; we need graphs!

Last edited:
I can bring you myself as an example. It may seem anecdotal but it can give a perspective of the practicalities involved with people's choices. When I built my newest PC it totally blew my PS4 out of the water. But I built it mainly for work. 48GB Ram, 2 SSDs (one is an M2), a fast HDD, Ryzen 1700 and a 1080ti in 2017. I paid like around €2200 to build that monster.

I had it in my office. Because when I had to be able to concentrate for serious work on 3D, I needed the right set up. The living room is not such a setup
If I enjoyed gaming on a PC monitor, it would have certainly been my choice for gaming. If my priority was gaming on that PC, I would have had it in my living room. Because of work being a priority on my PC and not liking doing my PC stuff or work in my living room, I didnt have it connected on my TV ( Although I did test it to see how great games would look there)

So a console in my living room was a very practical and convenient solution for my gaming needs because thats where (living room) I want to game and I wasnt willing to pay again that much for another PC just for gaming.

I can absolutely understand and sympathise with that. I have always gamed on my PC in my personal living space, be that a bedroom as a kid or a living room as an adult. If I had to move to a different room like an office purely for gaming then I'd also be inclined to just get a console.

That said, despite having both a monitor (38" Ultrawide) and TV (50" OLED) connected to the PC in the living room I usually choose the monitor for gaming for 4 reasons:

• It means I can have the TV on at the same time which is essential for the wife, but even when on my own I often prefer it on in the background (usually as part of a Friday or Saturday night drinking sesh!)
  • At their relative viewing distances the monitor is actually a fair bit bigger so it's easier to make out smaller details, particularly mini maps.
  • The monitor has a few tech advantages over the TV despite having slightly worse picture quality. I.e. it has VRR, it's ultrawide, and it has a sweet Ambilight setup.
  • When I need to use mouse and keyboard
The TV usually gets used for same screen multiplayer or for the very occasional long gaming session where I have the house to myself. I do enjoy kicking back for a few hours on the couch in those rare instances.

A similar reason is why most people who play on consoles in the living room own a PC as well which may or msy not be used for gaming at all.

Indeed and this is another comparative cost saving that can potentially be made by going the PC only gaming route depending on circumstances. No need to spend on a separate PC.

PC gaming is absolutely not cheaper than console gaming for an equivalent experience, particularly not in today's ecosystem. It's so obvious I don't see how there can be any actual debate about it.

To buy outright from scratch, or over the long term? Because over the long term it can absolutely be comparable if you set out for that to be the case (which very few people actually would of course because that defeats the point of PC gaming). In my example, you can see the components I've owned below, and aside from right now, from the point I started building my own PC's (the Pentium 90) I've almost always been either marginally, or more usually, significantly ahead of console performance. Would have been this gen too if it wasn't for the mining craze, but that situation will be resolved shortly with luck. In any case though, when adding up the cost of those components along with the other supporting bits I've purchased over the years, and factoring in game costs, subscription fees, and the need (at least in my case) for a PC regardless of whether I'd use it for gaming, and the long term cost came in around the same, i.e. roughly within £100 pounds per year difference over the whole period.

I wish I had only spent weeks researching my recent PC build. Intel vs AMD, chipset pros and cons, motherboard pros and cons, DDR4 vs DDR5, which SSDs, Wait for Nvidia 4xxx or go with cheaper 12Gb 3080. Arghhhh. :runaway:

I doubt many people go from zero knowledge of the PC ecosystem to building their own PC's. Most people who want to get into PC gaming from scratch will more likely go the pre-built route or ask a friend (or friend of a friend) for advice. For custom builders I would expect knowledge is then built up over time and usually not as a chore, but as a hobby that they enjoy.

Also, Steam's Big Picture mode had an overhaul. How is it now? Reasonable substitute for a console?

If you really wanted to use your PC that way I think it's pretty good. Everything is navigable via controller and easy to find / separated by category, and you can set your PC to launch straight into it from boot just like a console. Personally though I've never found the urge to use it. If you have access to a mouse, using Steam or one of the other game interfaces is much faster. If I had a TV and controller setup only then it would be a workable if less feature rich stand in for a console interface, particularly if you are able to run all of your games through Steam. Unfortunately running games from other platforms (e.g. EGS / UPLAY) via a steam shortcut can sometimes cause issues that you might want to have a mouse ready to deal with. It's likely though that setting those platforms to run at startup in the background would mitigate those - not something I've ever had the need to try.

Last edited:
Oh but i agree with that. Most pc gamers arent looking to match, surpass or stay below console performance. Its not something that really matters in that market. The 3050 might be a very good GPU for many gamers, however in the context of 'matching consoles' the 3050 isnt really it, not PS5/XSX atleast. You'd need a 3060 or better yet a 3060Ti to outmatch them. What 90% of the pc gamer market doesnt need is 4080 level performance... not even 3080 i think lol. These things are so far above the baseline that its kinda overkill for the average joe looking to play some games.... I think GPUs have become outworldly capable these days, CPU's cant even keep up anymore. A two year old 3060Ti is in this context a good enough GPU (or 6600XT, A770 etc). You get more performance than the consoles with the ability to upgrade to a 4060 or 5060 in the future. A 4060 would be not too far off from a 3070Ti i think.

Were being somewhat blinded by the 4090's and 4080's, 7900's etc.
The benchmarks I provided show that it does match the consoles. PS5 can do performance raytracing at 1080p-1440p with reconstruction. The 3050 can do higher raytracing at 1080p with dlss to 4k. I think I'd pick the 3050 over the ps5 in all honesty since I could tweak my settings around what I find is visually pleasing.

I am sure that during the holiday sales you can find 3050s even cheaper and the same with every card outside of new released cards. Prices have been dropping drastically in the market. If you want to build a high class gaming pc and don't mind buying used I've seen 3080s going for $300-$400 usd on ebay. Prices will only drop as amd and nvidia fill out their line up of new card.

If you want to build a computer for cheap what your doing is giving yourself a platform to upgrade from. If you buy a console you are stuck on a static base. For instance lets say you built the computer I discribed. You use it for a year or two and then Fable or Elder scrolls 6 hit and wow its beast the xbox series x is barely keeping a stable frame rate and dynamic res kicks the game down to 1080p. Well obviously the 3050 is going ot have an issue also. But here is the thing. You can go out and buy a 4050 or 4060 or radeon 7500/600 or maybe even a 50 series and 80 series by that point. You then drop the card in to your computer and boom you are now getting the performance you want out of it. That xbox series x is just stuck with that performance

I don't think they're fair for price comparison threads since they're so unavailable to most people. I feel very lucky to have one near me, let alone two, but the trip there and back is a pain in the arse. The tollroad is faster, but that adds another $40+ to the trip. I-94 through Chicago is one of my fave runs because it's a true test of driving ability and guile, it made the "USA's most dangerous stretches of highways" top ten list many, many, many times and I look at it as a challenge so there's about a 30% chance I'll get a ticket for exuberant driving. I much prefer ordering online, but every few years it's really worth the trip for me. I just gotta learn to be a bit more patient and more tolerant of Illinois drivers. (It's a Hoosier thing, I had to put the dig in there. Like how I always pronounce the silent "S" in "Illinois" just to see them cringe. ;) )

I don't count MC for pricing vs online, I just can't. It's unfair.
The only console I know of that has been on sale so far is the xbox series s. the x and the ps5 haven't gone on sale , in some places the ps5 has only gone up in price ! :eek:

The fact that pc hardware goes on sale and there are so many places running different sales is strength of the platform. If we want to talk about series s , that is hard to beat although I'd wager that once the 7x00g platform hits it will pretty much be able to keep up and infact I would recommend that for anyone who wants series s performance at a low price. Much better cpu with a comparable gpu. You can build out the base of your platform mobo/cpu/ ram / storage / case / power supply. Then in the future you can drop in a video card when the intergrated stuff doesn't perform as you want.

If we look at amd on socket am4 you could go from a ryzen 1x00 series to a 3x00 to a 5x00 and get large leaps in performance. I believe that is like 5 or 6 years worth of upgrades ? So 2022 for socket am5 puts you potentially at 2027 for being able to slot in the newest cpus.

Last edited:
The only console I know of that has been on sale so far is the xbox series s. the x and the ps5 haven't gone on sale , in some places the ps5 has only gone up in price ! :eek:
Where I am Nintendo Switch and Series S are the only consoles that you can find easily.

Every other console including PS4's are out of stock!

I get the impression that some locations may have large stocks of Series S.

Jeez, how can you people hold these discussions? They are so lacking in meaningful content! How are you defining 'sharp'?! It's so bloody subjective as to make the comparison impossible. Without proper definitions, we can't actually talk about stick sharpness. Please take the time to define your measurements so we all know where you are coming from! I think you'd need the sharpness defined as the point angle (in radians, to be cool) or maybe microns point diameter.

As it is, I've no idea if you're saying a poke in the eye with a compass spike is better than a 3050, or a blunt pencil. Plus where's your link to the research on this? Graphs people; we need graphs!

Also, what kind of stick is it? Is a natural stick or a manufactured one? GMO or non-GMO? Organic or non-Organic. Made from Free Range wood or were they caged in a tree farm? These are important things to know when determining whether one wants to be poked in the eye with a stick or not. :p

Regards,
SB

The benchmarks I provided show that it does match the consoles. PS5 can do performance raytracing at 1080p-1440p with reconstruction. The 3050 can do higher raytracing at 1080p with dlss to 4k. I think I'd pick the 3050 over the ps5 in all honesty since I could tweak my settings around what I find is visually pleasing.

I am sure that during the holiday sales you can find 3050s even cheaper and the same with every card outside of new released cards. Prices have been dropping drastically in the market. If you want to build a high class gaming pc and don't mind buying used I've seen 3080s going for $300-$400 usd on ebay. Prices will only drop as amd and nvidia fill out their line up of new card.

If you want to build a computer for cheap what your doing is giving yourself a platform to upgrade from. If you buy a console you are stuck on a static base. For instance lets say you built the computer I discribed. You use it for a year or two and then Fable or Elder scrolls 6 hit and wow its beast the xbox series x is barely keeping a stable frame rate and dynamic res kicks the game down to 1080p. Well obviously the 3050 is going ot have an issue also. But here is the thing. You can go out and buy a 4050 or 4060 or radeon 7500/600 or maybe even a 50 series and 80 series by that point. You then drop the card in to your computer and boom you are now getting the performance you want out of it. That xbox series x is just stuck with that performance
No it can’t.

No it can’t.

1668038353328.png

It's doing it here at 1440p High quality with High ray tracing. Turn on DLSS and you have upscaling to 4k like I said. Lower it down to 1080p for even better frame rates

And here is a video of the 3050 doing 1080p very high / ray tracing very high with dlss getting you 30-60fps. If you use DF's as close to ps5 settings as possible you will get better performance

Drop ray tracing down to High from very high and you get even better frame rates.

The ps5 in this instance seems to be between a 3050 and 3060

Last edited:
View attachment 7485

It's doing it here at 1440p High quality with High ray tracing. Turn on DLSS and you have upscaling to 4k like I said. Lower it down to 1080p for even better frame rates

And here is a video of the 3050 doing 1080p very high / ray tracing very high with dlss getting you 30-60fps. If you use DF's as close to ps5 settings as possible you will get better performance

Drop ray tracing down to High from very high and you get even better frame rates.

The ps5 in this instance seems to be between a 3050 and 3060
PS5 doesn't run this game at 30 fps. The video isn't showing up.

To buy outright from scratch, or over the long term? Because over the long term it can absolutely be comparable if you set out for that to be the case (which very few people actually would of course because that defeats the point of PC gaming). In my example, you can see the components I've owned below, and aside from right now, from the point I started building my own PC's (the Pentium 90) I've almost always been either marginally, or more usually, significantly ahead of console performance. Would have been this gen too if it wasn't for the mining craze, but that situation will be resolved shortly with luck. In any case though, when adding up the cost of those components along with the other supporting bits I've purchased over the years, and factoring in game costs, subscription fees, and the need (at least in my case) for a PC regardless of whether I'd use it for gaming, and the long term cost came in around the same, i.e. roughly within £100 pounds per year difference over the whole period.
Both. Your 670 was the same price as an entire PS4. A couple years in and it was already struggling just to match a PS4. You then spent another ~$400 on a 1070. You are now at double the investment on GPUs alone not even factoring in any other upgrades you required. Console games have sales just like PC games too. Those same questionably legit key sites that sell PC games also sell console games. Console subscriptions also have sales. You can also sell and trade in/buy used console games which isnt even an option on PC. I don't agree the pricing situation will be resolved. Prices are trending upwards, not downwards for new GPUs. Your specific need for a PC is legitimate but that's a different argument.

Last edited:
Back