Cost of building a gaming PC *spawn

Seems like the pricing structure of both vendors this generation is completely f-ed up. I don't see where they can go with lower products without then being uncompetitive with the previous generation from a price/performance perspective.

I dunno, at $1000 that's already a huge push. To say anyone can just as soon push out for another 60% is insane.

It's $1200 vs $1600. a $400 difference. If you already have $1200 wait another month or two of saving and get the better hardware.

I think we both agree if you can afford the $900 7900xt save another $100 and get the 790xtx right ? If you could afford to buy the $900 408012 gig might as well save and get that $1200 4080 16 gig.

It's $1200 vs $1600. a $400 difference. If you already have $1200 wait another month or two of saving and get the better hardware.

I think we both agree if you can afford the $900 7900xt save another $100 and get the 790xtx right ? If you could afford to buy the $900 408012 gig might as well save and get that $1200 4080 16 gig.

No, I was entirely talking about $1K for AMD versus $1600 Nvidia, which is why I said a $600 difference. At some point even an extra 20% when it's $200 is one step too far.

No, I was entirely talking about $1K for AMD versus $1600 Nvidia, which is why I said a $600 difference. At some point even an extra 20% when it's $200 is one step too far.
The question there is the performance. Is the $1600 for the 4090 less than the additional performance ? Personally I could get two 7900xtxs for my wife and i is a better deal if it performs as I want in the titles we play. But we have a 3070/3080 . I've already said I will wait for starfield benchmarks. But I think I am better served with cpu upgrades. I dunno only time will tell but I think its a compelling point about the price differences between same company cards

Seems like the pricing structure of both vendors this generation is completely f-ed up. I don't see where they can go with lower products without then being uncompetitive with the previous generation from a price/performance perspective.
What do you think needs to happen in order to push costs down? Console seems like pretty good deal in era of rising PC component costs but PC can't just keep rising forever right? They have to level off somehow?

Those are really big numbers! These used to be the pricing of the professional tier GPUs.

Thats because those are essentially professional tier GPUs. A 4060 will most likely be more capable than the 960 for its time.

What do you think needs to happen in order to push costs down? Console seems like pretty good deal in era of rising PC component costs but PC can't just keep rising forever right? They have to level off somehow?

Most pc gamers are going to look at XX60 class gpus (4060, 7600xt etc). We shouldnt either forget console gaming has become more expensive too, not just hardware but in special everything around it.

The question there is the performance. Is the $1600 for the 4090 less than the additional performance ? Personally I could get two 7900xtxs for my wife and i is a better deal if it performs as I want in the titles we play. But we have a 3070/3080 . I've already said I will wait for starfield benchmarks. But I think I am better served with cpu upgrades. I dunno only time will tell but I think its a compelling point about the price differences between same company cards
Yes this; It's a lot more than just the GPU however.
You're going to need the accompanying hardware to ensure that the GPU is the bottleneck. This is not a cheap endeavour and the way we are as a global market, I can't see this being anywhere close to the norm ... perhaps ever.

People would be much more comfortable paying for streaming well before asking everyone to get onboard $3000 dollar rigs just for -some- games.

Even if you had that much power on tap, you still need the software to catch up to take advantage of it. I can't imagine many developers being able to push asset levels to that level simply. UE5 is in the right direction of course, but it's a big ask.

Kinda crazy if you think that consoles are in 10 teraflops area and still suffer from not having proper next gen titles. And there we have 60-70 teraflops gpus. What to do whit all that power

Thats because those are essentially professional tier GPUs. A 4060 will most likely be more capable than the 960 for its time.

Most pc gamers are going to look at XX60 class gpus (4060, 7600xt etc). We shouldnt either forget console gaming has become more expensive too, not just hardware but in special everything around it.
Fair but it's nowhere near the same rate of inflation so consoles have much easier time balancing their cost to performance ratio unlike PC market where the vendors seem to just expect their customers to pay outrageously amounts up front

Things like ps plus new tiers and gamepass also have a place in the convo in addition to plenty of software sales on the marketplace.

Big problem I always found with PCs, when you wait for prices to drop, it is usually accompanied with the appearance of better hardware. So you are back at where you started when the hardware you were waiting to drop in price was more high end but was pricey. You just hope you will find an exceptional deal through a lot of search or that you have the extra cash.

edit: I was lucky to build my PC at a pretty good deal with an 1080ti before the RTX cards appeared. Even then it wasnt late that the RTX cards were announced. At least my card could punch pretty high and was comparable to the first RTX cards in performance without RT on for a while. But NVIDIA are pretty smart. Once the RTX cards became a thing they deliberately stopped supplying 1080ti's. They could have reduced their price and sell them as affordable super powerful cards but they couldnt excuse such a powerful card in the market at a significantly cheaper price than the first RTX cards. They instead eliminated that and kept the weaker cards at a similar price point they had before to sell more RTX GPUs at a premium and get some hefty profits from the other cards. Bitches

Last edited:
Fair but it's nowhere near the same rate of inflation so consoles have much easier time balancing their cost to performance ratio unlike PC market where the vendors seem to just expect their customers to pay outrageously amounts up front

Things like ps plus new tiers and gamepass also have a place in the convo in addition to plenty of software sales on the marketplace.

It all depends on the MSRP for a 4050/4060 i think, 4080, 4090 (and AMD equalivents) arent for your average pc gamer. A R5 3600/3060Ti system does tag along very nicely. Prices arent so outragous if you want atleast console performance, or above. I just dont see why 90% of the gaming market needs 60+TF gpus.
Remember that current gen console gamers are sitting on 10TF with lacking RT/ML performance GPUs, teamed to low clocked zen2 products. The performance deltas are just extremely large when looking at these titan class gpus of today (100TFs or more).

Who is the accused liar? Clicking your link doesnt really reveal the nasty liar, but directs one to the end of the DF video?

Do costs need to come down ?

The 6800 is $500 bucks and I am sure you can find sales of it costing even less. that is more powerful than the series x and ps5. I am sure this time next year it will be replaced with a 7x00 card that performs as well or better while using less power and generating less heat and the cost / performance ratio will go up again when the ps5/xbox series are still running the same price / performance of 2020.

I think the thing is that performance is still going up while costs are going down. its just not as quick as it was in the past.

Looking at pricing out there you can build a system much faster than a series x / ps5 for about $600-1k depending on what you want to put into it
Yes this; It's a lot more than just the GPU however.
You're going to need the accompanying hardware to ensure that the GPU is the bottleneck. This is not a cheap endeavour and the way we are as a global market, I can't see this being anywhere close to the norm ... perhaps ever.

People would be much more comfortable paying for streaming well before asking everyone to get onboard $3000 dollar rigs just for -some- games.

Even if you had that much power on tap, you still need the software to catch up to take advantage of it. I can't imagine many developers being able to push asset levels to that level simply. UE5 is in the right direction of course, but it's a big ask.

Like I said in other posts , in the last 3 years pc gaming has doubled in Japan. I don't see that trend going away. I think what valve is doing is very smart. You can go super high end with a $5k computer or you can go down to a $400 steam deck. The games work across the board . I think MS has some pieces of this in play with the the x and s and all the streaming devices that xcloud works on. nintendo has the switch which is hybrid and even sony is now releasing on pc. If you think about it in the future gains will be much lower. I doubt the next generation of consoles will even offer close to what this generation offered interms of of performance increases. So the pc while more expenisve might be the only place you will continue to see larger performance increases.

If you think about the pc the design of a pc case hasn't changed in 20-30 years at this point. As things slow we will see innovation there , we can also see multi gpu and cpu set ups come back. Who knows we might even see co-processors again dedicated to just AI or just Sound or just something new . The pc offers that because of its large form factor. I think console will always have push back if you try and make the system too big and too expensive
lol

Do costs need to come down ?

The 6800 is $500 bucks and I am sure you can find sales of it costing even less. that is more powerful than the series x and ps5.
Thats the price of just the card :p
The functions of co-processors tend to be incorporated within the GPUs and/or CPUs themselves for multiple practical reasons including costs and having a more unified support. It is already complicated supporting so many CPUs and GPUs let alone having to support multiple designs of specialized co-processors as additional components

Last edited:
Directx 12 GPUs on Steam which account for >90% of user hardware. RTX 3000 Series makes up of 24.14% of gpus using Steam. Thats practically 1 in 4 users. 37% of users have an RTX and 3-series outnumber 2-series RTX by 2 to 1. If we go by 120 million steam users, there are more 3-series RTX based PCs then there are PS5s by a healthy amount. And this happened despite gpus pricing being utterly ridiculous due to the crypto market.

1667859838382.png

Last edited:
Looking at pricing out there you can build a system much faster than a series x / ps5 for about $600-1k depending on what you want to put into it

Um...$600?! I'd like to see that parts list. $1k is a stretch considering a 3060ti is ~$450, which is about the minimum for 'faster' than PS5/SX (RX6800 at $500 would stomp them though), but probably doable in that range, especially if you stick to a previous-gen CPU and DDR4. I have no idea how you would swing $600 though.

Back