Console forum locked?

Tommy said:
I vote to shut it down permanently unless it can somehow be moderated in a fair way which doesn't seem possible....considering the very PC nature of this site....and hence a necessary allegiance to Microsoft even if it is a minor one.

Um... no? Sony builds PC's, and GameCube has an ATi chip in it - and Nintendo has an alliance with ATi for the next gen. So why is an allegiance to Microsoft necessary?

Oh man. Just open the console forums now. I think it will become much better now. Especially if the moderators post a STICKY which says:

"Crappy threads will be closed at sight. This includes threads gone wrong."

And there you go. Easy to moderate. Easy to read. Easy to post.

For myself, I don't get all this moaning really. I've seen far worse examples of forums.

phed said:
Oh man. Just open the console forums now. I think it will become much better now. Especially if the moderators post a STICKY which says:

"Crappy threads will be closed at sight. This includes threads gone wrong."

And there you go. Easy to moderate. Easy to read. Easy to post.

For myself, I don't get all this moaning really. I've seen far worse examples of forums.

errrmmm u seem to be missing a point:

The mods don't want to have to do that. They're hardly ever around and therefore the threads will not be shut down "at sight" unless you mean "at sight of a mod, as in every 2 weeks".

I agree there is MUCH MUCH worse around in terms of trolling, however those sites are quite different from B3D. It's only fair if Dave wishes HIS WEBSITE to stay as "serious" as possible.

I think that in the short run we should have a few elected posting insider/rare news on next gen architectures, so the interested ones can just read that and be happy. THEN if Dave feels he wants to give it a try, we should go back to normal. Personally, until REAL info on next gen console comes up, i don't see the point of having a forum where half of the threads are locked because some kid posted his thoughts on how [put name of corp here] will fail. Or, worse, posting financial papers "proving" that company will die, without listening to people who know about Finance explaining them how things really work... :rolleyes:

Think about Gamasutra.com. I haven't checked the forum there in a long time (it was pretty much non-existant until not too long ago), but that is one hell of a good site and it would be shameful for me if i were the owner to have children troll around and ruin something i'm trying to keep as professional as possible...

Let me start by saying that this is a private forum, it is owned by 1 person. Dave Baumann is the owner.

When you(the reader) walk into someones house do you shit all over the place? Do you pick fights with other guests? Do you insult and argue with the owner of the house over what you want or don't want?

Think of this forum as Dave's house, we are guests in his house. Dave has every right to tell us to piss off, close down forums or ban us without a reason. Of course that's not what Dave does but they are he's rights. We shouldn't come to Dave's house to piss at each other and ruin his home. We have absolutely no right to tell him how to run his home.

Visiting Beyond3D is a privilege not a right. :)

When you(the reader) walk into someones house do you shit all over the place? Do you pick fights with other guests? Do you insult and argue with the owner of the house over what you want or don't want?

Well yes - but only on one occasion! :devilish:

Never read the Console forums much myself. I tried once or twice but at first glance it did seem that the signal to noise ratio was very poor and I just gave up.

K.I.L.E.R said:
Visiting Beyond3D is a privilege not a right. :)
Isn't it more like a symbiotic relationship?

posters = community = steady traffic = chance for good sponsors = earnings with banners

No idea how much damage the console forum caused to Dave's earnings, maybe the console forum gained critical mass and that scared away pc-consumers and thereby people who are targeted by the current advertising?

Anyway, the console-forum is unique on the net. It's not all bad, it's just a little out of shape, but leaving it closed will fix nothing ...

"It's so easy to condemn and so hard to create" -H.J.Simpson

I remember when the Console board went wrong.. Chap is the name..

Until he arrived it was good and fair eventhough there were fans and users/developers of every console posting..

Actually i read some of the most interesting stuff in the forum..

Why the mods didn't remove chap from the first go (and everyone like him) is beyond3d me.

It only takes one rotten apple to spoil it all and if noone is gonna remove it then what?

And i made this cool looking WRC3 video and actually had something cool i could post.. but now.. i'm homeless...

Well, first off Chap isn't the ONLY problem on that board; and if you think the problems only started with him, please open your eyes a bit.

And second, there's a REASON nobody actually NAMES ALOUD any people they think may have been causes for problems there. (people usually say "four quick bans", not "ban ****, ****, ****, and ****") Look up TACT in any dictionary please.

Isn't it more like a symbiotic relationship?

posters = community = steady traffic = chance for good sponsors = earnings with banners

This is a more accurate depiction. The members of this community are more like customers than guests IMO.

How about some customer service, Dave!!

/me runs away :p

The forum is up now anyway... looks like this place can die down again.

AFAIK Beyond3D is a non profit site, Dave only earns enough to break even. He makes no profit.

It is his site and we as 'customers' or guests have no rights of the things I mentioned above.

Back